You are here

One week down, and I'm already screaming!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

SD has only been back under my roof a week, and I'm already full of tension. I am SO looking forward to my alone time at the gym tonight! I really need to take out some frustration!

I've had to be on my SD every day to pick up after herself...her dishes being left in the sink, her dirty socks being left in my living room...every day she gets home, she plops herself on the couch in front of the TV and falls asleep! The hallway bathroom that she uses is completely trashed (we have a "mother-in-law" floor plan, so my son has his own bathroom off of his room). I noticed a smell yesterday, and followed it to the bathroom, where there was an unflushed toilet, clothes all over the floor, hair products and stylers strewn everywhere. When I told her to pick up her dirty socks last night (which were from the day before), I got the grunt and the eye-roll...like it was so terrible that I wouldn't let her keep her dirty socks under my coffee table...and DH just sat there!

Oh, and before SD moved back in, I only had to cook a couple of nights a week, and didn't have to worry about what I fixed. I could fix us enough to go a couple of days, as we didn't have issue with eating left overs...or many nights, DH would just want a sandwich, and my son would get something on his way to work. Now, I'm EXPECTED to cook every night...and what's worse, is that my SD doesn't like most of what I make, because I cook too healthy...she would eat every night at McDonalds if I allowed it...she always seems bummed that we aren't going out to eat, but she has to put up with my cooking (which, by the way, I've had many, many people compliment me on my cooking skills and my pallet for flavors). Last night, she tried to throw half of her food in the trash! What's worse, is not only do I have to do all the cooking, I have to clean up after, as well! Last night, seriously, I announced to BOTH DH and my SD, "So, why, after I work all day, do I have to cook the mean AND clean do the dishes used to cook the meal?" DH said that he would get my SD to help him do the dishes. This was 7:30 p.m. 10:00 p.m. came around, and I was ready to go to bed...the dishes hadn't been touched! So, I did them myself, because I'm not about to get infested with pests because of dishes sitting all night (we ended up with roaches a while back because of some of the boxes my daughter got out of storage when she moved back in temporarily...was a pain in the butt to get rid of those...and every year around this time, we start having a problem with ants if food/dirty dishes/trash is left around). DH KNOWS how I feel about dishes left overnight in the sink!

Oh, and the food in the trash...that is another thing that gets me...waste! If you aren't going to eat it, don't put it on your plate, or don't order it at a restaurant. My SD throws so much away, because she doesn't do left overs, takes too much of something before figuring out if she likes it, etc. I would rather her not take so much and leave it in the pan so that someone else may actually eat it, instead of it going in the trash (you know, like my son when he gets home from work).

Food isn't the only thing she wastes...she will be forever in the bathroom, leaving the water running in the shower while she is looking at herself in the mirror or picking at her zits. Last night, she had the water running for nearly 40 minutes! We have a bigger hot water heater, and by the time I went to do the dinner dishes, I almost didn't have enough hot water to was the two pans used! NO ONE else had taken a shower, just her. That not only runs up the water bill, but also wastes the propane, which at $2.75/gallon, and I can only order it 100 gallons at a time, is not cheap. With myself, my son, and DH, 100 gallons usually lasts us about 6 months...I don't see that happening with my SD around. Why does waste get to me so much? To me, being wasteful and being selfish go hand in hand. If only one person in the world is wasteful...sure, that is not a big deal...problem is there are too many wasteful people out there who cause the price of things to go up on everyone else because of the laws of supply and demand! And the waste tends to come from the attitude of not caring...if I have the money (or have no care about where the money comes from), I can use as much as I want! I believe in doing my part...and this isn't some environmental wacko thing...I just believe in waste not/want not...only take what you will actually use. Not to mention, I cover most of the bills around here, so who is going to have to pick up the extra water bill, propane bill, etc.? I told my husband last night that there is NO reason for her to be taking 40 minute showers...she should be able to get everything done in 10 minutes or less...including shaving her legs...as it never takes me any longer than that! He said he would have a talk to her about it...oh boy...another talk.

Then, there is this color guard thing...she has practice EVERY DAY for the rest of the school year, and there is still 2 weeks left of school here. DH is not even attempting to get off early to go get her, so your's truly has to go get her or I have to hear about how I always did what I could to get my kids home from band/sports when they were involved in these things, and how I'm being unfair and mean if I don't do the same for my SD. This is only to learn the routine for tryouts...is it bad that I hope she doesn't make it? I mean, she has a hard enough time keeping her grades up...extra activities only seem to cause her more trouble than good, as she always manages to find the wrong people to hang out with.

Oh, and what is with the "daddy come tuck me in" every night? She is 14!!! She wants nothing to do with him all evening (probably because I'm around), but then wants to be tucked in? Not to mention, she is supposed to be in bed BY 10:00 p.m., which is when I try to go to bed because I have to be up by early every day...but I'm regularly stuck awake until 11:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. because...well...she has to dry her hair and all that...so I have to deal with the noise of opening and closing doors between her room and the bathroom (which she NEVER closes a door lightly) and the roaring sound of her hair drying, because she has to dry her hair with the bathroom door open because her 40 minute shower got it too steamy in there! The whole bed time routine starts at 9:00 p.m....you try to tell her to take her shower any earlier, and again with the eye rolls and attitude!

Sorry...I just need to vent. Her "highness" is really getting to me. Tonight should be interesting...I told DH what there is to eat for dinner in the house...and made it plenty clear that we are on limited budget until the end of the month (payday) because our expenses have been thrown out of whack with my SD moving back in and BM already getting the full month of child support. I will be very surprised if SHE doesn't talk him into stopping to get fast food, which will be $20 easy because he always lets her order whatever she wants (oh, and she always has to have all the extras...bacon, super sized soda, etc...even though she takes like two bites and throws the rest of it away), when there is already perfectly good food here at the house for them to eat which cost about half of that! Seriously...I am thinking about opening my own checking account and start moving money as needed for bills (because with the online pay, that money comes out the second I press the button)...I mean, he cannot spend what is not there, right?

Thanks for the link. I often times feel that is EXACTLY what DH is doing...putting me in the "nanny" slot so that he doesn't have to actually parent! Yes, I found ways to get my kids to and from school when they were in activities, because I was their parent and it was my responsibility! Sure, DH adopted my kids which made them his responsibility, too...but bottom line was that I was bringing the kids into the relationship, and they were primarily my responsibility. I took time off for parent-teacher meetings (which, when my son was going through his phase when my ex decided he simply didn't want to be a dad, there were plenty of those), arranged my schedule around their activities, took the lead in discipline, etc. DH should be arranging his schedule...forget that I work from home, it is still HIS responsibility! I shouldn't be telling her to pick up her socks...HE should be doing it (oh, and last night with the sock thing, all he did was throw the socks to the middle of the living room floor so that MAYBE she would see them and pick them up...after they sat there as she came to the living room TWICE to get DH to sign paper work for her schedule next year and stuff, I finally had to be the one to tell her, "Take your dirty socks to your room!" He won't say anything to her until I get mad at him for letting things go, and then it is one of those calm little talks, where I swear he tells her something like, "...just to keep her happy, could you..." DH refuses to see this child for what she really is! I mean, before this pot smoking stuff came up AGAIN, I could sense she was hiding something...I can tell when she is lying or hiding something, as I seem to be the only one who is tuned in to her moods and mannerisms. It was no surprise to me when it turned out she was STILL smoking pot at BM's house! I don't trust this kid at all...she's 14 and I don't feel like I can trust her alone in this house, even for an hour!

UGH!! I just looked at her food charges at school. She KNOWS that she is supposed to ONLY buy standard lunch at school...that we (or should I say I) are not going to pay for EXTRAS! Today...lunch and 3 slushies? Yesterday...two breakfasts, lunch, and cookies! And when her lunch account is empty, she is going to beg daddy to put more in and he will! Sorry, I am not paying $7/day for school lunch! My son doesn't even spend that...and if he wants extras, he uses his own money because...oh, let's see...HE WORKS! This little princess doesn't even do household chores!

I tell my husband about it this afternoon...that he obviously needs to set it straight with her...and he gets all irritated with me, and says, "I don't think she knows what to do with money." Really? You think? She seems to think that in this house, money grows on trees and she can do whatever she wants! I told him that this discussion was had before, and she was TOLD that she was to ONLY buy standard lunch at school, and if she wanted breakfast, she was to eat at home before she left! I get her out of bed at 6:00 a.m., and she doesn't have to catch the bus until 6:45 a.m. Considering she takes her shower at night, there is NO REASON for her to not have time for breakfast at home...there's cereal, sausage biscuits, bread, peanut butter...several choices. Doesn't know what to do with money? Oh, that excuse really pisses me off! She's even allowed an after school snack when she gets home! Here I am still trying to catch up on bills from the entire month of January when DH was out of work (yes, being a month behind on bills because nearly an entire half of the household income didn't come in sucks...and then DH having to take a pay cut when he took the first job that came around, because he needed to work). I'm tired of this little princess thinking the money never runs out..."I need...I want". I have one tank of gas...maybe...on my rechargeable gas card (I use that because a local grocery store here offers 12 cents per gallon off if you use a pre-loaded gift card)...that was my entire gas budget for the month. At the rate this little princes is spending my money (yes, my money, because DH's paycheck is already long gone), I'm not going to make it the 8 days left until pay day! Good thing I work from home, or the little princess would be running up my electric bill because "it's too hot" while she sits on her butt in front of the TV all day. Sorry, princess...that thermostat will stay on 78, and you are going to have very limited TV time!

UGH...I so mad right now. A talk...A TALK. I can imagine how that is going to go..."Just don't buy the extra stuff, and if you want something extra, ask me." GRRRR!!! What about, "This is what lunch costs every day, and we will ONLY put in your account enough to cover standard lunch, and if you spend extra, oh well...you are just going to have to wait until the next pay period when we put in exactly what you will need for lunch again before we get paid again!" She spends because she thinks the money is free-flowing...she needs to understand what a budget is, and that we stick to one in THIS house!

I'm just waiting until she NEEDS makeup! She already tried to get me to buy her those one-use makeup removal clothes...I told her, "Um, no. That is what soap and water is for...that is what I use, and the same is perfectly fine for you!" She tries to claim there are no washclothes, and I'm like, "Well, there were some in your bathroom...maybe you need to do laundry." Oh, and she is picky about her makeup...the stuff she wants is the more expensive stuff...$7 eyeliners and $12 mascara. If I buy her the cheaper stuff, she's all, "Ugh...it's not the same!" You are 14!!! Get over yourself!

headsaregonnaroll's picture

On this end I have called the school services and let them know that the kids are not allowed more than the standard lunch. They CAN put a stop on the accounts so she has only that available....

OR, put nothing in there, tell them no lunches are to be bought and guess what? The little bitch can PACK A LUNCH for her efforts with overcharging this month. Ain't gonna kill her....And daddddyyy needs to grow a pair!

71smurfs's picture

well pick up her dirty clothes after her but dont wash them, when she runs out and has no clean clothes just say didnt no you had any washing as wasn't put where i asked you to put it. bed time really is it not about time that dad stood up and said something, if she wants hugs from daddy dear daddy dear should tell her to go to bed earlier. as for the shower had the same problem with my daughter but she soon cut her time down when she was told if she didn't get out sooner i would turn of at fuse box. as for my step son he was told in shower an hour before bed or you dont get one. but he got to stand by you. but my guess is he wont shes his little angel and cant do nothing wrong you are just over reacting. as for lunch at school if she dont know what to do with money why dont he make her work for it instead of being a push over. or you could do the same thing go blow his money and say we didnt really need it but its only money!!!if she cant stick to the budget for school pack lunch if she wants extra.
he aint going to grow a set of balls and stand up to her she will always walk all over her dad, no matter what she does. i have been a step mum now for 9year when i was making the rules as dad was always at work things went well, but since dad wants his say his son hasn't spoke to me for 5years and he lives with us every day of the week. daddy always has those little talks with him but its always ye what ever. the sun shines out there **** and they cant do no wrong... i hate to say it dont get any easier but he does his own washing now as i just totally refuse to do it.. all we want is a bit of respect...(please and thank you)

Agree. Set a timer on the hot water heater. Turn it off an hour before bedtime...conservation is so in right now. Shouldn't be hard to do this at all.

Shut the lunch account off, period. Set aside lunch foods in a special spot in the fridge and pantry. She will learn to grab them or lose some weight.

Set a timer on the TV as well. Codes for each person and alot them a certain amount of time per day. Parental controls should be on also. Lock out anything over PG rating. That way YOU have to enter a code to allow her to watch. Pretty sure this little gal isn't watching Disney.

Let daddy know that YOU are going to bed at ten thirty and if he isn't in there with you, the door will be locked and the couch is his.

Tough times call for tough measures. Dad needs to pick a wife. Whichever one he picks he needs to stick to. Kids are kids. They need boundaries and all the adults need to enforce those. If he can't, he needs to take her and go.

Oh, my SD is responsible for her own washing...I do NOT do her laundry! Both my kids started doing their laundry when they could understand the use of the washer and dryer, as I got tired of digging through nooks and crannies in their rooms trying to find all of their dirty clothes!

DH said he talked to my SD about the lunch thing, and surprisingly, I heard her in the kitchen getting a bowl of cereal before school today. Of course, the whole time, she was talking on her cell phone...really, before 7:00 a.m.?

SD was in bed before I even got home for some reason last night...DH said that "she was tired". Hmmm...wonder how late she has been staying up on Skype with her bad influence friends from her old school. I'm pretty certain she didn't delete the app as DH told her to do. I know she was still up when I left the gym...I could hear her in the background when I called DH to let him know I was on my way home, and I was sure to tell him, "Please tell her to not take a 'forever' shower! I'm tired, and I really would like for there to be some hot water left when I get home!"

I had to pick SD up on my way to the gym yesterday, and DH met me where I normally get my dinner on gym nights to get her from me, as our house is in the opposite direction of the gym, and I told him I was NOT driving back to the house and end up being late for my class! SD is HIS responsibility, and I shouldn't have to change around my schedule. It may seem selfish, but I made sacrifices for my kids for the last 22 years, and in the last 13 years that DH has been in the picture, he has made very few...like I said, most of the time wouldn't even swing by the school and pick them up if he was headed home before me! Anyway, while she was in the car, DH called her and I could tell was asking her if she was going to BM's this weekend. She said she didn't know, and that she hadn't talked to BM all week...I then heard her tell him, "I'm probably grounded for life over there anyway." You bet you are grounded for life! I still can't believe there isn't any punishment for the events that lead up to her moving in with us this time...the sneaking out, skipping school, smoking pot. DH said that there wouldn't be any punishment here because she hasn't done anything HERE to warrant punishment! Really? So, she gets to run away from BM's to avoid punishment? The more conversation I hear, the more I think that SD's step-dad finally had enough and gave my SD the boot...seriously. We stopped by there last Saturday to pick up a dress my SD left there and wanted for church on Sunday, and BM did not seem like this was all her idea.

I'm also wondering how much of "they won't buy me anything" was actually true. I mean, she apparently got accustomed to using makeup removal clothes instead of regular washcloths, and the makeup she has left laying around all over the place is not the cheap stuff. I know I haven't bought her any makeup (and DH hasn't either...that is definitely something that he would send me to do). So, either BM and/or step-dad WAS buying her things and she was lying to try to get more out of us, or she has a little sticky finger problem. Wouldn't surprise me, as I'm aware it can be quite an issue with teens these days. Either way, think I'm going to keep my eye on her at the store, because something isn't adding up.

So yeah...I'm really hoping that SD goes to BM's this weekend...a three-day weekend and I really would like some stress-free rest time.

Put a timer on your wireless too. Shut down at 9 pm so that shower can get done. And not back on till 8 the next day. As for the phone, if her dad had any parenting skills he would shut that service off from 9pm to 8 am also.
Does this guy actually do ANY parenting? Or just hugging and fawning? I hope daddy dearest is regularly drug testing the princess - or you may end up with a pot smoking kid or two of your own, as I am sure princess would love nothing more than to get your kids hooked on her foul stuff. My own SD attempted that here and my kids narc'd on her. The cops were called, her stash was found and off to mama's she was shipped. This was after she assualted one of my kids for getting her drugs taken away. She is in the care of the state now because mom couldn't control her (or her own drunk habit) either...

@headsaregonnaroll...her phone is already so locked down that she can't communicate with any friends...only immediate family. I'm not worried about her getting my son on the crap...they hardly see each other with his schedule...between football and his job, he is a very busy boy. Not to mention, football is his life, and they can do random drug testing in our state for high school sports...he doesn't want to screw up his college chances, as he has a couple of schools looking to recruit him as it is, which gives him a guaranteed chance at another 4 years of ball.

And the DRAMA continues, let me tell you! Yesterday, my SD lost her phone at school. She is claiming someone stole it, but I don't know. I can't tell you how many electronics this kid has been through...I've lost count on the phones, and I know there have been at least two laptops, two iPods, and a tablet computer that have been destroyed, lost, or broken in some way (the tablet is currently still functional, but had to have a corner taped up when she had it less than a month). With the phone, she doesn't notice that the phone is gone until we are nearly to the grocery store, and DH tells me to have her call him. DH insists that we go back to the school and look for it...yes, I blew up at him for that! So, we went back to the school, traced her steps...no phone. I really could care less if she ever gets a phone again! I would be perfectly happy with turning off her line and saying that is it! DH is going to give it a few days...let my SD go ask a few of the other girls in color guard if she saw anyone messing with her bag, and he is going to talk to the director...as SD is insisting it had to be stolen.

So, today's drama...today is the first that my SD has gone to BM's since everything went down. BM didn't want her to come last night, but instead asked if we could bring her this morning. Since DH and I had someplace to be down that way anyway, okay...we will bring her then...actually saved us a little gas that way. Well, my SD calls DH about 20 minutes ago saying that she wants to come home because her and BM were arguing...SD apparently needs some pictures of when she was a baby for a school project, and BM refuses to give her anything. So, off DH goes to bail my SD out again, because he says, "I don't want the whole weekend being them fighting." I'm pretty sure my SD was giving her mom a bunch of attitude about things...I've seen how she interacts with BM...but DH says it is his ex over-reacting. On the way out the door, he asks if we have any pictures. I tell him BM only ever provided us with one of anything when she got yearly portraits, and all of those are GLUED into OUR scrapbook...pointing out, "Do you really want your ONLY copies to go to some school project that you will never see again?" I told him that the only other pictures we have are digital, which is going to mean going out again this evening so that I can make sure they don't print out $50 worth of pictures (which we really can't afford right now), because SD will INSIST on "this one, and that one...oh and this one" and then only use like 5 of them in her project. It is sad that I have to go chaperon them at the store, because DH doesn't know how to say no, and my SD thinks we are made of money...seriously, I can't let them go alone, or she will start asking for nail polish, and this, and that, and he will buy her all of it without even thinking about the budget if I'm not there to give him "the look"!

I would have left her, too...told her that she made her bed, now lie in it! I'm pretty sure she was using the argument as an excuse, as earlier she was complaining that she was bored when she called to tell DH she needed colored paper for her project. Yeah she was bored...she's grounded for life at BM's after the whole skipping school, smoking pot, and posting pictures of herself smoking on Instagram thing!

dreams's picture

OMG!!! lady I can SO relate to you! four years ago me and my BF got s beautiful place together we were so happy!!!! until ... he told me that his daughter and BM are not getting along!
BM said: you don't like my rules (she was always grounded) get out and live with your daddy and his girlfriend

dreams's picture

oh I almost forgot about dinner!!! she makes a big plate sits at the table has 2 baby bites and looks funny chewing like its poison or whatever then she goes
Hmmmm daddy I'm not hungry !!!! I can't stand looking at this !!! so painful !
Also when he orders food to go , she will stare at the menu for good 20-30 mins trying to decide... when we get home she doest even eat it at all... then guess what ? it goes in the garbage !

Floridamom's picture

This is why I won't move in with my boyfriend of 3 years. She will be a Senior in High School. I may have to wait until she graduates from college? Dad spoils her but at least she is working now, part-time. I had to teach her father how to stand up to her. It wasn't pretty at first but when I spoke calmly to him and rationally, I pointed out how she manipulates him and toys with his guilt emotions. After a while, he too began to see how she manipulated him. But it will take you at least a couple of months of "taking two steps back." You need to "disengage" and allow her father to see what is happening. If the two of them see you barking and threatening and ranting and raving... then you will be the "bad one". Stop doing laundry. Stop cooking. Make spaghetti, hamburgs, hotdogs, and frozen mac and cheese. No more gourmet dinners! But be happy. Go work out. Watch movies in your room. Disengage happily and joyfully. Let the dishes pile up, the clothes pile up. Tell your husband to deal with it, cuz its his turn. Unless you don't work, then just take care of your household responsibilities. Let her bathroom stink up the whole house until your husband starts noticing. She doesn't care but she will care when she runs out of towels, clothes, toilet paper, clean dishes, clean glasses, etc. I have had to go on strike with my own child before and then they really find out how much you do for them out of love. Wink

Thanks, Floridamom!

As it is, the kids do their own laundry. My son has been doing his laundry since he was about 10, when I got totally tired of trying to fish dirty socks and everything out from under beds, behind dressers, etc. My SD has been doing her since about the same age. They both have their own hampers/baskets, and they know they are responsible for their own towels, too (as they both have their own bathrooms...my son's is off of his room).

When it comes to the meals, I would seriously love to cook easy foods, but being the health nut that I am (since losing about 85 lbs and getting rid of all kinds of health issues in the process), I have serious issues with crap food being in my house! As it is, I've been trying to get my husband healthier, especially since he has finally started to notice his poor choices have started having an effect on his health. He has a separated rib currently after coughing like crazy when he caught this virus a bit ago that is being very slow to heal, blood pressure has gone up, etc. I've cut his sugar in his tea, and I make clean, healthy meals at home. This is all more the reason SD will throw away half a plate of food...she can't stand healthy stuff! If all I made was spaghetti, mac and cheese, etc., she would be in HEAVEN! Only problem is that by doing that, I will be sacrificing my DH's health, which will only make matters worse. I'm not about to try to deal with an entitled brat while also trying to deal with a spouse with health issues!

DH has started to come around slightly, though...very slowly. He has started helping with the dinner dishes...wish he would make SD help with dishes rather than doing it himself, but that is less that I have to do. The child has NO chores, yet always wants to ask for this and that which are not things she NEEDS! This past weekend, before SD came home from her mom's (which was shocking she actually stayed for more than a couple of hours) I told my husband that there were a couple of things that needed to be cut. For example...on Sunday mornings, on the way to church, we stop for something to drink. We don't go to any of the fast food places, because I only drink tea or water, and their tea always tastes like it has been sitting too long. So, we stop at Starbucks. Both DH and I have reusable cups and get a green tea...both of our teas together costs like $4. SD thinks that she should be a frappachino EVERY time we stop at Starbucks, and not a small one, but a big one. DH usually lets her, even though I give him the look that she doesn't need it. If she wanted to get a tea like the rest of us, I wouldn't have an issue...$2 drink as opposed to a $5+ drink! I flat out told him this weekend that the fraps need to stop...that there is no reason for her to always have a drink that costs more than twice our two drinks combined! Our usual Sunday stop, and he made her get a tea this time. If we go out to eat, it is usually the same thing...she orders something and doesn't finish it...try to get her to order off of the kids menu or something (which I often do because I don't eat a whole lot in once sitting), and she makes a face at you. Well, that has started to stop too, as I've finally gotten DH to start putting his foot down and tell her she never eats more than half of anything she orders, so she can either share a regular size plate with me, or eat off of the kids menu! She doesn't like it, but I've been throwing away less food.

I'm just trying to tell myself baby steps!