You are here

BM interfering with my job!!

notarealmomma's picture

Okay, so I am an in-home daycare provider. I am legally unlicensed, yet I abide by the regulations and criteria of my state. I work very hard to maintain my status and reputation, and the parents whose children I care for love having me as their provider.

However.

I have reason to believe that my DH's BM has decided to stoop to an all time low. It has been brought to my attention previously that BM contacted the DHHR in my state (she utilizes state benefits and refuses to get a better job than waitressing) to inquire as to what rights she has to keep the skids away from me because I am "mean". Total bogus story, but it seems they told her there was nothing she could really do. Especially since, ya know, I'm not mean. Strict yes. Mean no.

Anyway, I received a message from the DHHR today, inquiring as to my status with my daycare to ensure that I am following state rules and to make certain there are no further permits etc that I require. Of course, I am and have no problem sharing my info since I know that I am following the rules. BUT it seems mighty strange that they have my info to contact me in the first place!! Especially after the aforementioned incident. She can't do a thing about my relationship with DH and the skids, so let's attempt to sabotage my job. I am guessing that next I will receive a call from the IRS in regards to an audit! Lol. Never mind the income she receives as a waitress and doesn't report. Filthy hypocrite. So glad she has no ground to stand on!

misSTEP's picture

I would just go ahead and get licensed. You will have less to worry about and be more attractive to those looking for a daycare.

But yeah, sucks to have a disgruntled BM like that.

DarkStar's picture

I think some people are misinformed....
In many states, you do not have to be licensed to have a legal day care. There is nothing wrong with this. My boss' wife has run a legal, unlicensed daycare for several years. She has a waiting list and an excellent reputation.

notarealmomma's picture

Thank you, DarkStar -- this is absolutely correct! Also, true of my situation as well. I'm primarily promoted through word of mouth, which is how nearly all of my clients have found me. I've never had a contract ended on bad terms -- only ever due to unforseeable circumstances and children outgrowing my program to attend preschool Smile

still learning's picture

If you already abide by the regulations and criteria of your state then it will be easy to be licensed. If this is the only thing she's holding over your head then you can promptly remove that target.

notarealmomma's picture

As stated, I am LEGALLY unlicensed. As others have stated, there is a huge misconception that you must be licensed to be legal, which is not the case. It varies state to state, and I follow the guidelines implemented by mine. I maintain a small number of children, and I have not become licensed simply by personal choice, and my parents who have signed on with me know this. They chose me based on my qualifications and their decision that I was who they trusted. I have not done anything illegal, therefore there is nothing to protect. I am simply irritated based on my beliefs that BM has done this since she HAS gone to the state in the past. Why would my clients report me but continue to bring their children to me? Sure, anyone can speak their concerns. But my point is that she is the only one to have cause to do so. And she HAS done things of this nature in the past.

Disneyfan's picture

How are the parents paying for your services? All they all paying market rate or are they using vouchers to cover the cost? If social services or any other agency is helping to cover the fees, then being contacted by DHHR is a given. Heck, the fact that you are operating a day care means that they (and the health dept, fire department...)can call/pop up at any time to do an inspection.

Are any of the parents divorced? If so, the NCP parent may have called because he/she doesn't want their child in an unlicensed day care. I sure as hell would make a stink about that. Especially if I were required to help pay the fees.

A neighbor or another center may have called. If you take the kids to the park, on walks...anyone you encountered could have called and complained about something you did or said to one of the kids.

You really have no way of knowing that BM was the one who placed the call.

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

i JUST Put my baby in the home of a neighbor. I made my decision based on her degree in Early Childhood education, her references, that she does indeed keep the child until when they reach preschool, her curriculum, and her hours and closeness to my house and her 12 years of experience. I like that both of her children are National Merit Honor students. I could give a flying monkey's butt about any license. But that's just me. As a 911 operator, I took many many calls about daycares that left children at a park cause they plain forgot them on a field trip or left a baby in the car and it died and they had licenses. I'm self pay and I don't get state vouchers so a license paid no role whatsoever in my decision making. My coworker here was telling me how I'm overpaying and her granddaughter goes to a sitter for $20 a day and she has some little certificates. Eh. I think you get what you pay for. I like that my baby is going to be one of three or four and not one of 40!

notarealmomma's picture

For the sake of argument, I will clarify that I do not need a license and choose not to obtain one because I do not have interest in keeping more than 3-4 children. The money is irrelevant as I do this because I love it and because of the freedom it allows me of having my own business. I do not accept state subsidies or assistance, so my services are strictly between the parents and I. I am more than open to inspections by professionals if need be, as I have stated, I have nothing to hide. The state can come knock on my door and investigate me anytime, but they will leave empty handed. Because I only have interest in maintaining a small business, it would not make financial sense for me to become licensed. All of a sudden, any Potential profit will fly out the door for licensing and all the requirements that go with it. Just because a provider is licensed does not mean they provide quality care. More licensed daycares are reported for negligence and abuse than small in-home services such as mine. I maintain a relationship with my clients on a personal and business level, and many parents tell me that they love it because they know ONE person is caring for their child, and they know I love them too. I also have no problem filling empty spots because of the positive word of mouth business I receive. i didn't post this thread to have my business preferences and practices critiqued -- I am not concerned about the well being of my job. It is secure and will remain that way. I am not going to get into trouble no matter who reports a concern about my care. They will find that I am perfectly legal. And I do not need a piece of paper to validate my professionalism.

twoviewpoints's picture

So its all cool. What's the problem? The look-see will show you're fine and you and your business will go happily on.

If BM started the look-see to try and make problems for you she'll have failed. Miserably so. Unfortunately you can't control what shenanigans BM tries.

notarealmomma's picture

I know, and I agree -- I simply posted to rant because I don't have too many sources that I can talk to. No problems, just irritated because it's always one thing after another with her. Sorry for having give the wrong impression here.

Disneyfan's picture

But you have no idea if BM filed a complaint. Licensed or not~when a compliant is made (or your site is picked for a random), a call or visit will be made.

DarkStar's picture

**sigh** some people just don't listen do they?
The point of this thread was NOT to discuss licensed vs unlicensed daycare!
OP, do you think you have enough evidence to get a no-contact order?
I sure would if anyone was threatening my livelihood!

notarealmomma's picture

Lol I was wondering the same DarkStar! I reread my original post to confirm what exactly I wrote to understand why the questioning was going where it went. But now hopefully things have been clarified! Smile

Anyway, I doubt there is much I can do since my daycare work can be scrutinized by anyone who thinks they have good reason. There is a CO in place which basically states that everyone needs to keep to themselves and absolutely no social media used for purposes such as slandering, shaming, the usual. But unless I had proof, I just have to grin and bare it! That, and take satisfaction in knowing she is only going to dead end again in her game to villainize me!

notarealmomma's picture

All of my neighbors have been extremely nice and supportive, but of course, some people may be completely different behind closed doors! As for BM, she wasn't happy with how court went back in July, and I know that she had contacted the DHHR to see if she could basically keep the skids from me because I was "mean". I think this is just a poke from her because she can't seem to interfere in my personal life, basically. So why not take a jab at my business? I just have my strong suspicions, but of course, who knows!

And I definitely understand about the scamming -- idk how on earth people do it, but it is awful and certainly makes things awful for those of us trying to do the right thing and for parents who just want someone responsible to care for their child!

Rags's picture

Time to sue her idiot ass. I would. Own her butt, put her living in a cardboard box under the local overpass.

Most of all, have fun doing it. }:)

Toxic dipshits like this need their asses kicked frequently, assertively, and completely. Interfering with someone's livelihood with fabricated inaccuracies and manipulation is intolerable IMHO.