You are here

OT - Is this normal

Countrymom's picture

I don't have a lot of experience with mother/son relationships, so I need an outside opinion. I also do not have a good relationship with my overbearing, too involved, two faced MIL, so that may be distorting my view also.

Is it normal for a mother to randomly send her adult son loving/mushy texts? Like every couple of weeks something along the lines of, "I love you pass the moon", or "I love you more than you will ever realize", or "You are my world and I love you so much" etc.

These texts are random and out of the blue, she has even sent them at like 6:00 in the morning. DH usually does not respond to them, but occasionally he'll text back "I love you too".

I find this odd. I don't have a "daddy's girl" relationship with my father so I can't compare our relationship to this. I was very close to my mother, but we never done that. When we'd talk on the phone, before we'd hang up we'd say a quick "love you" and that's about it.

So, is this normal and I'm just being weird by finding it weird??

Monchichi's picture

I'd like to say no alas I cannot. Some of the messages my MIL sends my DH make me want to :sick:

Acratopotes's picture

totally weird.... and a big HELL NO !!!!

I have an 20 year old son, only time we text each other is when he needs something or when I want to know what time he will be at home... or if I give him instructions on the week-end when I'm not at home...

There's no I love you moochie stuff.....

Oh we will send jokes to each other.... cause we have the same humor and not all people get it....

but definitely not I love you... just to weird... if he does not know by now that I love him (not always liking him) then he will never know and the same counts for me...

Acratopotes's picture

hehehe if I have to say to Deigma I love you I will hear - what do I have to do know...

if he tells me that the response is what the hell did you do now

uofarkchick's picture

Has anyone read "Love You Forever?" I'd probably call the mental hospital if my mom climbed a ladder, broke in to my home, and tried to rock me.
Maybe you should get your husband a copy of this book as a gag gift. Pun intended.

CANYOUHELP's picture

It sounds really weird to me, I think these texts are more about YOU than him....LOL....

If you can not care, completely ignore, maybe the BS will stop... She is just trying to get a rise out of you, my bet.

Countrymom's picture

This would not surprise me in the least. She is definitely the type to try and "stake her claim", you know, he's HER son and she had him first and loves him more!

Countrymom's picture

Ok, thank you all! So I know it's not just me now, and when I say to DH that it's weird I don't need to feel bad, lol.

Rags's picture

Nope, not normal. Maybe daily "How ya doin?" texts but not gushy crap like you describe.

For "normal" people that would marginalize that mother in the son's eyes. IMHO of course.

ESMOD's picture

My DH's Ex will post things like that on her girl's facebook page. Gotta maintain that MOTY rep right?

Or at least try to. The funniest thing that ever happened was on of her older daughter's friends tore her a new one and told her point blank that the MOTY persona is all an act and EVERYONE knows it and that she was a crappy mother to her two girls.

It's nice to know that other's recognize the act..lol.