You are here

Almost Suicidal / Depressed as Step-Mom to Three Kids!

LawyerGirl's picture

Dear Step-Talk: I found your site today and so glad I did. I hope venting to you all and hopefully getting some good responses will help me a bit. I'm really down and depressed lately. Almost suicidal at times, which is totally not normal for me: I'm an educated professional woman with a ton of friends and a good life (until I started dating my BF last year).

This is the situation: My BF is a single father to three sweet girls (ages upper elementary to middle school at the moment). I really like them. I really liked MY relationship with BF at first: He was sweet when we first met last year and still is usually great about taking me out to dinner, giving me foot rubs after a long day, buying me presents. But I HATE my life with him and the kids!

I have no children yet of my own, and BF is a widower. We've been together about 15 months and the longer we're together, the more I think he didn't want a GF at all. He wanted a sex slave who would be a free nanny and caretaker of his kids! He and his wife were divorced, and then she passed away about two years ago. He doesn't lift a finger, except for working and paying the bills. I think he's an absolutely awful parent. He doesn't cook the kids dinner or make their lunches or breakfasts; he won't clean (at all) and yells at them for not cleaning!

This is my dilemma: I really love the girls and I'm afraid they'll suffer if I abandon them. My heart is aching over this and I've seriously considered suicide lately. I feel so trapped. What can I do at this point?

I appreciate any suggestions or advice to make this situation easier.

Valkyrie's picture

Hi and welcome. Take a deep breath, you will find lots of support here.

"He wanted a sex slave who would be a free nanny and caretaker of his kids!" Yes, this is where you welcome him to 2017 and this new thing called equal rights. Sit him down with a plan and calmly discuss a fair an equitable arrangement that you are happy with. However you are talking more about the welfare of the kids than your relationship with their father, so it seems like there is more going on here, are you afraid of this man?

LawyerGirl's picture

Valkyrie: Thank you for asking: I don't think I'm afraid of him (I was at one point, he has a temper). But it's really just a mix of two things that kept me there so long: The good times we have SOME of the time, PLUS my genuine love / affection for the kids. They're fun and real sweethearts, despite everything I've seen.

I worry (though I'm trying to get past it) that they will fall apart. I only can hope that since they're getting older (two older girls are teens now), they will have the strength to fight if things get really bad. They have cell phones and each other...

Veritas's picture

I understand that this situation has frustrated you and I also understand that you have strong feelings for the girls, but I am very concerned over your talk of suicide. I think that it is time to put yourself first and seek professional help asap. These feelings of despair need to be addressed for your own benefit.

ldvilen's picture

So, one person does this and we are all guilty? "I don't know why anyone called your skids brats?" Who is projecting now? Too bad you had to throw that alienating side comment in there, otherwise maybe more would have read your advice.

LawyerGirl's picture

StepRightOff: You may be right that his behavior is more of the norm than I expect. But it doesn't sit right with me! We make a good deal of money now and there is NO reason that he should sit on couch with a cell phone game in his hand, while girls scrub the kitchen floor. It's ridiculous. No one I know expects kids in elementary school (as they were when their mom died) to be fully responsible for all cleaning and cooking...

We're both highly paid professionals: He can hire a cleaning service, if he doesn't want to clean the kitchen. Now, taking plates to the sink, setting the table, putting away the groceries: Sure, those are normal chores. I'm not at all against chores! I'm against him dumping all household tasks that his wife took care of when she was alive on a bunch of children and middle school kids!

Anyway, thank you for commenting. I need to get back to my work!!

Just1question's picture

You gotta get out of that relationship. If you’re worried to leave because of the girls, what do you think suicide would do to them? You would still be gone and they would be devastated. You need to take care of yourself first and leave that situation. Maybe he’ll buck up without you doing all the work around the house. But honesty, what happens to them can’t mstter at this point, you need to do what is best for you.

I will survive the SD from HELL's picture

Please read around this site for a bit. Your're not alone and unfortunately your situation will not change as those are your bf's kids,so therefore you have no say in how they are raised. The best thing would be to get out of the situation so it stops affecting you daily. If he's abusing his girls, report it. If he's just a douche bag, be glad you're done with it and didn't marry him or chose him to have bios with!

SugarSpice's picture

lawyergirl, i feel for you. many of us have felt this way. believe me.

even with education and intelligence, you cant deny what you feel. most psychologists will tell you depression is anger turned inward.

your bf is not a widower. a widower is a man whose wife dies while he is still married to her. maybe your bf likes the drama and pathos by identifying as a widower. he is not.

the girls are sad they lost their mother. this is understandable but you are not their mother.

you are angry and resentful. you said it all here:

"He wanted a sex slave who would be a free nanny and caretaker of his kids! He and his wife were divorced, and then she passed away about two years ago. He doesn't lift a finger, except for working and paying the bills."

you dont seem to be as angry at the girls as you are with bf. you are the unpaid maid and sex slave. you dont feel loved and you certainly dont feel appreciated.

in the end you must decide what to do. you are not married and these children are not your responsibility.

get some help in counseling. do you think there is anything unhealthy in the psyche of your bf? you can explore this in counseling as well. there is hope in the despair. again many of us have been in these shoes.

in the end you are only obligated to your own health and sanity.

LawyerGirl's picture

SugarSpice: Thank you!! Like you said, I am not angry at the girls... There's really nothing for me to be angry at THEM about. They're (all three of them) nice kids. I get along with the two younger girls a bit better than the oldest, who has been sort of a "mom" figure to her slightly younger sisters since the divorce/death of her mom (she was sick for a long time before dying, so there was really no "mom" figure for awhile, from what I've been told).

I have been reading all about these other people's problems on here and I feel better than I'm not alone. I feel markedly LESS suicidal today, actually. Went and worked out this morning (first time doing something for ME in a long time, it feels like). It's a sunny day. My business is going well and I have lots of energy (for once)! I've also been preparing the girls a bit for me perhaps leaving (I may relocate back to my hometown soon, where I'm setting up a satellite office for my law firm). They seem more OK with it than I'd thought. I hate to leave THEM (their dad is a good guy, but not my life's true love, IMO, even without the step-kid drama).

I'll write more later - legal work (and Xmas cards) beckon. Thank you ALL so much for your insightful comments and wonderful place to vent and lend support.

Kes's picture

Please don't consider suicide - I had a suicide in my immediate family and it's awful for those left behind. Plus for you it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Don't stay with this man who's doing nothing for anyone except himself- you deserve better.

LawyerGirl's picture

Thank you, Kes: I appreciate your support. Like others on here have said, in responding to my post: You're right: Suicide IS a permanent solution to a temporary problem. And if I'm not helping the kids by leaving them, I'm certainly not helping them by committing suicide.

It's just been a rough year. Hugs you all.

secret's picture

"Ask your dad"
"Your kids need you to make them dinner"
"I'm not with you because I feel the need to mother your kids"
"Can you parent your kids into helping around the house? I'm not the maid"

LawyerGirl's picture

Those are good ones! I read an article (maybe a link from here) a few weeks ago about "disengagement" and I've been trying it with mostly good results. I guess it's just weird to me to see such a dysfunctional household. My family growing up was SO normal! Two parents, dinner on table at six, kids did chores and mowed the lawn, we did our homework and got kissed goodnight. Nothing out of the ordinary, I thought. But apparently not what everyone experiences, sadly.

hereiam's picture

You know that you are being used, only you can do something about it.

The kids are not your responsibility and should not affect your decision. I know that you care about them, but they are not yours and you do not have to sacrifice yourself for them. They have a father, and even if you don't think that he's a good father, he is what they've got.

You are not trapped and if this situation is making you feel suicidal, you need to get out of it. You've been with him 15 months and now know who he really is. He's not going to change. You need to leave.

VeteranStepMom's picture

Since you've identified what you believe to be the reasons why he's with you, my only advice is to part ways, especially since you've mentioned he isn't a good father. That alone will drive you to depression.

LawyerGirl's picture

VeteranStepMom: You are right. It is so weird, but WATCHING him mistreat his kids (ignoring their tears, telling them to get their own dinner while he plays a video game) does drive me to DEPRESSION. I told him that watching him mistreat his kids is like watching a man kick a puppy, over and over again, in front of you. It's disgusting. It puts my stomach into serious knots! I've raised my blood pressure and had other health issues, plus the depression and crying jags...

He just keeps saying it's not his fault. Nothing is ever his fault. Not one thing that he has ever done... His wife left him "for no reason" - his friend cut him off "for no reason" - his kids are mad at him "because they don't know any better." NOTHING I say changes this attitude... It's infuriating.

And so unnecessary. He's a fairly good looking, very financially successful man in his 40's. What the F is his problem?? Whatever it is, I can't deal with it.

Love you guys!!!

Tuff Noogies's picture

first of all - "I'm really down and depressed lately. Almost suicidal at times, which is totally not normal for me: I'm an educated professional woman with a ton of friends and a good life (until I started dating my BF last year)." i think you already know the answer. your relationship with him is not healthy for YOU. you need and DESERVE to be healthy - you need professional help.

secondly - if you left, you would NOT be abandoning the girls. the household would run the same way it did during the nine months your BF had them all by his big-boy self. you are doing a BIG disservice to them by living this way, for them to grow up thinking how you are treated as a wife/partner is NORMAL and perfectly acceptable. SHOW THEM OTHERWISE. it may give them the courage in adulthood to leave a relationship that destroys them mentally/emotionally and are treated as a doormat.

YOU deserve to be healthy and happy. and so do the girls.

ESMOD's picture

Unfortunately, you can't save the girls when you are drowning yourself (figuratively speaking). You can't care more than their own parents do either. Suffice to say that it's quite likely the girls will be just fine and daddy will pick up the slack or his EX will fill in, or he will find another poor girl to fill the slot.

You can't save the world. You have to take care of yourself. If you truly feel the girls will be at a dire risk you can report to social services to do a home check after you leave.

LawyerGirl's picture

Thank you ALL for your comments... I feel much more empowered. This site has been very helpful in explaining some of the bizarre dynamics at work.

I've never experienced a "bad" parenting style before: I mean, I had friends whose dads worked too many hours, or who fought with their moms about their allowances or curfew, or who were crappy cooks or something minor. But until I started seeing how this guy I've been dating has treated his kids (like a burden that he avoids), I never saw a truly crappy home environment. And it's not explained by drug abuse or poverty: He just doesn't FEEL like cooking dinner or taking them to soccer practice or preventing gnats buzzing around the kitchen from dirty dishes or food left out. He'd rather avoid it.

Thank you all for helping me (with your comments and generally on this website) see that this pattern isn't all that abnormal: A single dad hopes that a woman he "dates" or marries will just take care of his kids and house!

I'm so glad to be getting the strength to deal with this: I have to remember that HIS crappy attitude towards his kids and household chores does not mean that it is MY responsibility. I have to save myself.

On that note, I really need to work!!

love,
LawyerGirl Smile

nobios3steps's picture

You can not save them, been there done that, when they turn 18, you were nothing to them, (in my case) until they need something.