You are here

Marrying into chaos

call me ms's picture

First time posting.. I admit I don't quite have the acronyms down yet so I hope you'll just go with me on this one.

I'm not a stepparent and will probably never identify as one, but I do plan to marry a man with two young kids. I've never wanted kids myself or dated anyone who has them. Therefore this experience is very difficult and I struggle with it almost every single day.

I think for me it is about the element of choice... choosing one life for yourself and then radically altering that plan to incorporate your husband's two kids. I feel like it's unfair even though I have never been one to play the victim. It feels like we didn't really get to make that choice together.

Every time we talk about it, it's on me to change my perspective or attitude or feelings because he is obviously stuck. He's a package deal. There's nothing for him to do about that so I'm the one who must change, adapt, struggle and try to accept. I choose that process again and again day after day, but the cycle is painful and mind-numbing.

Maybe I'm in the wrong relationship. Mostly, I think kids are an absurdly heavy thing to commit to and when they're not yours, that absurdity is magnified by 1000-fold. I'm not sure how anyone does it gracefully, but I admire you if you've found a way.

SecondGeneration's picture

There is absolutely nothing wrong in feeling that way, BUT what I will say is if you feel that way now do not marry him.

Some people in the world grow up wanting to be parents some day, there are other people who somewhere along the line decide actually they dont want children, they would rather travel, or do whatever. These are all personal choices that only you can make and only have to answer to yourself.

Personally? I could not be in this dynamic if I didnt want children myself. And by the standards on this board I have a really easy set up, my SD5 is a sweet kid, we get on well, BM sticks to the CO and there is very very little drama. In our 3 year relationship there have been 2 or 3 arguments/phone-calls between BM and my fiance.

If you have been in this relationship for a while and still feeling this way then yes maybe you do need to really look at whether this is the right relationship for you, for him and for the children, because yes those children arent going anywhere. Now that doesnt mean you have to kiss their backsides and regard them as the children you never had BUT it does mean areas of your life will be altered and if you dont feel you have your partners understanding then resentment will poison you both.

Stormyweather's picture

You mention chaos in your heading.. Is it chaos because if it is and they are young.. It will only get worse when they are teenagers!

Leave now while you can as marriage dosent change anything other than being stuck legally.

Notmomtomple's picture

I felt exactly how you are describing. I did marry the man. Here's how I look at it now:

-It has been me that has had to change my attitude and perception. I feel that the brunt of acceptance and compromise has been on my plate. That being said, nearly 10 years in (5 dating, almost 5 married), my DH is finally shifting his attitude a little as well. I feel like he is finally putting our marriage in the place of priority it needed to be all along (counseling has helped). I've managed to stay fairly disengaged and cobbled my own happiness together, but I've had to compromise cleanliness, money and what could have been a pretty successful career. (Oh and I really love cats but can't have them due to DH and SD14 being allergic, had I known that, deal breaker).

-My skid situation is not that bad. Two girls (14 and 16) that generally are easy to get along with. Do not misunderstand, it is not my preference, but they are fairly good kids with no major issues.

-The BM situation I have is not so bad. I don't like her, but she is finally starting to respect some boundaries. She has never outright treated me disrespectfully but she would frequently make demands of DH that were unreasonable. She regularly trashes him to his daughters, and tries to make him look bad. He has had to be the bigger person for so long.

-If I had a time machine, I would have stuck my ground when I broke up with him a year into our relationship. He asked me to give him another chance to demonstrate that he can make me a priority, he made some major improvements but there's only so much a parent can do. I wouldn't do this again. I love this man, I enjoy our life together, but the amount of compromise has left me asking "is this it?" My career, my finances, my social life, and my lifestyle preferences come last in this family set up. Knowing what I know now, I wish I hadn't done it.

The best way I can help you is to encourage you to ask yourself these two questions:

1. If I know that it will be exactly as it is today for the next 10 years would I stay?
2. If I know that it will be exactly as it is today forever would I stay?

Take a deep breath, think hard, this is your life we're talking about. I wish you all the happiness there is.

call me ms's picture

That is such a thoughtful reply, I know exactly what you mean. I am always trying to figure out if it's "going to get better" or just stay this way forever. I've chosen again and again throughout our first three years together that he is what I want. But I've also never fully accepted that he comes with two kids in tow. I've always tried to skirt that reality in my mind and just focus on us. It sort of works most of the time but there are definitely other times when it doesn't.

I think it's interesting that you've managed to stay somewhat disengaged from the kids, too... that is my plan for moving forward, to stay as removed as possible and try to only be involved to a minimal degree. He understands and lets me opt out whenever I want. SD5 and SD9 are high-energy kids, though so when I am around them it is all-consuming and there is no ignoring the fact that I'm in the thick of a world that I chose but didn't fully want.

I can't really figure out if this is all me being stubborn, immature and too fixated on my own version of an ideal life or a real warning sign that this is not a situation I should be in. I know no one else can answer that question for me.

I am working on trying to find ways to cope with the kids and how I feel about them when I'm around them and when I'm not but am just thinking about the situation... so far with limited success. But I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Also, the fact that not having cats would have been a dealbreaker for you is hilarious. I feel the same way about pets, I love them and want them. I basically feel the opposite about pets as I do about children.

still learning's picture

He and his ready made family are not right for you; you and your independent self are not right for them. Cut and run, you'll both be happier in the end.

DogMomOnly's picture

You and I are so incredibly similar. I decided at a young age that kids were not for me. I refused to date anyone that already had kids and strayed from those that said they eventually wanted kids. I, like you, feel the complete opposite about dogs (or even cats). My dogs are my the only kids I will ever had. I met my now husband when I was in college. After a few years of knowing each other (and after he divorced) we began dating. Our first summer together I almost ended it all right there because his son (7 at the time) was the most emotional kid I've ever met. He goes from one extreme to the other, cried over the smallest of things, has anger issues, and the list goes on. Camping with him and his 2 kids really made me realize this was not the life I wanted. But....

Of course I talked myself into staying because of how sweet and wonderful of a man my husband is. We've been married for over a year now, together for almost 5. We moved in together about 3.5 years ago. That was a game changer. Living with skids is completely different than visiting your SOs house and being around the kids. Keep in mind, you'll be judged non-stop by his family and friends for not being the "step-mom" (I don't identify as a step either) they think you should be. It'll cause issues.

If I could go back to our first summer, I would end it and never look back. No matter how great my husband is to me, he can't take away the pain that his family has caused me. The blame, the lies, the complete meanness....all because I don't fit their version of what a step mom should be, even though NONE of them have any experience with step-parenting. My husband has become great at putting our marriage first and having my back when his family attacks me. But at the end of the day, he still has kids that he will always have an obligation to. Nothing will ever change that.

I'm in my early 30s and I have no idea what to do in my life anymore. I had so many dreams of what I wanted to do, where I wanted to be....but I'm stuck with a house with a mortgage, a job that makes me unhappy, a place I can't stand to live, and people I have no interest in being around. I chose this life and I'm the only one that can get myself out of it. But it's not as simple as just leaving.

Think a lot about this before you take the plunge. If you live together first, do not buy a house. RENT! Make sure you have an out. Put yourself first. Trust me. Good luck.

call me ms's picture

I was the same way, kids were always a "dealbreaker" to me, too for all the obvious reasons. The only way this relationship developed is because he was living away from his kids at the time and they wren't so present in our day-to-day, and I didn't necessarily expect it to be a long-term deal until we fell madly in love.

Luckily his family seems accepting and his mom lives nearby and is willing to pitch in and pick up a lot of what I don't do as a partner, and which someone would probably expect a SM to do once she commits. This all brings up a lot of guilt for me, though, in that I'm trying to be with this man but only pick and choose the parts I want, and am not helping to the extent that I feel like I "should' be with all of his obligations, namely kids. I even feel guilty about his mom having to help so much even though I would definitely not want to be the one picking them up and taking them to soccer practices and helping them with all their schoolwork, etc.

I hope your husband's family can be more accepting. That's great that he is willing to put you first and defend you. I think his family has to realize the position you were in when you signed up for this relationship and how much baggage he brought to it, and how you accepted him anyway. Not to mention the epic effort it takes just to maintain your sanity and decency when you are surrounded by kids that are not yours, but must work with. It's definitely an under-appreciated role.

I'm jealous of your dogs, though -- I can't have any because I live in the city and work long hours. Maybe someday.

Notmomtomple's picture

This has been a really good conversation and topic. It's so ethereal and hard to describe. I don't think it's that we're so selfish that we have to come first all of the time, it's more like that feeling of being slowly chipped away. In little insignificant ways your self-worth just gets worn away like a river rock.

Who wants to complain about how yet again your suggestion for the scheduling was disregarded, how your standard of cleanliness is poopooed, how little (unintentionally rude) remarks get repeatedly ignored by the people who supposedly love you, how you feel like a guest in your own home? Who wants to tell their partner that they really don't want their 5'7" 135lb 14yo climbing in their bed between you at night to say goodnight (even though her intentions are sweet and affectionate)? NO ONE! But it just wears away at you.

I respectfully disagree with one remark by Babybugged, the only way to hold on to the scraps of your self worth is to disengage. This does not mean being disrespectful, it does not mean not enjoying the good times you have together (we have a nice time together sometimes), it does not mean that you don't like them at all, ever. It only means that you are not going to attach your happiness to how they behave, how they treat you, and to their development as people.

The skids and their relationship with their father is all consuming to them. Carve out your own happiness and treat it as sacred. I promise you he never will, not because he doesn't want to, because he just can't. I truly believed when I said "yes" to his proposal that I was finally going to have a place in his life. Had I known that I was still going to have to fight for significance in my household, that my feelings, needs and dreams were still going to only be defended by me, I don't think I would have done it.

The thing that keeps me going is that I love myself, I love him, and I even care deeply for his children (I want nothing but happiness and fulfillment for them); mostly though that I know that I can take care of myself and that I am perfectly capable of making my own happiness. I am not unhappy, I am only sometimes bitter, I am strong-willed but willing to be honest with myself about when I'm being selfish and self-centered.

The serenity prayer helps me a lot. I wish you luck and love and happiness.

RodgerDodger's picture

One thing I want to add is that a lot of women in marriages even with children of their own or not divorced feel the way people are describing here. That's why I agree more with Notmom above. It is more about carving out your own happiness regardless of the circumstances with your DH or stepkids or kids.

neskajy's picture

There is something I was told today that never occurred to me. I am in your situation too. Exactly like yours. I am marrying into a family and my husband to be has a 17 year old living in the house and with disabilities...I never thought that I would find myself in this situation, yet here I am. And I am not ready. Yet, here I am. I am also expecting our child together...

BUT! Someone told me today that yes - it is on me to change the way I think about things, BUT it is also on him too. Because he is also making a commitment to ME and it is up to him to also make changes and to accommodate me and our life together as well.
You both have to mutually accommodate the way things are. I never thought of it this way, but it is true.
Now we are going to marriage counseling hopefully soon and I hope we can work on some plan for our future life together where not only I accommodate, but he too accommodates.

cindefreakinrella's picture

WOW you read my mind! I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I am new to all this and I am not sure if I can handle it. all the ex wife drama, the disrespectful child, the butt kissing to keep the peace. It's super annoying. I am not old enough to think this is all there is, but I didn't meet a decent guy besides him. He's a good man..just too much bullshit comes with it.

Peony329's picture

Please read what I just posted. The subject is "Feeling so much regret." I feel like what I wrote is an indirect reply what you posted here.
I would write more directly in response to your post, but I'm writing at my in-laws' house with my SS and husband in the next room. We're about to eat, so I don't have privacy. Hoping to be able to come back to your post.

Peony329's picture

Please read what I just posted. The subject is "Feeling so much regret." I feel like what I wrote is an indirect reply what you posted here.
I would write more directly in response to your post, but I'm writing at my in-laws' house with my SS and husband in the next room. We're about to eat, so I don't have privacy. Hoping to be able to come back to your post.

integrity36's picture

What a nightmare. I am in a LDR with my fiancé. We know we want to arrive together, but we recognized blending our family would likely destroy our loving relationship. We are 'waiting' but not waiting. I am owning my choice as a divorced mom of 3 and raising my kids myself. I appreciate the loving support, companionship, and romance that we have every day minus hell that full time step parenting appears to be. We see each other every month for a week to 10 days.. much like a long haul truckers marriage. IT WORKS. Its like a honeymoon every month. My kids have had plenty of time to warm up to him...its been almost 6 years. Everyone is excited to be together and we enjoy our time together. Its not ideal, but its been the best 6 years of my life! At first we thought it was the best decision for our kids, but we have come to realize, it has been the best way to preserve our love and enjoyment of OUR relationship. I would never recommend blending a family together. I say keep your own places and pace yourself until if feels completely natural to share that space full time. I am talking years. We are almost there now. Our kids are growing up, and its all falling into place. Its not always easy, but it better that being a lonely single parent, and better than hating the climate in my home. No one says you have to live together to be with someone. Enjoy the relationship with some built in space. You will be glad you did!