You are here

child support and 17%?

new evil stepmom's picture
Forums: 

I have a few questions on child support in WI.

If a father pays 17% of his income, is it just 17% of his 40 hours per week or do they take it from overtime too?

If the father is laid off, is the 17% then taken from the unemployment benefits?

In WI unemployment is only $350/week, so his child support payment would only be $59.50/week?

Exhausted SM's picture

I am not sure about WI but in Texas it is 20% for the first child and 5% for each additional child. Overtime can only be factored in if it is a consistent amount on every paycheck. My hubby's OT doesn't get factored in because some paychecks have 5 hours, some have 30 and some have none. So I would definitely check into that in your state.

sparky's picture

"If the father is laid off, is the 17% then taken from the unemployment benefits?" yes You have to go to court to get it reduced from the original amount to the unemployment amount.

storm's picture

In IL, they take a look at the last few pay periods when determining child support. This amount, if 17%, is determined based on an average of those paystubs. It is a set amount no matter what the actual paycheck is each week or bi-week. In IL you would have to go back into court and ask the court to reduce the amount of child support based on the new income. For example, in 1995 I started receiving $68/week based on what my son's father made at that time. I'm quite sure he makes more money than he did then, but I have never asked for an increase. So, in 2008 I still get $68/week no matter what amount he makes.

"That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."
Dorothy Parker, 'But the One on the Right,' in New Yorker, 1929
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)