You are here

Selfish ex

Bigfra45f's picture

Got solicitors letter from ex other day asking what arrangements are for the holidays with me taking my kids. My daughter is 18 and my son nearly 16. I had a new baby 5 months ago and moved 70 miles away to live with baby and her mum. I told kids if they want to visit ill pay bus fares etc and they can sometimes stay over and ill visit them in their town as well. Ex wants me to look after my kids in her house for at least 4 days till she and her husband and child go away. I refused. I did this before but i was single then and kids were younger. I did i because i thought it was good for kids.my new girlfriend needs me now with baby and i cant leave her to look after my kids in exes now. All my family think shes being selfish as well.

Rags's picture

You are doing the right thing IMHO. Your older kids can visit you. No need to leave your baby and SO just because your X snaps her fingers.

luv2luv's picture

You have already told the kids you'll sometimes see them , what's this holiday missed ? It's the first in line of many. You have either never wanted a custody order or don't care about seeing your 16 year old with it. You didn't invite the 18 year old so you probably don't care about seeing her either. Better they know now . You are exactly why the stereotype of "new families" exists

luv2luv's picture

Also just to add I don't think seeing them at her place is reasonable but immediately after starting a new family relegating them to the status of "I'll sometimes see you" is not cool either. Maybe in the future you would consider having them over for the holidays .

Aeron's picture

I think it's a sometimes you come here and sometimes I'll go there, not a "well, I'll see you at some point but don't hold your breath"

You're attacking without knowing the story. It's also entirely possible that the "holidays" he's talking about means their time off from school, like the summer, not as in bailing on Christmas.

Bigfra45f's picture

Have already told ex's solicitor i am willing to let them visit and stay at mine over holidays etc but ex has them brainwashed against my new girl so they said they dont want to visit. Ex is using solicitor to try and scare me into agreeing to look after my kids in hers when she clicks her fingers and wants to go away.she doesnt care that i have a new baby now and live 70 miles away. Its 2 hours on a bus and kids are old enough to visit me. I think if ex wants to go away my 18 year old daughter should be able to look after the house! I have stood my ground and my son has now said he wants to visit me. Hopefully my daughter will agree to as well.

Bigfra45f's picture

Dont know what your on about luv2luv about me not caring about seeing the 16 year old or inviting the 18yr old. I clearly said they can both come to mine and stay. Holidays are best as they go to school or college in their town mon-fri usually.

Snowflake's picture

The ex is being unreasonable, and it is great that you know it. I would tell her no and not to contact you about the matter period. Tell the lawyer no, that you will see the kids in your home for holidays.

I can't believe her husband is okay with you staying at their home. And no court is going to force you to watch them in her home.