You are here

still no answer - need help please !

pat's picture

I posted a couple days ago. My question is, do I invite my parents to my wedding even though they don't like my fiance and still deal with my psycho ex because of my kids? I am on the fence on this.I need to send out invites to my family, ( aunts, uncles, cousins ). I told them not to deal with her, but, they even ivite her to family events ! All she is doing is trying to piss me off and tear my family away from me,like she has already done. What would you do ?

rottierunner's picture

You know the answer, however instead of giving my opinion,

Think of this: What makes you feel happier/peaceful:
The thought of having your parents at the wedding or
The thought of not inviting/having them at the wedding ?

You cannot control the actions of other people, only your reaction to them.....

Congratulations

pat's picture

Steperg, do you think they would ruin things ? It does matter that they respect my other half.

Tx mommy of 3's picture

Yep. Invite them. Of course. If they don't come, that's on them. You don't want them to say 'well you never even invited us...' that would cause more probs.

Hmmm's picture

Would estimate majority of the weddings in the US take place with at least one wedding guest/relative not liking one half of the wedding couple. You should invite them, or that will start a whole new thing. And they'll blame your fiancee.

pat's picture

Happy, if you don't hold a grudge that means he is back in your life? Has it happened again that he has said negative things about your partner ?

starfish's picture

i've read many of your posts, pat... i think eloping would be the best thing for you... save you a lot of money in the long run.... honestly, i think you should have a longer engagement..

but if you are having a formal affair, you should definitely invite your parents.......

pat's picture

thanks Star. Money is not the issue here. We are doing it right for the last time in both of our lives. We both want a nice wedding on the beach. Thanks again.

JustAnotherSM's picture

I had a nice wedding on a beach. There were absolutely no family or friends with us, even though everyone knew we were getting married. We had a wonderful wedding/honeymoon with just the 2 of us and then had a big reception a few months later. It prevented BM, SS or any family members from ruining our special day with their drama yet still allowed us to celebrate with all of our family and friends.

Would you feel differently if it weren't called "eloping"? Maybe just call it a "small destination wedding" instead?

Rags's picture

I would invite your family. Not to invite them just gives them fodder to continue the unhealthy situation that is currently in play.

I would also got to lunch with your parents and explain to them your thoughts on how they currently treat you and your FW and that you want to have a quality relationship with them.

Just my thoughts of course.

Best regards,

pat's picture

I have tryed to put them together and explain to them that this is forever with my FW. Everytime I call them, we just argue and we wind up hanging up on each other. Lots of unsolved issues with them.

pat's picture

Happy, I appricate your thoughts. It is hard on me with my FW because she does not like how things went down hill with my parents. They did not cause all this drama and garbage with my ex and our marriage ,so my FW does not feel that we should have to go through that now. She has left it up to me if I want to invite my parents that we have not seen since last year. They know we are angry about the way they treated us, but they do nothing about it. They dont take any responsibility for their actions or care what hurts us. Seems like all they care is themselves.

pat's picture

thanks, great idea. What if they say ,do what you want. Like they don't care? This is a tough one.

Rags's picture

Pat,

Send them an invite. If they RSVP then save them a place at the wedding and the reception. If they don't ..... then have fun and don't sweat it.

If they don't come then you have pretty much won any arguement that arrises for the rest of their lives. Dirol

"Ummmm, you did not even bother coming to my wedding. Your opinion is neither solicited nor welcome."

Best regards,