You are here

Not speaking to ex

Bigfra45f's picture

I stayed friends with my ex for about 5 years after we split and divorced.i always seen our kids mainly weekends when they stayed in my flat but when i had a new baby with new partner and ex wasnt getting her way she went to solicitor. This caused me a lot of stress.my kids are 18 and 16 now.ex was demanding i look after them in her house for 4 days despite fact i live 70 miles away now with new partner and have new baby.i did look after them in exes house for few days when she went away before but i was single then,lived in same town and kids were younger.i told kids and they can visit me and stay for few days in new girls house. Ill pay bus fares. Or ill visit them in their town and go to my mums or sisters.i ignored ex's Solicitors letters and she backed down due to kids ages.kids are visiting me and im visiting them now.ex told my son ive threw away 14 years of marriage and 5 years of friendship by not talking to her! I told son she was one who went to solicitor rather thsn sit down and work it out with me. Thing is i feel guilty as havnt spoke to ex since last sept when she started solicitors letters. But im angry she did this. I helped her and her new husband out with money when they were stuck and let them stay a few days in my caravan which i now have to sell as cant afford,and this is how she repayed me. She could have sat down with me and worked something out with kids.my daughter is 18 now and most weeks says shes going out with friends. My son is starting to do the same.ex is still telling my kids all this is my fault as i didnt bow to her demands.she even told me to bring my young child to her house for 4 days while i look after my lids and she goes away with her new husband! My new girl wasnt happy when heard this.i think im in the right not speaking to ex. If i did start speaking to her dhe would start making unreasonable demands again. She showed her true colours that she only cares for herself!

Bigfra45f's picture

Yeah i know sally but at time of separation kids were 13 and 11. It was hard on them.i thought i was doing it for the kids when i stayed in hers,i was getting extra time with them And as she was away i thought would do no harm.guess we live and learn sally.

hereiam's picture

You thought you had a friendship with the ex, when all it really was, was her using you for her benefit.

Snowflake's picture

At those ages they have their own lives. You need to stop interacting with the ex and just concentrate on your relationship with your kids. This isn't a situation in which you have to choose between your former family and your new family, which your ex is trying to make it be.