You are here

Section 7 expenses

Kelker89's picture

Is a babysitting course considered a section 7 expense? SD11 has been babysitting SD10 for the past year at moms home. Now mom wants to put her in a babysitting course.

Rags's picture

I have no idea. But here is a brief on Secion 7 Expenses.

https://blackburnlawyers.ca/blog/what-is-s-7-expenses/

What is S. 7 expenses?

JULY 7TH, 2023

1. Child-care expenses in relation to the custodial parent’s job, illness, disability, or educational requirements for employment;

2. Insurance premiums for medical and dental coverage regarding the child;

3. Health-related expenses that exceed $100 per year if excluded by insurance. Examples include orthodontics, counselling, medication, and eye care;

4. Primary and secondary education or any other educational programs that meet the child’s particular needs such as tutoring or private school fees;

5. Post-secondary education expenditures such as tuition, books, living arrangement and electronic supplies; and

6. Extracurricular activities that are more than what could be reasonably paid based on the Table amount received. Extracurricular activities are categorized as extraordinary expenses depending on the nature and number of programs, the overall cost, special needs and talents of the child, and other similar factors which may be deemed relevant. This can include camps, swimming lessons, karate, or any of your child’s preferred extracurricular.

notarelative's picture

SD11 has been babysitting SD10 for the past year at moms home

They are a year apart. SD11 is not babysitting. BM is leaving them alone.

A babysitting class is a good idea. It would go over situations and how to get help. Red Cross babysitting classes start at age 11. So the older SD can take it now, and the younger next year.

Whether it is a section 7 expense most likely depends on the wording of your agreement and where you live. 

Yesterdays's picture

She's asking for reimbursement? I think things like this can be considered one if agreed to in advance. Seems like a gray area however if you both agree it could be treated as one.

Personally I would contribute toward it for my own kids knowing that it teaches them a great deal of important things like first aid and safety in the home. 

Harry's picture

Fits secon 7 and some one.  Meaning only one if you can claim it .  Doesn't come into effect until it's more then 7.5% of gross.  I can never figure out actually how much it lowers your tax's  and of course BM must pay her. To clam childcare credit.  Then SD  has to file taxes herself.  BM should have to do withholding, sending that to IRS every three months,  S. Security money, works comp. Ect.  Unless she 1099 her. 

ESMOD's picture

I'm not sure whether it's that kind of expense per se.. but in my mind.. it is a cost that would be reasonable as a type of extra curricular activity that both parents would split.  I can't imagine it's all that costly.