You are here

More about bm dumping her bills on dh

Happyplace's picture

Dh worked 2 jobs after the divorce to pay off every cent he owed anyone. While they were married bm knew she was going to leave him so she upgraded to a bigger house, newer truck, a 5th wheel and as much as dhe could spend on credit cards. When she left dh she took everything but the credit card debt. He was able to force her to take half of the credit card debt in the divorce. He worked his butt off for 2 years to pay it off his portion. After it was paid off he treated himself to a brand new car and let his 12 yr old car be donated to a needy person at church. Yes! His car was 12 yrs old and had 245,000 miles on it! A bit after he got his new car bm told him she was filing for bankruptcy and letting it all go. Dh was devestated. He couldn't afford 2 house notes, 2 car notes, credit card debt and a 5th wheel. He told me we had to move into their marital home. I refused and was pissed!!! We fought but in the end I had no choice if I wanted to live with dh. He worked his butt off working 2 jobs and kept saying he wished he could afford a vacation which is why i invited him on mine with my kids. He was excited to go and he understood he couldn't afford to bring his kids. I understand why dh filied for bankruptcy but I don't understand why he filied on our joint debt and he is refusing to pay me for our joint debt. We have to move into an apartment and he is insisting on an equal 50-50 split of everything even though he has more kids then me because mine are here more. I suggested splitting it by rooms, we have a 4 bedroom (will have) 1 for us, 1 for mine and 2 for his. He is saying then he won't pay for groceries and will just take his to eat. Why am I suddenly a money hungry enemy? He turned my car in and right now I am driving my moms extra car and i want to be reembersed for what i paid in and dh is refusing. When did this become okay to steal from your wife? Where us the good hard working man I married?

Disneyfan's picture

If your kids are in the home more than his kids, then you're lucky he has agreed to split the living expenses 50/50.

If you were offered a free family vacation with your husband and his kids, but not your bios, would you go?

KC is not the stepmother's picture

A bankruptcy judge won't let you pick and choose which debt you're filing on.  You have to file on everything.  You also can't pay some but not others (but he could give you money since I'm assuming that you're now having to pay what he defaulted on).  I'm a banker, but not a lawyer so take that info with a grain of salt. 

Notup4it's picture

That is seriously awful. But looks like he just got himself into too much hot water with his past life.... I’m sure he is making you pay because he can’t afford a dime more.