You are here

Inconsistent giving

SAM_VUIN's picture

Am really frustrated here and looking for feedback and guidance from those who have dealt with this kind of situation.

My ex-wife & I divorced in 2012 and 14 yrs of marriage.  We have 2 daughters (ages 14 & 19) - both pleasant, great students with a promising future.    I come from a "well-off" family - I have a good career and my parents were VERY generous to my then stay-at-home wife & me over the years during my first marriage.  When my ex filed for divorce in 2012, she basically "cashed out her half" and hasn't needed to work to support herself - her last packcheck was earned in 1998.    In hindsight, I realize all the gifting by my parents was half-wasted and I had been dealing with strong resentment over the breach of trust for at least a few years after the divorce.  It was a time in which I did not date - basically tried to be a good provider and be there for my 2 daughters.

In 2015 however, I began dating again and remarried in 2017 to a personable Christian woman from a modest background.   Wife is a teacher and came into our marriage with a paid-off car and a small retirement account and very little else financially.   She did however have 2 children who are now 10 (boy) and 13 (girl).   Wife came from a failed marriage to an alcoholic deadbeat loser who has been in and out of work and pays child support only to stay out of jail.   He rarely seeks to visit the kids.    Wishing to avoid the potential financial disaster of a 2nd divorce, I insisted on a pre-nup prior to our marriage which she agreed to sign.   We have kept our separate accounts but keep a joint checking where I fund about 65% of it.   

As you might guess, new wife would love to delete the memory of her ex and constantly alludes to me being her kids' "dad" whenever she can - and it extends to financial concerns as well.   She is constantly wanting her biological kids to receive everything in proportion to what my biological kids receive - and that includes gifts from my 80YO+ parents (who have funded my daughters' savings accounts well in excess of what they'd actually need for college).    If my daughter receives an iPhone for Christmas FROM HER GRANDPARENTS then my wife thinks so should her bio daughter - and she makes a big stink (to me) when they don't give them similar gifts or if they forget their step-grandchildren's birthday.    I try to reason with her by telling her that she can't assume my parents are going to feel the same way about her kids when they literally just met a couple years ago - the reality is that there were some very formative bonding years that by my parents and me missed when it comes to her biological children.     But she has this ideal that once marriage took place, all children are equal in the family...I'm just waiting on her request to start moving college savings around (never going to happen).

Honestly, if I had it to do over again with this 2nd marriage, I would have tried to find someone with a more similar financial position.    Are others dealing with this sort of thing??    Honest, blunt feedback welcomed here.  

hereiam's picture

It is not your parents' responsibility to provide anything, gifts or otherwise, to your wife's children. She is just going to have to accept that.

Keep standing your ground.

fairyo's picture

Your wife is expecting you to replace her ex- no problem there in a romantic relationship when you vow to love and cherish each other etc etc. In the marriage contact there is nothing said about any children from previous marriages, hence your good move in getting a pre-nup.

You need to give this honest, blunt feedback to your DW. Your children are not hers, her chidren are not yours. Wishing things would change does not make change. She will just have to accept that your parents are your parents and your chidren's grandparents. What about her parents? Do they not give their grandchildren anything? I agree this relatiionship seems one sided and unfair to her children, but she married the dead-beat before you turned up and rescued her. She does need to hear that said until she accepts it or leaves.

susanm's picture

You are right - you should have married someone of your financial strata.  No, it is not your parent's responsibility to provide for her children.  And you should not have to foot the bill to give her children the same standard of living that they would have had if she had procreated with a man with your money rather than a deadbeat.  (Of course, if she had married a decent guy first, chances are she would not be married to you now.)

If you are comfortable having 2 separate social classes in your home, OK.  That is fair.  But you know it is going to breed resentment.  That is simple human nature.  "My sister has a Coach bag and drives a BMW.  I have a purse from Target and drive a used Tercel.....but I feel completely loved and not embarassed at all in front of people who know both of us" said no poor relation ever.  I don't know what the answer is other than asking your parents to be a bit less obvious or you personally equalizing things out.  Or you can always get rid of them and find someone more on your level.  That might be doing your wife the biggest favor because no one likes being looked down on and feeling like some sort of charity case.   

SteppedOut's picture

Unfortunately OP, I agree. 

It is NOT your (or your family) responsibility to financially support her kids. And you did make that known prior to marriage. 

However, if there is a stark difference in how the children are treated... it WILL cause resentment.

You are going to have to have a very frank discussion with your wife and, it may be the end of your relationship. 

Notup4it's picture

I don’t think it is your parents responsibility to pay either, but I also think that you (and then) need to exhibit some compassion and understanding as well. 

This is your WIFE and I don’t know if you are looking at it quite like that. When you married technically you are supposed to be one, and that would include baggage, finances, etc etc.

You need to look at it from this angle too... what if in your old age you lost everything, and what if one of your skids became wealthy.... how would you feel if they said they would ONLY help Mom, but not you?

i actually have more money than DH, both in terms of income (my first husband is very wealthy and I have a high paying career and my own family who is well off), my DH has a high paying career as well but he has to pay lots out as well. But we do our best to keep everything as equal as possible because we are one family unit. 

I could see your current wife having resentment because your first wife received a great deal of your money, plus her kids that she feels are part of her family WITH you are somewhat shunned. 

SAM_VUIN's picture

I agree compassion and understanding are core components to every sucessful marriage.   Where I disagree is that I do not feel we are "one" in a 2nd marriage.   Had I met my wife when we were 20 and had raised children together, that's just different.   Honestly, I was hesitant to re-marry but felt I could do so with a pre-nup and, more importantly, a solid understanding between my wife & I that we came into the marriage with very diffferent backgrounds on different levels.   But now that we're married, she's apparently seeing things differently.

Notup4it's picture

That is too bad that you guys got married.... it probably wasn’t really the right thing to do given the mindset. Was it her idea, and you just sort of went along with it then?

See, me and my DH are opposite... we both think our first marriages were garbage, and feel that this is the real deal now... because with our firsts we were just too young and stupid and clueless about how to select the right person.  We are still young enough to have a child together, but even if we don’t we view one another as THE only actual spouse. I could care less if my ex ate beans, but would die if my husband did... and I know he feels the exact same- even more strongly than I do. 

I do currently have a higher take home pay than he does, I have a lucrative job and the child support I get in is the same as he pays out. So I’m up on him... plus I received more when me and my ex split, so I was more ahead of the game. None of our kids struggle, but we do everything equal (and he has more children than I do). 

We may be one another seconds due to prior mistakes... BUT we will also be LASTS and FINALS!! Which means I spent 6 years with my ex him 9 with his.... but we should have a good solid 50  on them by the time we pass away. I’m 100% certain long after our kids have their own kids we will be sitting on that porch, and I’m 100% certain that he will be the last person I look at when I take my last breath, or vice versa so I look at him as more important than who I was with fresh out of university and made naive choices to procreate with.  I love my DD and his more than anything in the world, but he is first, and who I’m “one” with.... he is my husband. 

ndc's picture

Do your skids have grandparents on their mother's side?  If so, do those grandparents give your bios gifts equivalent to what they give the skids?  Not that we have any control over what our parents give to others, but if they don't, it may be something to point out to your wife so she understands that there's a difference between grandchildren and step-grandchildren you've only known for a couple years.

I do think that, especially if your wife and her kids have the idea that they should be getting equivalent gifts and are keeping track, your parents should give your kids their gifts when the skids are not around.  

Are things also uneven with YOUR resources?  I'm not saying that you need to support her children, but if you are buying your kids new cars and she's telling hers to take the bus, I can see where that could lead to some unpleasantness in the home.

FWIW, I have wealthy parents.  They are very generous to me.  I don't have children yet, so there's no comparison of gifts, nor is there any expectation on the part of my SO that his kids will be given anything by my parents.  However, my parents are inclusive of my SO's kids.  When my family (meaning my parents and siblings/SOs) goes to Disney or a beach vacation or whatever, SO's kids are invited and my parents pay for them.  If SO's kids are with my parents during the Christmas season, there are nice gifts for them.  SO's kids have received their nicest birthday gifts from my parents.  I think it probably makes a difference that SO's kids are young (3 and 5) so my parents are watching them grow up.  A really nice gift for a 3 year old is a lot less expensive than a really nice gift for a teenager.  By the time SO's kids are teenagers, my parents will have known them for the majority of the kids' lives.  So it's really not an equivalent situation (especially since my SO has no expectations and is extremely grateful for anything that is done for his kids), and even if it was, it doesn't matter because we don't control what our parents do.

SAM_VUIN's picture

Yes, my skids have a grandma (wife's mom) that does give them all (my bio kids too) equal gifts - $50 at Christmas I think.    She's a very kind person and that money is probably not a trivial amount to her.    My wife also told her mother that she needed to give them equal amounts which I found a bit presumptious...something that I would not have ask had I been her.

Smomlosingit's picture

Your wife did the right thing though. It almost sounds like because of your first marriage you are holding on to every bit of money you can. You knew going into the marriage her ex wasn't a great parent to begin with so yes that was going to play a role in your marriage with your wife who has kids of her own. Myabe not having your kids get iPhones at Christmas time from your grandparents and then her kids get $50 from them (just an example) wouldn't make your wife's children feel that great. I see what you're saying. If the iPhone was given maybe why not as a "here's just a gift" while wife's children aren't around. It's like rubbing that in their faces. At the end of the day her children are just like yours...children. That as a child can bring hurt feelings which in turn will bring mama bear a great deal of resentment. The yours, mine and ours approach isn't going to end well in a marriage. You have to blend the family and I do think your wife was trying to do that by telling her mother all equal to not have your children have hurt feelings and you get upset. Just something to think about.

SAM_VUIN's picture

Kids, by nature, do not hide gifts they receive - actually, quite the opposite.   That may work with college savings accounts but not with iPhones.

My wife told her mom to give equally to all the kids so that it would apply pressure for me to do the same with my parents.   I'm pretty sure about that.   My kids do not anticipate or expect anything from their step grandparent - they actually prefer never to see my wife's relatives which is a whole different subject.

StepUltimate's picture

I agree your wife was trying to apply pressure... which is manipulation. Reminds me of a guy I briefly dated in my early 20's who was almost 30, constantly broke, and pouring on the romance... when he told me "All that I possess is yours." I could tell it was pure charming b.s. trying to pressure me into letting him move into my then-apartment, and that was the moment I was done with that guy - bad enough he had no financial management skills, but even worse that he was trying to get me to compromise my strongly-held values (not to support another adult, not to live with someone I barely knew.) just for his own benefit.

Zero trust for someone willing to treat others that way. I wonder if your wife would gain insight from the previous responses on this page, because it highlights that most other StepParents see this as inappropriate as you do, and a lot of us are women. ESPECIALLY since you were so up-front with her and did the pre-nup (good job on that BTW!); she should let this go. 

Wish you didn't have to go through this. Sounds like you are a reasonable, thoughtful person. I hope your wife can let it go and learn to be grateful, instead of entitled. 

notasm3's picture

Sometimes there are two separate financial situations in one family.  That's reality.

If your wife's ex ILs were giving her children expensive presents would she expect them to also give similar gifts to your children?  I doubt it.

My brother is uber wealthy.  His two step children have been able to travel all over the world, go to expensive schools, and have access to nice things.   Their bio father is very low income.  The child that he has with his current wife does not have access to any of this.   Does that mean that my brother should support any spawn his wife's ex husband later produces?

Notup4it's picture

Also wondering.... how would you feel about your ex wife possibly having more kids if she selected a man that had lower income? Then child support money would be going to those kids too, and the new guy.... how would your current wife feel about that? So many dynamics to split families. 

SAM_VUIN's picture

I'm not sure it would matter - my ex-wife is probably going to use up every asset in order not to work for a living so it's not like the kids are missing out from any inheritance from her.   

It does piss off my wife & me that the weekly payments don't seem to actually support my 14-yo bio daughter.     One benefit to all this is that my daughter is not growing up a spoiled teen.  (Trying to look on the bright side when I can.)  

Maria10's picture

Is the 19 yr old your biochild also?  You were married 14 ys is why I ask.

IMO: This is not about kids and gifts at all. It is about an overall tone to your relationship.

You were not ready to marry on an emotional level. You were still bitter that your exwife " cashed out her half!". This woman is now living with you and married to you but not enjoying nearly the same behavior or support your exwife had. She is also treated like a second class citizen because of her modest financial status. She might not know how to ask you to treat her as your equal because she is your WIFE. 

She signed the prenup to show you her intentions are not towards your money. You married her knowing she had kids who would be living with you. Yet you are not treating those kids with any kind of affection and treating this woman as if she is out to get your money while parading your great children with set futures in front of her all the while telling her she cannot have that from you or your family. 

When you approach her about the gifts I would keep the above in mind.

Disneyfan's picture

If his wife has her undies in a knot over this, then yes she is out to get money.  Signing a prenup just means she can't cash in if they divorce.

That doesn't mean she isn't looking to cash in during the marriage.

This woman is acting greedy and entitled.  

There are plenty of SMs here that earn much more than their husbands/SOs.  Or have parents that splurge on their bios.  No one here would ever tell those SMs that they and/or their parents should treat the bios and steps equally in regards to gifts/spending.   

Why should the responses be different when the roles are reversed?

Maria10's picture

Situations can differ from person to person. Responses can differ from person to person. 

To suggest that every similar situation has a standard automatic response defeats the purpose of having a forum.

You are entitled to your oppinion as am I.

I suggested that OP look deeper into/ consider his wifes feelings/ positions before approaching the subject of the gifts. 

I know many SMs and SFs who would want their feelings considered before their SO talks to them about any issue.

TwoOfUs's picture

And many SMs on this forum do a lot financially for their skids and don't really mind. I (kind of) fall into that camp. I mind that BM seems to always ask for extras and more when we're doing something nice...and I mind when DH is just generally bad with money and gets us into a hole without even seeming to realize it...and then I have to dig us out. Or when he says yes to skids without consulting me when it's my money. 

But, in general, if we're communicating about finances and other important issues, I don't mind spending money on the skids. I even volunteer to do so from time to time. 

Feeling resentment over two different standards of living in the household is only natural and doesn't mean she's necessarily greedy or entitled. I still don't think that obligates OP's parents to do anything they don't want to do...but commenters aren't out of line to suggest that he have a little more empathy and try not to let his bitterness over his divorce infect his new marriage. 

ndc's picture

Another question. . . .  Does your wife ask for or expect a lot of things for herself?  Or is she just concerned for her children, who would certainly feel badly and like second class citizens if they see their step-siblings getting nice things?  Do you have the impression, in anything other than this, that your wife married you for your money or the lifestyle you could provide, rather than because she loved you and wanted to be with you?  I understand why finances would be a loaded issue for you, after your first wife cleaned up in your divorce, but I think you need to evaluate your relationship with your current wife and what you see in her and she in you.  I think some reflection there might help with this issue.  

SAM_VUIN's picture

You voice a number of assumptions.   Why do you feel my wife is treated like a 2nd class citizen?   Why do you feel you have the justification to say I'm not treating my SKs "with any kind of affection" - that's just not true.   You shouldn't make such large assumptions if you plan on posting meaningful messages.

SAM_VUIN's picture

Yes, the 19YO is in college.   She was born almost a year from when we married.   We divorced in 2012.  I think you might need re-run the math.  Smile

I am committed to my marriage - but I learned in a ver difficult manner that no marriage is guaranteed to last.   My ex-wife BREACHED the marital "agreement" - so let's be real.    There are 2 marriages:   1 marriage is through the church and I am 100% in that marriage.   It would take the most exceptional circumstances for me to hire an attorney to file for divorce - EVER.   The 2nd marriage is based on state law and IMHO there should be a complete re-write of marital laws so that it's assumed assets titled separately keep their status as separate.    My wife is not treated as a 2nd class citizen.   Again, we didn't get married in our 20's and have kids together - that's a totally different situation.

beastofburden's picture

i personally would NEVER sign a pre-nup. My word is enough. I dont agree with Pre-nups because its a peice of paper stating that money is more important than someones word. Just like these first marriages vowed to love, honour and cherish each other!! but none of us would be in this step hell predicament if these first marriages had kept their word and their signed declation of marriage.

I think you didnt give enough thought to the issue of 'class'. It would be very hurtful to her kids if your parents were obvious about giving way much more to the other kids. I know this exact same scenario has split up friends of mine in the past,, so Id deal with it very carefully if I were you, or if you want a happy  2ndmarriage.

SAM_VUIN's picture

I agree that none of us would be in this step hell predicament if these first marriages had kept their word and their signed declation of marriage.   But the reality is that you can't guarantee your spouse will not file for divorce.   That's just a cold, hard reality.   Hell, I thought I would be married to my ex for the rest of our lives!   Every single one of my decisions was based on that assumption.  

I agree that it's a very sensitive subject.   I've appreciated everyone's comments so far.   (Or at least most of them.)

StepUltimate's picture

Unfortunately, prenuptuals are wise, only because human nature is not as kind, loving & benevolent as the True Love is not a guarantee of Getting Along Forever. Things change, as you (& so many others) have experienced.

I dearly love my husband but am pretty sure I need a real estate "prenup" that explicitly states "Adult Skid cannot live here, temporarily stay here, or store stuff here" before I commit to a home purchase with my DH. I only feel the need to protect myself because SS18 is a lazy manipulqtor and after he's out, I am DONE living with SS. Definitely not supporting him, he's 18 & doesn't respect this duplex... why would I let thus slug move into a bigger, nicer house when he refuses to contribute to this one?

SAM_VUIN's picture

So is it a safe assumption that you never have nor never will file for divorce under any circumstances?

beastofburden's picture

I have never filed for divorce. It is a fact though that 70-80% of SECOND marriages fail due to all the ADDED PRESSURES that the BAGGAGE from the first marriage brings. I dont have children, nor have I been married or divorced. 

Im here because Im using this information to decide if I want to be involved or get married to someone who has kids from a previous marriage. I would want to avoid a divorce at all costs, but its a fact that second marriages are much much more difficult than first marriages (even if its MY first marriage)

SAM_VUIN's picture

Of course not.   There are a handful of legitimate reasons for filing for divorce.     The chances of me filing would be slim tho.   There’d have to be something more to it that squabbles over finances, a messy home, etc.    

disrestep's picture

Here's some blunt feedback you asked for:  After reading your post, it appears to be all about "my money", and money being the most important thing to you. The detail about your wife's financial background is odd. Why is it so important about what her financial history is/was? People are people, rich or poor.

That said, your wife should not expect your parents to do anything for her kids unless they want to. You, on the other hand, sound like you do not want to spend a dime on your step-children. Do you not like them? Are they not nice to you?  Did your prenup indicate your wife was the only person to provide for them? Is your wife and her children not considered part of your family now?

If you make substantially more than your wife, why is your joint checking account funded with her almost 50/50? Doesn't seem fair. Just an observation.

Greed is a nasty thing. Just saying. 

Rags's picture

Why is it that  successful people are so frequently tagged with the "greed" label?  My wife and I are orders of magnitude more successful than her entire family combined (MIL/FIL, 3 sibs, aunts, uncles, etc, etc, etc....).  They couldn't make a good financial decision if it were written on a 2x4 and beaten into their skulls.  They work hard but they do not make the connection between education, qualifications and income.  To them we are greedy.  To us they are unfortunately incapable of making a decent life decision.  

They repeatedly pitch the "its not fair" card while completely ignoring the undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees and professional certifications that both my DW and I hold while her entire family are high school graduate (barely) farm laborers, low level administrators or service workers.  They are great people. I love them all to death but... they are what they are and nothing we can do will change that.   Over the years we have upon occasion bailed them out... only to have that help go down the crapper with their own earnings.... so ... we no longer help.  We let them feel the consequences of their decisions.  Multiple bankruptcies, multiple home foreclosures, multiple car repossessions, not providing insurance for their families, etc, etc, etc.......  They could insure themselves and their kids either through employers or the ACA but they refuse because they want a new car, or tattoos or ......... 

We have lived far below our means, invested, purchased homes that are modest rather than ostentatious, drive domestic brands rather than high end imports (though very nice and usually pre-owned though not always).  This allows us to do things other than scratch pay check to paycheck and sit in a McMansion eating top ramen.  While my ILs are instant gratification focused while their teeth and their children's teeth rot out of their heads.  smh

More successful people are no more greedy than less successful people are lazy.  While certainly there are some on the more successful side of the line that are greedy just as there are some on the less successful side of the line who are lazy it comes down to a situation where work ethic, preparation and qualification meets opportunity.  Even in situations of multigenerational family affluence someone had to do the work to initiate that affluence and many have had to continuously step up their game to extend and build on that affluence.  Greed has little to do with it. 

One litmus test for greed Vs hard work is measured by ethical behavior as it relates to crime.  If the affluent are not criminals then greed is more likely than not .... not an issue.

I find that a case for greed is far stronger when analyzing the behaviors and perspectives of less successful people who covet what successful people have earned and are unwilling to make the sacrifices to attain affluence by their own efforts while expecting the more successful to provide for them.

It is all about perspective, behaviors, qualifications, quality of decisions and quality of effort.

Take teachers as an example. I absolutely respect and appreciate the job that they do. They work far harder doing far more taxing work than I have ever done.  I would not do that job myself even if I had the opportunity.  However, if a person wants a level of significant affluence, say a multiple six figure income,  teaching is not a profession that is likely to lead to that outcome without either a complimentary marriage or an innovative supplemental career to augment the usual income of a teacher.

Someone who chooses to go into a more lucrative field is no more greedy than a teacher.  They just made different decisions.

As for equity between the kids of one blended family partner and the kids of the other blended family partner.... household income should be applied equitably... GP income is not household income and is irrelevant IMHO.  What GPs choose to do with their assets is entirely up the the GPs.

I think in the case of this OP... it is important to understand that he was butchered financially in his divorce.  Past experience influences current and future decisions and behaviors.  He is no different in this than anyone else who has gone through the demise of a marriage.  If I had been far more personally affluent at the time my DW and I married I very likely would have insisted on a prenup just as the OP did.  Particularly after a brutal and very expensive divorce.  Fortunately my divorce was not that expensive as my Company was locked  up where my XW couldn't touch it and due to her second career as a cavern crotched whore guilt motivated her to take far less than half of what she would have otherwise could have taken.  She did not want the truth rolled out in court or for the public record.  Having put her through college I certainly could have made a claim to my XW's life time income and I have always regretted that I didn't... but that is not about greed... that is about revenge which is an entirely different topic.  

All IMHO of course.

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

I believe the word is tough love... And it definitely does more for people than bailing them out every five seconds or trying to make everything "equal."

Hard work should be rewarded. Degrees to better yourself should follow with a reward. Bare minimum, lazy work or irresponsilbity should be followed with consequences.

disrestep's picture

Greed....meaning where money is involved there just seems to be someone who wants a piece of the pie. I just label that as greed. For example, when someone passes away, the relatives who circle in like vultures when the will is read or the relative who comes out of the woodwork when another wins the lottery.

Seems this guy would not have some of these issues if money wasn't involved. At what point does protecting your assets and not wanting to share with your spouse cross the line as being greedy? We may not know the whole story here. Who knows?

SAM_VUIN's picture

I'm not all about money - money is the topic of this discussion but that's just one piece of our blended family relationship.  My wife does not make enough to support herself and bio-kids - at least not at the current spending rate.  I do love her children and I do support them in multiple ways.   Our marriage has afforded us all many positive things - both financial and otherwise.

I'm really trying not to resent some of the comments being posted.   Hey, here's an idea - can we talk about the bio dad to my wife's children for awhile??

disrestep's picture

Hey, you asked for honest and blunt feedback, right?

In your initial post, it mentioned something like....to be honest, if I had to do it over again, I would of married someone in a similar financial position. That statement seems to me that it is all about the money. I cannot imagine dating a man with that mindset. 

Like I said, people are people regardless of their income or status. Your wife is a person, and perhaps you should sit down and talk to her about spending habits you may not agree with if you have not already.

good luck with everything.

twoviewpoints's picture

Doesn't really sound as if you're the one with all the money. More like you've been riding your parent's coattails for years.

*shrugs*

No, your parents owe your skids nothing. No expensive gifts nor any college funds. However, I will assume your parents have enough class not to flaunt their cash nor gifts in the skids face while tossing it at your bios feet. 

While you seem to be belittling your wife's income and financial abilities , I can't help but wonder why you can't purchase 50/50 with your wife a nice phone for the skids for Christmas or a birthday.... you don't have to finance one for your own kids as your Mommy and Daddy do all that.  It's ok to buy a joint gift with your wife to give a skid for their birthday. Let the skids earn some extra cash doing chores and they can pay part of the price if it can't be a gift. 

You don't have to be their father or be responsible financially for them to once or two a year give a similar gift to what your own kids have received. If it's making resentment and problems in your household with your wife, what's the big deal of going half in n a nice gift? 

Nope, of course you don't have to, but you kind of sound like the guy who would buy steaks and lobster for your and your bios dinner while you buy hot dogs for your skids and sit and eat in front of them. Your wife is going to have to decide if this is how she wants her kids to feel treated in now what is their home. 

SAM_VUIN's picture

I'm raising my kids in the same manner as I was raised - both my SKs and bio kids will be equally unspoiled by me and my wife.

ndc's picture

One other thing I'm thinking about, since the OP made a point of saying "I'm just waiting on her request to start moving college savings around (never going to happen)."  You do realize that if you're not willing to provide anything for your stepkids for college that they're essentially going to be screwed, right?  The way the financial aid system works, YOUR income and assets are going to be considered in determining what financial aid they're eligible for.  And if you're as well off as I'm assuming from your post, they're not going to be eligible for anything.  Had their mother remained single, on her modest teacher's salary, they would have qualified for some financial aid.  You, of course, are not obligated to pay anything toward their college educations.  But the system that determines who qualifies for financial aid and who doesn't is making an assumption that you will.  It's not a great assumption, and I'm sure a lot of kids get screwed this way, but it's reality.  Maybe, since you are in so much better of a financial position, you should rethink the funding of the joint account so your wife has some extra money that she can use for extras (or education savings) for her kids, since you don't want to provide them.

SAM_VUIN's picture

Great thing to point out.    Yes, that is an issue.   I’ve been depositing all of my wife’s child support payments into the step kids’ 529 accounts.   College is still away off for the oldest (8th grader) - am guessing I will be much more willing to help out by the time she’s off to college.

2Tired4Drama's picture

SAM, wish you had responded with more information to some of the queries others have asked you.  It would enable us to have a better perspective.

My only advice is this:  Money (even family fortunes) can disappear.  Fast.  And children who have grown up knowing there was money waiting for them are indeed entitled even if they don't visibly act like it.   Remember the old "shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations" adage.   It rings true for a reason - the third generation grows up knowing there is money waiting for them, and it is ingrained as part of their collected psyche.   That's why as adults they often make bad choices or squander the money to the point where it's gone.  

My ex husband came from wealth so I have experience first-hand of how it is often a negative thing.  Because of the money, they were often suspicious of other people,  including their spouses.  Because of the money, they coasted through life with jobs or careers that didn't require any real hard work or comittment.  Because of the money, the siblings all sat around and "jokingly" talked about what they were going to do with their share once their parents died.   Because of the money, they turned into the kind of people they now are.   

When I divorced my ex, I didn't ask for a thing from him other than a fair and equal split of what we gained together as a couple.  (There was no pre-nup.)  I even waived my rights to a portion of his retirement.  I think he was a bit stunned, and I know his family was shocked, that I didn't do so.  They figured I was in it for the money.  They were wrong. 

Here's why.  I was raised by a different kind of people.  Those who had no money, who had worked hard all their lives and didn't even know what a silver spoon looked like.   I was taught self-sufficiency, integrity and the importance of caring for others and being there when you were needed.  I KNEW that I needed to be self-sufficient, and have always worked and saved.  Thus, when I divorced I didn't NEED anything from my ex.    

When my parents were at the terminal stage of life, my siblings and I took care of them with our own hands and hearts until the very end.  Although they were imperfect, just like us, they died knowing their children's love was genuine.  Not once did any of us sit around and talk about their money and what we'd do with it.  Not once.  

My point in this is that while you (and your parents) see your wealth as an asset to be protected, maybe it's really a liability.  As you now see, it's already created a wedge between you and your DW.   

SAM_VUIN's picture

Thanks for this and I totally see how wealth is often a curse to people.  Honestly, I try not to think much about money a whole lot - the whole intent of the pre-nup was to "put to bed" any concern of who pays what and who gets what, etc.   Yet money continues to be the root of all evil it seems.   

Disneyfan's picture

OP,  take some time and do search on here.  You will find plenty of blogs about stepmothers and their families having more money than their hisbands/SOs and bio moms.  

Read those blogs and you will see how the vast majority of posters suggest the SMs handle their money in regards to their SKs.  You would be hard pressed to find blogs that make a SM feel like she should help pay for college for her SKs. 

Or, revamp how household expenses are covered so that dad has more of his income to go toward college expenses.

OP, search the blogs for a user named Gunner.  He discovered that he was married to a woman who was greedy and entitled.  

strugglingSM's picture

1) You indicate that your parents were fine paying for your first wife, including allowing her to live without working post-divorce. If a pre-nup works for you, that’s fine, but you’ve already given your current marriage secondary status to your first. It’s great that you learned from your mistakes, but the way you’ve operationalized that is by making your current wife secondary to your children when it comes to your joint assets. That could be part of your wife’s resentment toward you, she’s not really your full wife, if she’s not entitled to the same thing your ex wife is entitled to. I face similar challenges as a second wife - with my DH and his family feeling that SKids should have extra entitlement to DH’s assets. The difference for me is that DH has no assets, so it’s an empty threat, but I’ve had to remind DH that he can’t promise to give SSs something he doesn’t have and then expect me to make up the difference. Also, MIL still gives money to BM (even though she grew up wealthy) because BM “needs it”, while MIL expects me to now cover her expenses because she now is having financial troubles and I’m married to her son. From a wife’s perspective, it’s frustrating that I will never be seen as the “real” wife because my DH had children before he met me. It’s your parents prerogative to give whatever they like to their grandchildren, but if they still cater to your ex wife, I think your current wife has a right to be resentful.

2) With regard to providing presents to SKids, I’m more sympathetic. My DH grew up far wealthier than I (at least on the surface), but I was taught how to manage money, so now I have money. I’m not wealthy, but I’m comfortable, because I work at it. BM also grew up with money, but she and DH were both terrible with it, so they divorced with a ton of debt. Both BM and MIL saw green when DH married me, assuming I would pay for all kinds of things for SSs. I don’t feel it’s my responsibility to pay for those things for children who aren’t mine. I’m certainly not going to let them live in poverty, but if I could want to go on vacation with my DH, a vacation I’ve paid for, I don’t want to hear from BM, her family, or MIL or SIL about how terrible we are for not taking SS with us or on a similar vacation. DH also wants us to have a child together and I told him that if we did, it would not be all equal with his kids. Our child would only have us providing for him / her, while SKids have BM and her supposedly wealthy parents. My parents give gifts to SKids, but I would expect them to give more to their own grandchild. 

SAM_VUIN's picture

Thanks.   To clarify one point - my parents do not give anything to my ex-wife at this point.   I think they did for the first year or two at Christmas but that's it.   I didn't say much - mostly just shook my head.

SAM_VUIN's picture

I think the bottom line is that I do not feel my wife is automatically and instanty entitled to the financial benefits of the many years of hard work and investing done by me and my parents.   (Nor do I feel entitled to my parents money but she would inherit everything if they leave it to me and I die before she does.)     Sorry if that rubs people the wrong way!

SAM_VUIN's picture

I want to comment about the pre-nup.  Say what you will but I learned from my first marriage that it's the initial assumption that assets are split 50/50 in a divorce - and given the rates of divorce in 2nd marriages, I just was not ever going to place myself in such an unfair situation again.    The fact is that US divorce laws are NOT friendly to spouses coming into marriage with more than the other.   And the laws are even more unfair to men (just a truth that any good divorce attorney will admit) - I'll never forget the time when my lawyer told me it would be an uphill battle to get 50/50 custody from a judge.

And what about estate planning?    In theory, I could die today and without having signed a pre-nup, my biological children could be 100% excluded from receiving any assets from my estate - because it would all go to my new wife of 1 year.  And in 2 or 3 years, there could even be a new husband living in our current home!    In my mind, people who go into 2nd marriages without a pre-nup haven't thought things through well enough.

ndc's picture

I agree. And as long as all assets are fully disclosed and the pre-nup is presented to the spouse from whom it's requested early enough to give him or her plenty of time to review it and have it reviewed, I think it's a useful and often necessary document.

Maria10's picture

Well my questions have been answered!

My suggestion above still stands: I think you should look into your wife's deeper feelings about the gift giving and the general attitude about money you seem to have.( based on the overall tone of your post)before you approach the subject with her!( and you should approach it because it bothers you )

About the gifts: she is walking her talk. She asked her mother just like she asked you to ask your parents. Her mother complied. Does not mean you have to ask your parents. Or that they will comply. (I dont think it was manipulative at all- I can think of a few ways that would have been more manipulative than that-)

About the first wife: as a woman I would be resentful if the first wife got everything and I was emotionally "cleaning up" after her. ( as in -my husband thinks I am a gold digger everytime I talk to him about money because his first wife took everything).

About the prenup: she signed it! I do not disagree with prenups as they are sometimes necessary to protect assets.

About the economic classes: if you feel like she is living beyond her means bc she has you to provide that is a conversation you need to have with her!( my dh and I had the finances conversation early in our relationship and it has benefitted us greatly!Every once in a few months we revisit, sometimes very loudly lol).)You might be better with holding on to money than she is. Find what eachothers strengths with money are( Im the saver hes the spender so I let him get me my wants and pay half the bills while I save everything beyond my half of the bills).

About the advice being different: it is different being a man than being a woman...different being and SM than being an SF..This is just what IS societally/ economically. The advice also varies depending on circumstances regardless of gender. Also the advice is different because your wife has a job!!! Golddiggers by definition do not have jobs!( like your exwife based on things you have said here)

About her ex: She needs to get child support from him! But be prepared for that to cost her if she files/ pursues it. 

Notup4it's picture

I fully agree with this!! That is exactly it.... when you decided to bring paperwork and lawyers in it set everything up for failure. You set a tone and a precedent.  Your wife will now feel like crap that she is viewed as being lower than your precious first wife who you had children with.

You already assumed the worst from her,so that is most likely what you will now get. The tone is set that it is all about money, and what is yours and she is trying to lead with her heart and will feel punished for it. 

Maybe it was a good idea that you did a prenup after all because my crystal ball says she will want out in the next year or 2 based on how she is treated. 

^ I have very mixed feelings on Pre-nups. On one side, IF both have assets they want to protect, then it kind of makes sense. However, on the other side. It's like going into a marriage and expecting it to fail... And if you're already expecting that, why bother?

I would hate that feeling. I told me DH before we got married that I was expecting this to be a "one and done" type of thing... I was COMPLETELY putting all my faith in him being forever. If he had asked for a pre-nup, I can't quite say how that would make me feel. Because obviously I'M not expecting the marriage to ever fail, so no harm no foul... But if he's requesting one, I'd likely also feel that he's already anticipating our marriage to fail.  If he's anticipating it, then why marry me in the first place? It feels a bit like half arsing it. Like saying "I love you today, but I might not tomorrow and I need all my worldly possisions."

I get protecting yourself and your assets, but there also has to be a thought on at what expense that may be.

SAM_VUIN's picture

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about a pre-nup cloud hanging over my marriage.   

But you know what I hate worse?   Losing half my assets (been there, done that) or, worse, the idea of my kids being excluded from any inheritance when I die.

It's interesting that my original post was about trouble with sharing/gifting between the bio & step kids but folks seem to be really taken aback by someone having the desire for a pre-nup.     

Wouldn't you imagine that most people go into their marriage ceremony wtih the full intent of being married for the rest of their lives to a particular person?    (I did - TWICE!!)    At-fault divorce law is dead & buried.   The pre-nup simply says I am not relying on antiquated laws of my state to divy up things in case of my death or my spouse wants to move to Spain.    

Eh, assets are just assets. I've never had anything particularly worthwhile to hold onto I guess. But if you need a pre-nup go ham. Personally I have VERY mixed feelings. I'm not necesarilly opposed, just not relaly for one either in a sense.

I truly hope that everyone would go into a marriage with the intent for forever. At-fault divorce law is dead. But honestly amicable divorces, in sticky situations are hard to enforce as well without going back to court. Bm got 50% of the marital debt. Naturally we're paying it all because she took it out in DH's name and going back to court is $$$.

As for the skid issue. I get both sides. Your parents shouldn't be forced to see ANYONE as their grandchild that they don't want to, IE: DW's kids. However, from her point of view as well, she's seeing her kids likely feel snubbed by the awesome gifts your kids are getting. 

Do her parents give your kids gifts? She may be seeing it less from YOUR parents eyes and more from the skids and HER parents eyes.

Go into it less with all the pre-nup, less with her kids not being deserving becuase not real grandkids. I guarantee she'll IMMEADIATELY put defenses up. A defensive person is nearly impossible to have a conversation with. Ask her what solution she sees as being the best, how she plans to follow-through and what actions YOU TWO can take here. Gently remind her that you two can only control your ow nactions and not that of your parents.

Rags's picture

Even in intact initial families there are differences between how each child is treated and the gifts they receive.  Different kids have different interests and different needs.

My parents were the prototypical equal gifting focused parents until my brother finally reached his teens then baby bro and I sat them down and told them not to worry about balancing the gift spreadsheet and just give us what they wanted to provide for each of us.   As I am 6yrs the elder my younger brother would get gifts that were not necessarily what a pre-teen and young teen would want.

Even now my brother does not have much appreciation for many of the family heirlooms and very nice gifts that mom and dad tend to give each of us.  I am 54 and he is 48.   My wife and I love the stuff, my brother and my SIL... not so much.  So much so that it really bothers my parents that the incredible stuff they gift my brother goes into storage to molder and age and the similar stuff they gift to us is cherished and presented prominently in our home.

You bride needs some clarity.  The age that your bride brought her prior relationship children to your marriage does not make much of a foundation for your parents to have a strong GP relationship with her kids.

My wife and I met when my SS-26 was 15mos old and married the week before he turned 2yo. He is my parent's eldest  GK.  My SIL was pregnant with my niece when I introduced my parents to my amazing bride and future SS.  My son and my niece are 18mos apart.  My niece was born 6mos before my wife and I married so while SS is my parents eldest GK... he is not technically their first.  Not that that matters to them or anyone else.  My parents are extremely close to my son and heaven help anyone who tried to tell my parents that my son is not their GK.  It would not go well for that person.

Each blended family dynamic is different and that is amplified when those relationships are stepped out to the GP/Skid level.

Your bride needs some clarity on this I think.

My wife and I also come from decidedly different backgrounds.  My family are multigenerational professionals,  Expats and relatively affluent while her family are multigenerational low income farm laborers.  We met in college and have built our life and success together.  She brought the Skid to the marriage I brought a newly printed BSEE to the marriage.  We married 6mos after I graduated and since then have completed a dual major BS (her), two MBAs (one each) and two professional certs (one each) together.  I think that blending families is challenging regardless of the phase of life of all involved but it is harder when the kids are older.   Because we had the financial security of my degree from day one of our marriage we did not have the tensions of financial strain and since we had nothing but that degree when we married we were able to start at the beginning building a life and success together.  24 years and 15 days later... things are looking pretty good so far.

Your situation though not by any means strained from a financial position has a plethora of tensions that we did not have to address.

Good luck.

Survivingstephell's picture

How long did it take for your wife to adapt to your class level?  I've read your story for years on here and know how you two came from different backgrounds but I've never seen you talk about any struggles she might have had adapting to your level.  

Its always "easier" (more acceptable too) for a woman to marry up than a man to marry up.  What if the OP is just dealing with the wife adapting to a new level of class? Is the OP making her feel like a fish out of water?  After not having money, it must be a mental game to adjust to having some.  Does OP have some desire to keep her in her place for some sick twisted reason?  Does keeping her there feed a knight in shining armour complex?  So many psychological questions.  

SAM_VUIN's picture

Knight in shining armour complex?  I really, really don't think so.  

If anything, I am very protective of my bio children and sticking to my guns that I'd never expose my family to the financial disaster of a 2nd divorce.   I imagine many of you think that I shouldn't have remarried - because marriage is not right for someone unwilling to take on such risk.   ....Well, maybe you are correct.   My current marriage may indeed be a short one. 

Thanks again for your thoughts.

SteppedOut's picture

If you are already thinking your marriage will be short, along with the financial issues, get out now. Don't drag it out. 

SAM_VUIN's picture

No, I'm saying it COULD be short.  I have made ZERO changes to agreements since my wife agreed to marriage - we both knew exactly what we were getting into when we said "I do" - but pressure is coming from wife (did you see my original post??) - she continually wants things to be more advantagous for her and her bio kids' benefit.   Ultimately it will be her decision to accept things as agreed - most of which I view as being realites in a 2nd marriage.   

And trust me, when our duck boat sinks, she'll be saving her son & daughter before she helps out me & my kids.   (And you know what?  I get that.)

SteppedOut's picture

I'm really not "attacking" you, so I'm sorry if I came off like that. I just think...if you are already expecting or anticipating the end...the end is probably started. And, given the extreme difference in financial thoughts between you and your wife...it's hard to reconcile. 

You and your wife SHOULD get to the bottom of this IMPORTANT issue that has cropped up EARLY in your marriage and see if you can come to terms that are agreeable to both. If not for you and your wife, then for BOTH of your children. 

I think you both have valid points, regardless of "who is right and who is wrong" if you can't come to some sort of peace, this will plague your marriage. 

Rags's picture

Sorry for the delayed response to your question.   It took almost no time at all for my wife to adjust because we built what we have together.  My parents raised their sons to be self sufficient. Their major goal in that beyond raising us to be men of character was to provide for our education.  I was the rebel.  My undergrad took me 11yrs.  My parents paid for the first two and the last two of that adventure. I funded the middle 7 years.

If I had not taken 11 years I would have received a notable graduation gift from mom and dad as would my little brother who walked down the same stage to get his degree 20 secs  ... before I did.  Of course he gives me shit about graduating 6 years and 20 seconds before I did... And from his perspective he would be right. I turned 30 two weeks before graduation, he was nearly 24. His graduation money my parents spend on his wedding when he and his then GF got pregnant and mom and dad had to pay for birth of my niece 2 days before graduation.

As I said my wife and I have built what we have together.  All we had was two apartments full of college furniture,  my 8yo truck, my freshly completed BS degree and my $28K/yr job when we married.  The struggles she has had is with guilt about our success Vs her parents lack of it.  My MIL has always had a very odd perspective on her live in relation to my DW's.  My ILs received significant survivor's benefits for my DW when my MILs first husband (DW's BioDad) was killed 3 days before my MIL found out she was pregnant with my DW.  The VA survivor benefits were significant.  Rather than saving that money to invest, pay for college for all 4 of their children (my MIL & FIL (her second husband) had 3 together) and generally set themselves, my DW and her younger sibs up for success they squandered it along with anythine else they ever earned.  My wife bears significant unfounded guilt over her mother's situation which is amplified after my FIL's passing in June of this year.  Though she worried about her 3 younger sibs she is far less bothered by their idiot crap because she came from the same source as they have from a socio economic and being raised perspective.

I get the knight in shining armour thing. I went through what I call my rescue project phase where I met and dated some absolutely gorgeous though tragically flawed women that I was hell bent on rescuing.  I failed at the rescue attempts. My bride has never been a rescue project.  I had to up my game to be her equity life partner though we kicked this adventure off when she was 18 and a single teen mom to a 15mo old. 

So far... I have managed to keep up.

As far as my parent's affluence... my wish for them is to bounce their last check before moving on to the next adventure together.  They were young when they married (17 & 19) and were young when they had me (19 & 21) and while I had a great childhood and remain very close with them (my mom and DW are BFFs and my dad is one of my brides biggest fans) and benefited greatly from mom and dad's hard work and success, once we graduated my brother nor I have accepted a thing from our parents financially.  Unlike my bride, my SIL (bro's wife)  is a trust fund baby but that is another story for a later time. And it is a very interesing one since my SIL's mom and stepdad agreed to pay for the wedding and the birth of my niece but never did.  So my parents did.  My brother can't stand his ILs because of that and my parents can't stand them either.  None of us can for that matter. My SIL is so far in la-la land that she is clueless.

PrairieSky's picture

Despite getting a pre-nup, it’s clear you both didn’t sit down and really talk about financial expectations. I think you both need to do so now. From what I understand, you do have a joint account, where you put in more than her. Is that the difference between your salaries? I ask, since the percentage difference should allow your wife to save more money, although there may still be an issue. For example if you have a million dollar mortgage, yet want your wife to pay for 40% of it, etc.

The items you should discuss are:

1 Gifts from Grandparents. Your parents don’t owe your wife or her kids anything. But maybe they should be discrete in what they are giving your kids? (Give gifts privately, not at family gatherings, etc.)

2 College. Again, you and your parents don’t owe your stepchildren anything, BUT your income may prevent the stepkids from getting financial aid. Perhaps you two should visit a financial advisor in regards to skids’ financial needs?

3 Retirement do you plan on sharing your retirement income with your wife, while she is still living? (The pre-nup presumably covered the disbursement of your money to your children upon your death.)

By living together, this should allow her to save more of her income, but she should also understand that you (or your parents?) Will not be giving her kids money for college or any inheritance. 

If you are still at an impasse, and you want to save your marriage, I’d suggest marriage therapy with a counselor experienced in blended families.

SAM_VUIN's picture

We have a joint account - the idea being that we share everything that we earn from our wedding day.   There is no mortgage but I do set aside about $5,000 a year from my earnings to cover home repairs/improvements (I own the home and we keep the home separate financially).    I know some will balk at the idea that my wife does not have a financial interest in her home but as I've stated earlier, there is no mortgage and I'm not open to adding her name to the title.

We each put savings into our retirement accounts up to the limit (so she is definitely saving a lot more than she had in the past).  

Thanks for the comments - I think you are correct.

Maria10's picture

Yup. Sounds fair if you do not plan on leaving her the home then she should not be paying for its maintenance.

TwoOfUs's picture

Will she get to continue to live in the home until her death if you were to pass before her? Or will she be homeless in the middle of her grief if she's the surviving spouse? 

PrairieSky's picture

I don’t think there is anything wrong, keeping the house in your name, as long as you pay the upkeep. I have a friend who has the same type of setup with their house, and their partner. One item you might consider though, is if you pass prior to your wife, will she be able to live in the house until her death? This is an important consideration. 

In my friend’s case, the will states that the house will go to the children AFTER both my friend and her partner have passed. If you plan on giving your kids the house after you have passed, yet your wife still lives, that means she would have to buy a new home immediately. Personally, I would not do this, but if you are determined to do so, you need to let her know. 

She would then have to put aside money for a house, and it would only be fair to warn her of your plans. You should spell out your wishes in your will.

Notup4it's picture

To me your comments just reinforce what I said previously that you should not have gotten married. You have many issues going on aside the prenup itself.  Correct me if I misunderstood something here.... you said that your first marriage was biblical because it was sanctioned by the church, second you view not on par because it was by state. You. Have given the notion many many times over that you don’t view this marriage as sacred or as special and important. Im sure that hurts your wife deeply.

it is new, you are protected financially... I think that you will mess up her life and potential if you stay.  She should be finding a man with similar background where she can build a future with him and has the same values.

i think you are too damaged by your divorce and need to either maybe see if your ex will give it another go (because I think that is where your heart is) or only have girlfriends- and make sure that they come from wealthy families or are high income earners.

i think that your current wife does not have great skills at selecting a mate (hence first marriage issues for her as well) and maybe self esteem issues and she should be in individual counselling. And then hopefully she can make some resolution to fix these problems and find better for herself. 

And I’m sorry but your first marriage was crap of it ended in divorce how it did.... maybe you were giving and a great husband but I can tell you what she did is not what a great wife would do...and you need both parties equally committed to make great marriage.   Also, just because you have children does not make a marriage great.... some people use it as a meal ticket.   Her ex was an alcoholic and your ex was a leach..... that is the truth. My Ex and his family have more money than most.... and we have children and when I left I left him with the house and went and made use of my degree and climbed the corporate ladder.  Yes he pays child support because he is obligated to, but aside drom that that was all I “took”— he supports his DD he does not support me.

You can try counselling but I think getting married in the first place when you have this mindset and so many standing issues it was a giant mistake.

SAM_VUIN's picture

No - sorry if my statements were not clear. 

My first marriage was not centered around God much at all - I didn't say anything about it being "sanctioned by the church".

Thanks for replying but I think your judgement-to-obversation ratio is a bit high.   A "crap marriage" that produced many happy memories and 2 beautiful children?  I don't think so.   The reality is that people change their minds overwhat they want to do in life and who they want to be with (if anyone at all) and our society/courts increasingly accepts that people leave marriage at their own free will...yet the laws don't take into account (at all) which of the parties wish to break the marital agreement - thus why I believe pre-nups are a good thing. 

I would never post online to someone that their marriage was a "giant mistake" - seems you enjoy wielding around a sizeable amount of judgement.          

My DH was blackmailed into his first marriage by way of BM 1) getting preggo on purpose to trap him. Then when he tried to postpone the first time BM and GBM convinced him that all this was his fault and that he had "ruined her life. So the least he could do was support her." The second time he postponed? "I'm going to take this baby and leave, you'll never see her again, you'll never get to be her father." So finally he married the b****.

Guess what? My SDs. Two BEAUTIFUL children. Good personailites, strong willed, smart. But that doesn't mean the marriage wasn't a mistake. I'm sure there were happy memories somewhere between the s*** as well. But that still doesn't mean the marriage wasn't a mistake.

The reality is. The marriage failed. Any marriage that fails, frankly was a mistake. You have the kids, and it truly seems that you love them both. Which is amazing. Like truly amazing that you're looking out for your kids. But the marriage, it was a mistake.

I think your issue is, you're too hung up on that first marriage. There's too much comparison going on, there's too much focus on the "happy memories." Which, until you're ready to let that all go and put your full focus into YOUR MARRIAGE, you aren't ever going to be able to truly commit.

The pre-nup completely aside, the focus on the first, the fact you aren't ready to admit that it was a mistake (which it was, because it failed), you aren't quite ready to move past these supposed "happy memores" and the fact you have "two beautiful children." That's going to make your DW feel inferior, it's going to make her marriage seem inferior, and she's going to put up defenses because IT. HURTS. HER.

If you want your marriage to succeed, there can't be ANY comparisons to the first, no one wants to be compared, that's literally one of the scariest things abou being a second wife. You want to be seen for you. You need to see this marriage as your oNLY marriage, and your wife as your ONLY wife. Anything else is less than someone deserves in a marriage.

Just because she didnt' give you the "two beautiful children." Doesn't mean that the first marriage wasn't amistake, nor that your current one is in any way inferior. In fact, as the surviving marriage, it's actually the bada$$ one. The other is just a failed one.

Notup4it's picture

And I also fully agree with the sentiment above. You come across extremely hung up on your past!! I do think you jumped into marriage too quickly, because If not you would be putting your actual wife where you are currently still married first and not be talking about her the way you do. 

I would be willing to bet she is upset with how you come across with all that MUCH more so than she cares about the money. And that will be what ruins your current marriage if you don’t fully flip your way of thinking around. 

You seem to think quite low of your current wife, but justify your first wife’s behaviour.... I think you need to think more deeply about why that is.

SecondNoMore's picture

This guy is the reason I'm so cautious about even considering dating divorced men. Who wants to be held accountable for someone else's mistakes? This second wife is getting a lesser version of everything because he picked the wrong person on the first try. I wish more divorced people were just ok being alone rather than trying to have relationships when they don't have the emotional wherewithal required to make a lifetime commitment work.

(For the record: I have not yet been married or had kids, but found this site when I was dating a divorced dad - emphasis on WAS.)

Notup4it's picture

I’m sorry you are taking offence to my comments, but you asked for hard feedback.  I’m not intending to cause you upset, but you also have to look at the reality of things and what you are stating here.

Your wife is not happy, she is trying to change the status quo because she is unhappy about the current set up. Whether it is because she ultimately was “after your money” or is now having issue for deeper emotional issue caused by the view of your second marriage is up for debate.

You question her motives, and you disagree with her values surrounding a blended family. These are things you should have known before jumping into marriage. So yes you are financially protected but I am going to tell you that you are far from emotionally protected.  She is going to be building up resentment and you are going to end up divorced of you either don’t change your tune or she doesn’t change hers and comply with 2 separate entities within your marriage.  Either work furiously towards changing the way you look at things (I say this because it is much more difficult to get someone else to commit to changing) or I would pull the plug before her life becomes to intertwined with yours and she screws herself out of her potential, and you end up in more of a mess financially and emotionally— and I can tell you from first hand prenups don’t necessarily hold weight the longer you are in the marriage.... my ex had his second wife sign one and it didn’t help his situation when they broke up. It actually hurt him more because he had her sign one and he became very vilified in court for having one in the first place. I don’t know if that would happen to you, but it is a risk you take (and it is this way in Canada anyways).... I would check with a few lawyers outside of the one who drafted (and billed) you for that order.

im sorry I was confused with all the first marriage church and second marriage state comments, and all the stuff about getting married in your 20’s. I guess you lost me there?!

And to me a marriage is crap if it fails- despite good memories and children. Me and you view it different, to me marriage is about commitment- and she was lacking that.  So you might have had a great time, but it wasn’t great enough to last either. To  me also (and maybe I will be a bit judgemental here for a second) if a woman has adult (or older school aged children) and doesn’t have a valid medical reason to not be working in my eyes she was using you financially.  Your current wife although she doesn’t make as much income does work (I assume she hasn’t asked to stop working?!) and I would say is not using you. I could be wrong but from how your posts come across you are more concerned with your current wife using you and your family than you are of your first wife.... and it should prob be the other way around. 

justmakingthebest's picture

I realize that stepkids aren't your parents problem... I would never suggest that your parents build thier college fund. However, christmas gifts -- yes those should be equal. You don't get to choose who your parents are, you don't get to choose who your parents marry. However, being treated as "less" in a family really sucks and I personally find it shitty that you and your parents think it is ok. Give equally for birthdays, christmas, graduations, etc. 

DH and I have a prenup. We keep seperate accounts. However, all of our kids are treated equally by us and by all the aunts and uncles and grandparents. We are a family now. Birth, marriage or adoption doesn't matter. We are family. The end. 

TwoOfUs's picture

This is true. 

I have a step-nephew who my sister has full custody of. My whole family treats him as a totally equal member of the family. 

It's a little different, because he came into my sister's life at 5 and is now a half-sibling to her two younger children...and his involvement with his birth mother is almost non-existant. But birthdays...I do a card with $20 for all kids. Christmas...equal presents. My younger sister and I do a trip with niece and nephews every year, and he's always invited and treated equally. 

I also do have a college fund set up for my niece and nephews to help a bit with those expenses. It's not huge, but I contribute an equal amount for each kid. His ending amount may be less than the others because he was older when I started it and it will have less time to grow...but the contribution is the same. 

Again...I know it's different...and it's more difficult when the kids are even older. Your parents should never be expected to feel the same about your wife's kids as they do about yours...obviously. Nor should every single thing be equal. But if there's some big family celebration that includes gift-giving...things should be as equal and considerate as possible. This isn't rocket science. People do it all the time. 

Heck. My youngest sister is currently dating a guy that none of us can stand. Like...we literally can't stand this dude. She invited him to our family Christmas last year, where all siblings and sibling spouses do a gift exchange. We've been doing this for several years now (we used to do everyone got a gift for everyone else...but as there are 6 of us and 4 are now married and now there are kids...that got overwhelming).

We had to determine as a group how to handle it. Did we put him in the exchange? No one really wanted to...because no one knows him very well, so the person who drew his name would have less joy in giving the gift. That's not really fair. My youngest sister also kind of didn't want him to be in the exchange, because we have a pretty decadent price point for gifts, and he's in school and poor right now. He wouldn't know what to get, either, and would just be going through the motions, spending money he doesn't have. We also didn't want him to have to sit around watching us all open our $250-$300 gifts while he got nothing. That's rude. 

So, you know what? My brother and I...who make the most money and have the least responsibility in terms of kids at Christmas...we went together and got him an equal gift. Did I WANT to spend an extra $150 at Christmastime on some boyfriend that I hope isn't around for much longer? Of course not. But I did it gladly because I love my sister and want HER to have a good Christmas. Her comfort and happiness is important to me...and as much as I think the guy is wrong for her, I didn't mind watching a less fortuante college student get teary-eyed and excited about some new clothes, shoes, belt and gift card. 'Cause I'm not a Scrooge. 

Take from that story what you will.   

I don't want to be too prescriptive, but I think you either need to be considerate to all kids at family gift exchanges...or change your family customs so as not to be rude. 

ndc's picture

Do the wealthy parents of your SKs alcoholic loser father give the skids Christmas and birthday presents?  It sounds like they have wealthy grandparents also, which makes it more surprising to me that your wife is expecting your parents, who have no biological tie to your skids, to give them gifts equivalent to the ones they give to their grandchildren.  Your skids are the only grandchildren of wealthy people and they're not getting something reasonably equivalent from that side of the family?  If so, that's sad.  Not that anyone owes someone else a gift, but you can't take it with you . . . . 

notsobad's picture

Having read through this I really feel that you are not over the fact that your first marriage failed.

It seems that you wish that it had worked out and that you were still married and living the life the you had planned on living. I'm not saying that you still love your exwife, but I do think you miss the life you thought you were going to live with her.

You had an idea, a mental image of who you were supposed to be, married, financially well off, nice home, children grown and doing well, maybe a grandchild or two, vacations, retirement, etc. Your divorce changed that image and you had to create a new one. Except that you resent the change, you still want all the same things.

So now you're remarried but the dynamics are different, unfamiliar and I don't think that you like it.

Your post is about so much more than whether your parents should treat your skids the same as they treat your children. It's about you and what you want your new life to look like.

SAM_VUIN's picture

Well, it did certainly get off on a tangent.   

I think my situation isn’t a whole lot different than if my ex-wife had died - meaning I didnt want/choose divorce.   Even though I may be in a solid marriage now, there’s no doubt the demands and stress are much larger in my 2nd marriage.   This marriage and blended family creates a great amount of work.   So if I could wave a “magic wand” and go back to 2011 when my marriage and family life seemed “pretty good” then OF COURSE I would.   Honestly, who wants to leave a marriage that seems good and supports 2 kids in one home?      

My (ex)wife changing her mind about us was a shock.    Although it took a long time to get over it, one does have to move on and that’s what I’ve done...to make the best of it.

Gucci's picture

I am a teacher that makes 40k a year. My husband has a main job and does political work in even years. In 2016 he made around 250k combined. He has never once expected me to live off of what I make alone. I pay my student loans and car payment and credit cards, the rest is my money to save or spend. 

He treats ALL of our children (my two, his two) the exact same. He has included my children in his will. We are a solid family. Everyone gets the same treatment regardless of biology. As for grandparents, you can’t make them give the other kids presents. But they shouldn’t want those children to feel left out or less than, either. 

And here I thought my husband’s ex wife casted one hell of a shadow.... your wife must be a saint.