You are here

BM takes SD7 out of school

swatson525's picture
Forums: 

We are consistently dealing with my SD being taken out of school by her BM on the days she has her. Or she is always get the child to school late. BM moved 45 miles outside of the major city we live in. She always complains about traffic bringing her to school but she is the one who moved out that far. We aren't really sure what we can do to make sure the kid isn't missing so much school. The school is not really helping and we are keeping track with the days she isn't in school and tardy which always fall on BM days. She literally only has to bring her to school mon and tues and we get her back tues. She just recently took her out of school early on a friday for "family emergency". She never tells us when she is missing school or when she is taking her out. She said she was in school yesterday but she didn't show up to school until 11:30 so she had missed the first 2 periods already. Any advice? 

ESMOD's picture

I would definitely be tracking this so that he has a record.  I am guessing if it gets to be a big enough of an issue, he could possibly try to change custody so that she only is with her mother on days that she does not have school.. or many fewer days at least.

I know my SD almost was held back when she was in Jr High because her mother had her out of school a lot.  It was actually in many cases for excused types of absences that her mother neglected to provide documentation for.  I actually tried to get involved to sort some of it out since she was on my insurance.. so I had records of days she had her Dr appts.. BM got pretty crappy with me.. at that point, I told her she was a bad mother and I wouldn't have had to step in if she had done what she was supposed to do.  CLICK.. funny.. BM was pretty much avoiding me after that.. lol.

CLove's picture

We always worry when Toxic Troll has Munchkin SD13 on a weekend, because she seems to always have an issue getting her to our house on Mondays (Her school is on Dh's way to work). Munchkin was taken out of school so she could apartment hunt last November-ish when TT was evicted.

Then she took her out because she wanted to get a shelter dog.

Once she held her home because "strep throat", and we found out they went to the local mall.

And normally this kid lovs school (her friends) and has a perfect attendance record.

I told Munchkin that high school will be much different and attendance will matter much more.

All we can do is document as much as possible. And encourage Munchkin to go to school.

notsobad's picture

When DH and BM were still together, he was the one who got the skids up and made sure they were on track to get out to the bus stop, which was in front of their house. Once he moved out, BM didn't bother to get the skids up because she was still in bed till noon.

The school called DH and told him the skids were at risk of being kicked off their teams and out of school. (Honestly, the teams were more important to the skids) When he called BM she said they were tired and wouldn't learn anything if they were tired so she let them stay home!? Crazy, huh.

It was HS and so DH sat the skids down and basically told them that if they didn't get themselves up and to school they'd not be able to play on their teams and there was nothing he (or BM) could do about it. School policy said if they missed too many days they couldn't play. They were old enough to be responsible for themselves. Luckily it worked. In the end both skids got scholarships for Uni. But you know BM took credit for their great athletic skills and the fact that she raised them right!

Rags's picture

Engage with the district truancy office and report every attendance infraction they BM facilitates.  We never allowed S: to miss school unless he was legitimately ill.

The SpermClan  tried to get us to agree for him to miss school for their family events but we never allowed that to happen.  The CO was clear that visitation could never interfere with school.

swatson525's picture

The only thing i'm worry about is that the school marks them all as excused for "family emergencies" so I am not sure how that will play a part but she is also tardy to school almost every day her BM has her as well.

Rags's picture

It used to be that it took a signed note from a Doctor to excuse the absence. Parents could not excuse school absences for their kids.

Oh for the good old days.

smh