You are here

Total cluster F@ck Any advice appreciated

Stepmomkate1's picture

SS14 is prone to violent outbursts and has a history of mental illness. Things are pretty under control for the most part EXCEPT school work. To Say getting him to do homework is a nightmare is an understatement. 

SS14. SS14 will lie about homework,  refuses any help and if pushed will Literally flipped out screaming, swearing, smashing things at home. DH will Have to Literally sit with SS14 and basically spoon feed SS14 the answers. BUT even now SS14 is refusing to even do this.

DH has almost daily contact with SS14 teachers because SS14 is saying he does not know how to do a certain Assignment or can't find it. The teachers then basically spell it out to DH in a email how to do the assignments. Once SS14 no longer can use any excuse he can't find it or know how to do a certain assignment SS14 then just comes out and says he's not doing it as he does not care if he fails. Again if pushed SS14 flips out screaming. 

What in gods name would make SS14 fight doing homework so much? 

Stepvice's picture

Have you all tooken him to a psychiatrist for his mental health history? Sometimes they can prescribe medicine ect or work with his resistance. I've seen kids with ADHD cool in some areas but terrible at school. It could also be he hates school. It also sounds like oppositional defiant disorder if he's violent.

Harry's picture

What ever SS is doing it's working.  He dose what ever he wants with no punishment to him.  So it's will keep on going. 

CajunMom's picture

your state's National Guard Youth Challenge. It's a program for teens like your SS. It's FREE. I've known several kids who've done the program and all but one escelled. 

justmakingthebest's picture

Obviously this is NOT normal. I agree with those who said he needs to see a psychiatrist first, if he isn't already. Medication may be an option, if he isn't already on something.

Then comes tough love, in my book. If we have treated medically and that doesn't work, we are going to do things the hard way. Boot camp, Youth Challenge- whatever it takes to physically whip him into shape. Unfortunately at 14 you have very little time left to play games.