You are here

$$$ out the window

k8tie's picture

As alot of you already know, my SD is 8 and still wets (floods) the bed every single night and alot of the time during the day if we are out somewhere or in the car longer then an hour. I am SOO tired of spending money on diapers and I was wondering if anyone here uses cloth diapers and if it was even an option. She is average height, just SUPER skinny and is just bearly 40 lbs if that. The pull ups were a joke as they leaked ALL the friggan time and were a heck of alot more then diapers. I also thought that if she could feel being wet, it would help to motivate her more to get up to go or at least tell me she has to go when we are in the car or out somewhere. I am also looking for the cheapest option, if thats even possible. I really dont want to have to keep buying diapers for an 8 year old!!! Thanks everyone!

Katie

Smomof3's picture

Two questions...Does she have a medical problem and does she do it at school?

If it's medical i'd say feeling the wetness won't help.

If she's not doing it at school, that means she has some control and I'd set a timer and make her go to the bathroom every 20 minutes like a puppy and cut her off from drinking anything after 7:00pm.

My stepson wet the bed until we started monitoring what he drank, however he didn't have daytime issues. My nephew has a condition that causes his bladder not to empty completely so when his body relaxes in sleep he wets the bed....they fixed it somehow at Riley Hospital in Indianapolis.

my.kids.mom's picture

OMG my exbf's 7 yr old started wetting herself again. I can't imagine... Cloth diapers would work for her. They make trainers, which is what you really need. If they are not absorbent enough, you can fold a microfiber towel and add it for extra absorbency. I cloth diapered my kids and there are tons of products on the market these days.

k8tie's picture

Thanks for the update. I just saw your post and I didnt go there! I almost threw up in my mouth when you mentioned what kind of site it was. I am not sure if the training pants will hold as with her being 8, I am guessing they would leak ALOT but, I am willing to give them a try if they dont cost alot. I really dont want to spend alot of money like I already do with the reg diapers so I need to find something thats cheap, if thats even possible. Thanks again for the update.

Katie

doll faced sm's picture

*sigh* you have no idea how much money I'd give for the answer to this. For me, it's not even about how much I spend every payday for "Good nights;" it's about the fact that I worry about how my daughter will be perceived by her peers. I agree with the poster who said avoid diapers in general; I made that mistake, and it went from accidents at night to now wearing one when she doesn't want to bother going to the bathroom.

I've also brought up to her doctor my worries about a medical reason. Everything from possible constipation (thank you houstexstep, if you still read) to UTI/BI to possible sexual abuse. Nope. She just doesn't care. Sad

k8tie's picture

The ones made by Gerber are WAY too thin, I have tried them before in the past and they dont come close to working. Even with a cover, she pees right out of it. As far as anything being wrong medically, we have had her to her dr and urologistvon numerous occasions and was assured that there is nothing wrong other then a VERY slightly smaller bladder, which shouldnt be the cause of her issues. When she does have the urge to go, she just wont take advantage of it and get up to go. When I have tried to get her up at night when I go to bed in the past, she will fight me and refuse to get out of bed to go and I am not about to drag her to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I know that there are other kids her age that still have this problem but, they WANT to stop and put forth the effort to try to help themselves stop. Not her!! She could care less and doesnt even want to try! She is slowly getting the daytime issue under control (only does it occasionally when in the care or when we are out somewhere) because she wont tell me she has to go until its too late but night time....forget it! Its like she is 2 years old!! I have to beg and plead with her to try! I tell her that I know she has a problem but...she is 8 and SHE has to at least put forth the effort to TRY to stop.

Katie