You are here

To conceive or not to conceive....that is the question

unwillingparticipant's picture

VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY long story short: I don't know if I want children.
DH and I have primary residential custody. SS11's BM, maternal grandmommy, maternal granddaddy are all f'ing NIGHTMARES and fit the textbook-definition of employing their skill at parental alienation with ss11. BM lives with her parents (she's 37, no job, on disability, making QUITE a living w/dh's alimony and her disability. Like, more than I make at my full-time 50 hour a week job which is in itself infuriating) so ss11 is exposed to all 3 of them all the time when he's there. SS11 is incredibly fragile, emotionally unstable, completely unreasonable, totally insane, overreactive, dramatic, etc etc etc.

1) I truly believe that if dh and I didn't have a child to raise together that wasn't mine (ss11) we'd have children of our own by now

2) I'm getting older now; almost 34 and wondering if I want to have children because my clock is ticking

3) I'm also wondering if I want to have children just because that's what youre supposed to do after you get married

4) I don't want to allow someone else to influence my decision making.

How did you all handle it when faced with the decision to have children w/dh or dw after you got married even with stepchildren in the picture? What factors came into play? Was it an easy decision? Hardest decision ever?
help!

christinen's picture

Do you really want to raise someone else's kid and not have one of your own? Just something to think about.. I know I would not have married a man with a kid if I didn't plan on having my own children. I would not be able to handle that.