You are here

Valuable lesson learned

Disillusioned's picture

I'm as disengaged as possible from DH's eldest daughter, but my relationship with YSD has been almost the exact opposite

Where DH's eldest is rude and disrespectful to me and loves to PAS SGS against me, YSD shows respec, is loving and affectionate and shows gratitude for the the things I've done for her over the years

I really wanted YSD to have a wonderful visit here over Christmas and went a little overboard.....only to end up confused and disappointed Sad

I realize none of it is anything YSD did wrong of course...just me not keeping my own expectations in check and getting some nice little reminders of the hurts us well-meaning step-parents often feel....all little things but nonetheless, disappointing

It started at Christmas brunch at FIL's. When DH and I asked YSD what time she would be coming to our place later in the week, she said to both of us that anytime was good, I figured okay mid-afternoon would be a good time as she and DH could visit while I prepared and served appetizers, etc...long before dinner. But the moment I left the room she tells DH she'll be over at 11:30 which they agree to without consulting me and thy expectation is that she would like to be taken out for lunch, etc... prior to dinner at our place

Of course I have no problem with this at all, but annoyed me that one thing was said in my presence, then a whole schedule agreed to by her and DH behind my back (and leaving no time at all to even buy the groceries needed for the dinner - shopped the day before in a rush instead) So no problem, we toured her all through the new area we live in and took her out to a really beautiful and expensive restaurant for lunch. When we came home mid-afternoon I left them to visit/catch-up and disappeared to the kitchen to make a few nice appetizers for them

The moment I leave the room I hear YSD talking about getting together for lunch, later in the week on a day that she knows I'm working and unavailable to join them. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just the two of them having a nice lunch together and I have zero issue with that. But I can't help the immediate feeling I got when it was something that YSD seemed to want to discuss with DH once again behind my back, and that obviously she did not want me to be a part of

Of course I kick myself at being so sensitive about it when there is nothing wrong with them getting together, and I reason that YSD certainly didn't just invite DH and DH out only, she did this on a day she knew I would be working anyway, and probably mentioned it when I left the room so she wouldn't hurt my feelings. I know this but still couldn't shake the sad feeling I get when I realize how important it is for her to be with her dad alone, SM-free....doesn't make you feel very wanted or welcome no matter how innocent it is from her

But my hurt and disappointment grew when later in the evening I presented YSD with the crystal candle-holders she knew was coming from me. They were something my sister had purchased in Europe and as YSD loves crystal I had told her some time ago I thought she would love them as they went well with the crystal glasses FIL had given her recently.

At the same time I was giving them to her I also had her old wind-chime from her bedroom from our old house that I thought she would like for her new house, as it is beautiful, and had been in her room for many years. When I presented her with the candle-holders I explained where they were from and that I was happy to pass them on to her, from her SM. Also gave her the wind-chime. YSD was happy to receive both gifts, and polite as always, commenting that they were cool. She gave me a hug and said thank you, then said to DH she was thanking/hugging him too but.....where I was concerned YSD just didn't really seem very....moved at all.

Again, nothing at all she did wrong. She accepted the gits politely it is again me I'm kicking....I was disappointed that she just didn't seem as moved by this gift as she would have been had it come from DH or her family for example

I really felt disappointment the following week when she opened her card and birthday present from DH and as well. It was a mutual effort to pick the beautiful card and gift. Her first comment was "Dad I love the card" nothing said to me. I had also written some very nice things to her she always has such sweet things written in her cards to me and I felt she deserved it. DH wrote his usual loving comments to her. She read what DH wrote, then read what I wrote (telling her what a wonderful SD she is) and her only comment was "thanks guys"

The gift she knew we both had looked hard to find and I had mentioned that her dad went to a great deal of trouble to get it in the exact colour she liked. YSD loved the gift and said so, and made a big deal about the colour being perfect. She gave me a hug and said thank you, gave DH a great big hug and told him she loves him so much

There were other little things but I have to say by the end of YSD's visit I felt let down. Not with her. She has grown to be a respectful, loving, affectionate and appreciative SD who has said many times to me over the years how much she loves and appreciates me. Many step-parents on this board I'm sure wish their adult skids had turned out so well. After all I've had to deal with from DH's elder daughter, I know I'm very fortunate YSD is as great as she is.

I was the problem in this situation. I built my hopes and expectations up too much....and when YSD was simply polite and kind to me I felt let down that she wasn't more moved, more emotional, more touched, more excited about spending time with me as she was with DH

This was a good reminder for me as a step-parent, that even when your skids are just great, never build up expectations like that and never go over-board...unless of course you are fine with feeling let down when you don't receive the responses you expected.

For this year one of my resolutions is to not do this again. I love YSD and want the best for her, but I will not set myself up to be hurt again. I will be as loving, affectionate and giving as she dictates by her behaviour...but I won't go to this extent again to try to please her nor will I expect the closeness I thought this might help accomplish

At the end of the day, I'm fortunate she is as wonderful as she is, and I just need to accept how our relationship is, not hope it would be anywhere near the relationship she has with DH

sixteensmom's picture

So sorry this happened. I completely understand. I was always expecting a 'thankyou and some gratitude' too. I went crazy making things perfect for skids , finding the right gifts, the perfect care packages, the most awesome thoughtful presents for every holiday and just out of the blue, just because baskets.

That was the first 8 years. The past 4 have been completely different. The last ONE ENITRELY TURNED AROUND.

I still have hurt feelings and they get to me, but I'm not doing any more chasing. DH is in charge of any gifting. I imaging most of the reason they're all out of our lives now is that he did a really bad job shopping last year and I stayed completely out of it. I don't EXPECT anything anymore.

I hope it's just a phase for your ysd and she doesn't turn into an ass like osd. maybe she's just got something else on her mind. From what you say I think he loves you. Sometimes kids hurt the one they love most becaue they know there's unconditional love coming back from you. I know it doesn't make it better.

sorry

sandye21's picture

Do not feel like you are the only one who has done this. I don't know if you had children before you met DH. I didn't, and I did the same thing as you. There were hopes and dreams for a special relationship with SD. I have to admit, my SD was NEVER nice or polite to me. Maybe that would have been harder if she was. Your own advice to pull back a bit sounds good. Does SD have a BM? If so, she might be feeling the tug of loyalty at this stage in her life which could be causing her to distance herself a bit from you.

Since she is not hostile to you, I would still be polite. Do you think you would be comfortable discussing this with DH? Maybe he can put some light on it.

onthefence2's picture

Being a female, with hormones, I can tell you that if the same thing had happened the day before or the day after, you probably wouldn't have noticed anything. I swear these things can drive us batty! I think you were just being hyper sensitive. Don't let it get to you, and just remember, we will never be disappointed if we have no expectations.

peacemaker's picture

Sometimes...we can unintentionally give other people ( not just skids), but definitely including skids...we can give them a position of having the power to validate us, or invalidate us...the problem with that is, the only person who should own that authority in our lives is God...He made you, and knows who He intended you to be...and when we give that position over to people that surround us (no matter who they are)...well...they are human, with faults and shortcomings of their own...The bigger problem with it is, we subject ourselves to something less than who God says we are...Our identity does not lie in other people's opinions of us...we must get our identity from Him and Him alone...When we put other people in that position, it puts pressure on them to be something they were not meant to be ...The author of our identity...

Comparing ourselves to ourDH's relationship w/ their children is never a good idea either because when you fall into the trap of comparing....there is always a winner and a loser...and being a stepmom. we all know who is going to end up at the bottom of that one...What helps me with the relationships I have (and don't have) w/my skids who are now adults is knowing that I have a relationship w/ each one of them and they are all different, because of our different personalities. and what we choose to put into the relationship...just like with my own bio kids...I love them all but they are all different relationships...In other words...don't give your skids that kind of power that gives them the opportunity to take away from how special you are and the ability to celebrate and enjoy your individualism...who you are as a person...it is what it is with step kids, and no one can control another person...they have lots of baggage that will probably take a lifetime to sort through...I don't condone rude behavior...but you are fortunate that you at least get a thank you for your effort...I have been a sm for 25 years and those are two word I have rarely heard...but now I understand... it is a reflection on them and what they are lacking...not me, and does not reflect who I am...

Disillusioned's picture

Thanks sixteensmom....I hope it gets better for you. Stick with the disengagement - it works!

Disillusioned's picture

Thanks sandye21 and no, no children. All in all, I can`t complain. YSD is pretty easy to get along with and we really don`t have any issues at all. I`m fortunate as I know many out there have it so much worse (look at my DH`s eldest for example }:) }:) }:) )

Pilgrim Soul's picture

I have to tell you, reading your post i was thinking of a close GF of mine who has had a very strained relationship with her SIL for years. No step-family in the picture, her brother has been married to this woman for close to 30 years, and the SILs just do not like each other, it seems like. My GF is always upset around holidays bc she gives nice thoughtful gifts that she picks with care and spends money on - for her brother, his wife, and their two grown kids. The brother does not shop for the sister himjself, his wife does, and she gets cheap crap or regifts some ridiculous items that you would be ashamed to be seen returning to a 99 cent store. Both my GF and her SIL are doctors, so money is not an issue. What is my GF to do? Speak up? Keep smiling? There is no open hostility between them, just a ton of passive aggression, esp. when the time comes to give or receive gifts.

I think she is lucky to be able to see the humor in things, and her whole clinic can't wait to hear what the latest piece of sh*t was that my GF got from her brother's family for Xmas this year. When she gives her expensive gifts to them, they express their gratitude in a very matter of fact way. Oh well. You can't win them all. Some would say that a bad peace is better than a good fight.

Disillusioned's picture

I deal with it by not buying any gifts or anything for my husband's sister any longer Pilgrim Soul....DH and I came to a resolution a few years back where everything for my family is purchased by me but presented from us, and the same with DH's family - he buys all gifts and we both sign the cards

We decided this after I spent far too many years wasting my time, energy and finances on buying beautiful thoughtful gifts for DH's sister, only for her her treat me like total crap. I wasn't doing that in expectation of anything, but I also didn't expect her to treat me so badly either...including her game in recent years of adding SSIL to her list of people she goes out of her way for, highlighting what she doesn't do for me }:)

Now, she can treat me any old way she likes and I don't spend a second worrying about doing a single thing for her Biggrin

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Good for you! Great approach! Gives you peace of mind. You can't win them all.

I remember when my SS20 went to Asia during his winter break, using the money DH's late parents left him,
he brought the four of us in my house a gift. Guess what it was. A box with 20 tea bags. One box with 20 tea bags in it, about 5 per person? Unless someone does not like tea, then 6? Asian tea is great, i get it. But if i were him i would rather just skip the gift-giving altogether.

sandye21's picture

A box of tea bags between 5 people. Sounds pretty chintzy. But I know the feeling. SD and her husband used to travel a lot while we sat their dogs who ate my shoes and crapped all over the place, I cleaned it up. They didn't bring us anything. Glad that's not happening anymore but I DID like the dogs.