You are here

Skids as extension of SO?

Swim_Mom's picture

I'm curious what other think about the concept that you should care about someone because he/she is important to someone that you love? I cannot view my skids as an extension of DH at all - they are totally separate individuals. It isn't that DH is not holding them accountable for their behavior. I think he views that I have a certain obligation to them since they are his kids. When I say obligation I don't mean financial (god no) or any sort of parenting, just really basic courtesy and interest.

An example would be if DH had a particular hobby, say skiing, even though it is not my thing I might try it out with him to be supportive. But when it comes to a person I basically dislike, it is tough to feign interest. I have an easier time viewing a hobby as an extension of who a person is, than viewing offspring that way. Anyone else feel that way? 

susanm's picture

I think it entirely depends on the parent.  To use your example of skiing and a person who would like you to accompany them, do they spend time getting you used to the equipment, play in the snow with you, start on the "bunny slopes", and get some mulled wine afterward while telling you how well you did?  Or do they take you to the tallest mountain, say "go downhill, real fast, and try not to fall" before taking off themselves and leaving you stranded up there with no way to get down except how you can manage in the cold and wind with weird sticks strapped to your feet?

If a parent actually wants you to be a part of their life with the child and puts in the work then it is reasonable to make the effort in return for a happy relationship.  But if they do not and the child is just thrust at you as something that should magically happen through sheer force of will then you are not obligated to do anything in particular.  They dropped the ball and it is on them.  Sadly that happens a lot.  Many parents have this weird belief that, because they think their kid is the best thing that happened to the world, everyone else will feel the same way.  No one else does.

Kes's picture

Courtesy, yes, but I have no real interest in my SDs.  They have forfeited that through their vile behaviour to me for many years.   Since 2013 DH has had much better boundaries regarding this, but the damage cannot be undone. 

tog redux's picture

I think everyone should get basic courtesy and respect, at least until they demonstrate to me that they don't deserve it.  

My SS likes me, but if he didn't, and he was rude to me, I wouldn't go out of my way to try to have a relationship with him, but I would still treat him respectfully. 

You can't make yourself care about something just because DH does. My DH loves gaming, it makes me dizzy. I don't need to force myself through dizziness to make him happy.

Rags's picture

Nope.  DH can care for his prior relationship child all he wants. But... your care for that kid should be dependent on that kid's behavior and performance.

An accident of procreation does not make someone important to an unrelated person just because a spouse brings that accident to a new relationship. That kid earns their place in the new blended marriage dynamic..... or not.

Jcksjj's picture

Entirely separate individuals. Whenever someone tells me their kids are "a part of them" I ask them if they view themselves as a part of their parents instead of an entirely separate person. The answer has always been no.

I feel the same about skid. I have trouble seeing her as DHs at all because shes a clone of BM. People comment so often on how strange it is that shes nothing like DH looks or personality wise that it makes it even harder because the idea that shes mini BM gets driven home even more. Even strangers like stores and stuff dont realize that she is with us, idk if it's because she looks like shes almost a different ethnicity or if its everyone's body language toward eachother or what.

Also, BM used the "she will always be a part of me" as part of her control tactics toward DH, so that phrase feels very manipulative to me. 

momjeans's picture

BM and DH’s parents were like this in the beginning. I think my in-laws still feel this way.

It will never happen, as I am beyond indifferent when it comes to skid. 

advice.only2's picture

When I read your title all I could picture was this weird child shaped appendage sticking wrongly off of your DH. So I guess that's my view when somebody thinks their child is an extension of them, lol.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Narcissists view their children as extensions of themselves... 

Jcksjj's picture

Yep!

juststressedbeyondbelief's picture

Is it really narcissistic to want to raise your children to hold values that are similar to your own though?

I see myself as an extension of my father, and he of his grandfather, and my daughter of me. What I do effects her, what she does effects me.

If so, are all people who hold a family-based value system, and do not allow their children to more or less raise themselves, narcissists?

strugglingSM's picture

In my case, I spend 4 days a month with SSs and BM has created an environment where we are not allowed to ask them what goes on at her house and where she sends nasty messages after nearly every visitation complaining about something. That ensures that SSs are so removed from me that I will never feel love for them. They are houseguests who arrive EOWE. Sometimes they are pleasant houseguests, other times, they are unpleasant houseguests, but they are always houseguests. I can't be myself around them - I have to watch what I say and do - so they would never be an extension of my DH. 

Also, following that logic, everyone should love their in-laws as their own, because wouldn't parents also be an extension of a person? I know children need different concessions while they are children, but children eventually become adults and children also have difficult personalities and can be jerks, even though they are children. I often equate the SKid relationship to an in-law relationship. Especially when you are married to the NCP and see them infrequently. 

Siemprematahari's picture

I treat everyone with respect and decency, it doesn't matter if they are my H's kids or not. If I'm not respected and treated cordially in return, all bets are off. It doesn't concern me if he would feel they are an extension of him or not. I set the tone for what I allow in my circle and treat those accordingly.

Pregnantwithquestions's picture

I think it depends on each individual step-family and their own history. With some, there's too much hurt and missteps to really extend that type of interest and grace to the SKIDs. Surface level respect and tolerance in those cases are probably for the best.

For my situation, we're not in a HCBM situation and my SKID is generally likeable (and young), so I do show interest because it helps foster our relationship and it's something I want to do to continue to grow that relationship. That might not be the best avenue for others, but for us-- for now--- that is what works

Swim_Mom's picture

LOVE the ski analogy - spot on - my complaint with DH is he is too non-confrontational. It isn't that his kids do anything disrespectful or awful (in that case I would not need him to step in because I'd handle it so quickly heads would roll...but he would not tolerate that from them); they just never made any effort with me/my kids whereas in the beginning we all did. It's fine - we see them vacations and holidays - but I would not go out of my way for any of them. I feel people should be called out and I am a very direct person, so it is frustrating he is not, at times.

I agree on basic courtesy - I have never not been polite to his kids with one notable exception with SS a couple years ago - but I truly do not care about them and feel this has nothing to do with loving their father - they are separate people. 

Rags's picture

Failed parents raise children to be extensions of themselves.

Successful parents raise their children to be independent viable adults of character and standing in society.

Not a complex concept in the least.