You are here

O/T (somewhat) Tattoo for a 16y/o

distorted reality's picture

This is O/T but, only by degrees since it seems to be pervasive when raising children these days. Weigh in with your thoughts please....

My stb 16 y/o neice asked for a tattoo for her sweet 16 gift next month. To my shock, her mother (my half-sister) is actually considering it. WTH???? No, this isn't about the evil's of tattoos. It's about parental responsibility and how saying NO, seems to be a curse word these days. I'm assuming it is since parents find it so difficult to utter such a tiny little word. Thoughts???

Chavez's picture

Is there any particular reason she wants a tattoo or is it just because they're cool? I ask because I allowed my DS to get a tattoo at 16 however it was because his best friend died and it was in memory of him.

That said, I have several myself and if they are tasteful and in places that can be easily covered I don't see a problem with it.

IsabellaAguilera's picture

what does dad say about the tattoo?

personally, i love tattoos. don't have one myself yet, but i haven't decided which one. guess i'm waiting to see which body part sags first.

what about a henna tattoo? as a tester? she gets a new one (a different one) every few months? can't do that with a real tattoo.

the funny part about rasing a teenager, is the art of saying "no" without actually saying the words. you have to get them to think it's their idea their mind was changed.

jumanji's picture

My 16yo wanted a belly piercing for her 16th. I made her do some research on them - the importance of going to a reputable place, following proper hygienic guidelines, etc, etc. She found a few places that seemed good, and we visited them together, talking to the people who would actually do the piercing. She chose the one who was very professional, explained everything, showed us the place and what hygienic controls he has in place, showed us his license and what he required from us in terms of ID, etc.

A tattoo, she doesn't want. My son has mentioned the possibility, but he's 18 and knows that it is his choice - and his money.

Jsmom's picture

They should wait until at least 18 to permanently scar their body. Shame on this mom for not saying NO.

hismineandours's picture

i have a client who had the same issue. Her dd wanted a tattoo-the next day for her bday and while mom's initial reaction was "no!"-this girl guilted her so badly that mom was considering it be the time she left my office-I bet you that next time she comes back she is sporting a tat. My 13dd wants a belly ring-I said no. End of story.

distorted reality's picture

She only wants a tattoo b/c... 1)It's cool and 2) All her other friends are getting them. Her dad is an absentee parent. Pays a tiny amount of court ordered CS and has very little to do with her. Though, I'm sure if he heard this, he would use it as an excuse to harass my sister to the ends of the earth. My niece has only ever been a pawn for him to use so he's basically out of the picture. I digress...
I'm not against tats. I have a couple myself (also tasteful and in places that are well hidden.) Having said that, I do have an issue with tats on 16 y/o's. I know I may be old school but, this IS a permanent mark on your body. And I don't believe a 16 y/o (no matter how mature they appear) is ready to make such an important lifetime decision. It is up to the parent to be responsible and to be, hmmm... the parent??? I just think we live in this ultra permissive society where the kid is allowed to have whatever he/she wants simply because parents don't want to be the 'bad guy' and use that tiny little 2 letter word... NO. It's almost as if there is a complete role reversal and the kids and the parents have switched places. As a race (the human race) I think evolution has stopped and de-evolution has begun, lol. Piercings are a bit different. (Unless they permanently disfigure or scar.)Though to be honest, I sometimes see kids with some horrific piercings too and wonder what their parents think.

I like the idea of a Henna type tattoo. She could then play around with where it goes or with different designs. Henna does have some drawbacks as it can be a huge allergen even in people with no previous allergy to it. Thanks for all the reponses. Keep 'em coming.

Orange County Ca's picture

There is a new industry running strong in tattoo "removal". I've read its about 50/50 now with as many being "removed" as being tatted. Is that a word?

Anyway I think its rediculeous that a child be allowed to get something that will be with them one way or another their whole life. The removal process is lengthy, expensive and not complete often leaving scars or other signs.

lastchance's picture

My mom let me get a tattoo when I was 16. My lifelong passion (and to this day) is competitive swimming. My tattoo has to do with that. It's in the middle of my lower back, not large, or distastful. I agree with another poster in wondering WHY she wants the tattoo. If it's for something significant and is tasteful I don't see the pitfalls, if it is "just because" I would make her wait.

mom2five's picture

Wouldn't happen in this house. There wouldn't be a reason good enough for me to allow a 16 year old to get a tattoo.