You are here

What age does SD need to be before "family court" stops interfering????

marysmithus's picture

I'm talking about family court NOT support court which I know goes to 21 in my state. My husband or BD has two children with BM. A 14S and 17D. The 14S I can tolerate BUT the 17D is a complete nightmare. As soon as she hit middle school she became a total disrespectful, stealing, lying trouble making b@tch which only got worse as she got older. Around 2 years ago it all came to a head with where BD was trying to discipline SD for stealing. 17D did not like what her consequences so she ran out of the house and called BM to come get her by telling her lies. BM refused to make BD follow the rules that BD was trying to make stating poor 17D has all these "emotional problems", depression, ADHD and a bunch of other crap. 17D has been in "therapy" for years and loves it. 17d knows how to play the pity card to get out of things.  This being said BD refuses to let 17D back in the house till she can agree to behave.

My life has been great since 17D has been gone. The problem is BM wants BD involved with 17D. NOT because she is a good mom BUT because she can't handle her either and wants help dealing with her but would never say this. The problem has been family court. BM LOVES dragging BD back for every little thing and no mater what it is family court( judge and LG) loves to tell BD what a awful father he is for not sweeping everything under the rug and go crawling back to 17D begging her to come back. NO JOKE I HATE FAMILY COURT! Now I'm one to forgive BUT 17D has not changed and BM refuses to change her way of thinking. This being said my question is WHEN will family court stop trying to guilt BD into therapy or turning the other check as far as 17D? I'm "hoping" if we make it till 17D turns 18 before BM drags BD back to family court they will no longer bring her up.

tog redux's picture

If DH is the NCP, they cannot make him take visitation.  If you are in the state I think you are in (mine), even with 50/50 custody, one parent is still designated as Non-Custodial Parent.  And if that's DH, he doesn't have to take his visitation.

But at 18, they do totally lose any jurisdiction over custody matters.

marysmithus's picture

CAN'T force him to do anything regarding visitation. BUT they can poor on the guilt and make him feel like a dirtball father. Also they have been dangling(blackmailing) 14S visitation. Meaning BD wants more time with his son BUT the court keeps throwing in his face "you want more time with your son but look how you turned your back on poor innocent( gag) 17D maybe your not fit as a father to have more time with your son"). All this is wearing BD down and my fear is he may cave. We have less than 1 year till the little psychopath is 18 and I'm just hoping once that happens the court will stop trying to push 17D back onto BD.

tog redux's picture

Yes, not visiting one child probably does affect the court's view of you if you try to get more time with another child. They tend to believe women over men, so if BM is spinning it all to make herself and SD victims, they likely take the bait.

Why not wait until she ages out to try to get more time with SS? At that point, they will likely give his voice more consideration (SS's).

marysmithus's picture

can't tell BD he has bad "daddy guilt" and I'm afraid he will lose his balls and let that psychopath back into our lives. So I'm just trying to stall BD going back to court the best I can till 17D turns 18. 17D will NEVER reach out to BD as she's to much of a spolied bitch. She wants him to come crawling back to her. BD hates BM so she will have no pull without the backing of the court to sway him. This being said once the damn court backs off I think we will be in the clear.

tog redux's picture

I'm confused, how is court even involved? BM can't file a petition to make him visit.

marysmithus's picture

told BM her dad hit her. This was a total lie which later was proved but not before CPS was involved and BM filed a court order to get full custody of both kids. Lying is another BIG reason I don’t want her within a hundred feet of me. It was not until the middle of court did the truth came out she lied about the whole thing. Instead of punishing her both BM and court used her so called mental illness as a scapegoat. My husband and I were not so forgiving. He could have gone to jail or lost his younger child.  The court and BM could not believe my husband could just turn his back on his poor Innocent child in her mental state. Now my husband is thinking of going back to court to get more parenting time with the younger child but I KNOW both BM and the court will be “what about your oldest”

barbKarin's picture

drama doesnt magically end when she turns 18. If he allows it, the guilting will continue forever.

CLove's picture

Hello - not to nit pick AT ALL - I am just accustomed to the acronymns used here a certain way. So - BD for you is Bio-Dad? Also, there might be information in the Family Court Forum - you can do a search and look through all the posts there. Just an FYI. Good luck!

SM = stepmother

SD = stepdad or step daughter

BM = biological mother

BF = usually biological father but every now and then some use for boyfriend

SS = step son

BS = biological son

BD = biological daughter

DW = dear wife

DH = dear husband

DD = dear daughter

DS = dear son

POA = power of attorney