You are here

Pennsylvania CS - Can BM get more CS because we are now married?

LValleyGirl28's picture
Forums: 

I have been reading the CS material in the topic and am so confused. Does anyone know anything about PA CS laws? Can the wicked BM get more CS with the addition of my salary? DH and I both make about $40,000 per year. DH covers SD6's medical, dental and vision care.

We want to buy a home and have our own kids soon. But I don't want to be broke living on welfare because whacko can dig into my salary!

StepG's picture

of any state that takes into account the new spouse income.

smurfy1smile's picture

check out this website - it has the calculator so you get an idea of CS in PA

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/pennsylvania/

I went over some of the guidelines and it clearly states NCP and CP - nothing about a new spouse but I would double check with a child support officer/worker to be super sure.

doglover1's picture

And thought that the greedy BM could take part of my pay...believe me I would have gotten a divorce before I let that happen! Anyway the answer is NO...its his salary and hers .

Susanna's picture

I've looked into this one myself here in WA state. I was told that it is generally not a factor, but that it can be considered on occasion. So far this has not happened despite BM's many attempts to have it considered.

"One breath at a time is an acceptable plan."
Ani DiFranco

Gestalt's picture

any way legally financially responsible for their step children, their income is irrelevant, the only time it becomes relevant is when the court suspects (and is provided evidence) that the parent is "shirking" and hiding income through the spouse....such as them starting a business together but the spouse owns the business and the payingparent is getting paid like $8.00 per hour....

"The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change, So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding, and love." -Jennifer Edwards

KittyKat's picture

I'm in PA and I haven't taken CS from my XH in YEARS...reason being, when his plant closed, he has been unable to find any kind of decent-paying job. My DH and I are fine, so we really don't need the money. (XH does give our BD money if she asks, he is forking over $200.00 for her prom expenses, etc.)

Hs wife has a nice career and makes good $$, but that is not even a factor. It's only my XH and my salary here in PA. To my knowledge, no exceptions.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."-Eleanor Roosevelt

LValleyGirl28's picture

Thank you all for your help. I can breathe again!

TinaKay's picture

Child support is paid for only by the parent, not the new spouse.
If new spouses income was calculated in child support, no one would get married for a second time.

What you need to make sure of in a second marriage is that you discuss all the other things, like whose name the life insurance and beneficarys are... would hate to see you married 30 years and then your spouse dies and you find out her has listed his grown kids and ex as beneficiary to all his assets and you are left with nothing.