You are here

Update on the Christmas fiasco

CandyLou's picture

Hello everyone - firstly I would like to let you know how much all your previous posts meant to me. I felt so alone with what I was going through, and to read all your replies made me feel like I was no longer on my own dealing with this. I felt very moved that you would take the time to respond with such in-depth responses so from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
I just wanted to give you an update and ask a few questions if that's okay.
For those of you who read my first post, you will recall that my BF left me alone for 4 days at Christmas to be with his adult kids. They didn't want me around and he agreed. I have been in a lot of pain over this incident. As well they meet once a week for dinner and I am never invited.
My BF reassures me the Christmas incident will never happen again, he feels terrible and he will do anything to make it up to me. He has been sucking up to me ever since lol.
So, my BF had his birthday a few weeks ago (on a Sunday). Prior to the event he asked his kids if they wanted to do something and they said yes. A few days before the event they both cancelled saying they were busy and they would prefer to meet at their usual weekly dinner (in which my BF pays and drives 2 hours return to see them).
So my kids, BF and I spent his birthday together and it was really nice and he then saw his kids the following Wednesday.
I have been seeing a counsellor and she said the most we can really hope for in this situation is for my BF to continue to extend invitations and that's it. She said we can never expect that they will actually say yes and if we do, we are just setting ourselves up and that gives his kids all the power.
I think this makes sense. So I spoke to my BF and said so long as he was making an effort to try and have some get togethers I would be happy with that. So on that Wednesday after his birthday he said to his kids, "I missed you on my birthday. I would like for us all to get together soon" and they said okay. A bit lame but he felt that was a good effort lol.
So one of my questions is: does my BF keep inviting them to do things or do we just give up? He said he will keep trying if I want him to, but he also feels bad when he asks them to do things, they continually say no and then he has to come home and tell me. It's been 6 months since I saw them yet my BF sees them every week.
From a lot of the posts I have read there is a lot of reference to disengaging. So my next question, is how do I actually do that? I mean on an emotional level and physical. Do we just stop asking them to do things, or do we keep trying? And emotionally, what do you do with the feelings of hurt and exclusion? Does it get better?
I would love to hear from those of you further along on this journey that have disengaged and what it actually feels like. Is it really possible to have a good relationship with my BF when I have nothing to do with his adult kids?

I have really appreciated all your support and I thank you so much for all that you have written.
CandyLou

godess-clueless's picture

candylou---You have let him know how you feel about not being invited to join him and that is all you can do. There is nothing wrong with him wanting to spend some time alone with the kids. He needs to find a way to balance it out where you are not totally excluded all the time. My own experience with disengaging still leaves me feeling very hurt at times. DH AND I both had adult kids when we met. I stepped into marriage thinking we could be one happy ,close, family. Was I ever wrong. Even with adult sk's there are the same problems as with young one'. IN MY CASE THEIR TIES ARE WITH MOM. Refusing to come around creates the situation of dad going to them. We did have a few yrs. of them coming around in the beginning. They needed money and dad had married someone who had money. They needed someone to take in their children when childrens service took them away and dad had a wife willing to take them. They liked that their children were having the new experiences of going on trips,christmas parties,halloween parties, getting presents , and being babysat at grandpas house now that he had a wife to do it. My intention was to prove that not all women " hate the sk's and mistreat them just to get them out of the way." My mistake , because as Ifound out dad gets all the credit for having found a new wife to do these things for them. When I stopped doing these extras[We never had any arguments, just stopped planning these events and handing out money} they quit coming around. DH goes to see them.We have been married 12 yrs. and the last 5 has been dh visiting them with mom always seeming to be in the picture. I think had I known this would be the outcome Iwould have preferred never meeting them to begin with. Iwas new to this SKID thing. They were old pros at it, having created major problems with the dh 2 previous wives. My dh could have put a stop to the situation but he was not willing to risk what little relationship he had with them. At this point it hurts to think I spend the holiday alone but it is only once a yr. and it would hurt more to have these people that have become strangers[Iwould not recognize them if Ipassed them in the store} putting on a phony act in front of me. Disengaging hurts but it is the lesser hurt when you realize that it frees up more time to cultivate the relationships that do matter. These kids have a grandmother so Ispend my time and energy on my own. Since Inever so much as received a card, present, thankyou, or the offer of a glass of water from them I do not feel Iam missing out on much.

CandyLou's picture

Hello stepaside thank you SO much for your post I'm on my iPhone so can't respond fully but I cried when I read your post as you hit on so many core issues for me I will write more when I'm back at my computer but in the meantime a big hug for what you wrote talk soon

CandyLou's picture

Hi SA, I'm back now. Your post was fantastic! What I really loved about it was that you offered me a totally different perspective on the situation that can really help me both disengage AND not take this personally. I loved the part about a stepmother's relationship with her skids will mirror the relationship between the father and the kids. Wow!! Taking that one step further, I really believe the BM has a big role in this because she has always resented me because my BF being with me meant their relationship could never reconcile. She didn't like that. My BF's kids have said she is in a relationship with a loser, they said "they aren't like you two dad" so they actually complimented our relationship early on but then obviously became threatened by it. You asked me a good question about the money, does it bother me? What bothers me is how one sided the relationship is. The kids both have good jobs, one is a teacher and the other is in the medical field. They have dinner each week near SD's house, so to me I'm thinking why can't she cook him a meal since he drives so far to see them? I live in Australia so no Olive Garden LOL (but I miss it!!) as I am from Canada, but the kids choose where to go each week and it's usually an Italian restaurant! lol So I laughed when you mentioned Olive Garden. And you were right on the cost too!
But! We do not have combined finances. I had such issues with my ex around money, and my BF and I both earn good money and we keep things separate. He pays the mortgage, I pay some house bills and we share in everything else. He is very generous with his money with my kids and I and he takes me out a lot and pays for it. So the once a week dinner doesn't really bother me. My BF said I am very welcome to come up once in a while to these dinners but I don't really want to drive 2 hours to see them after all the effort I have put in and nothing in return. They haven't been to our house since Christmas 09.
On these dinner nights, I go to Yoga with my daughter and then we have dinner at home and that is really nice time for us so I am happy with the arrangement. What made it come to a head was this Christmas incident.
So back to your post SA, I loved your analogy of the vicious fighting dogs, so true! What is sad is that if skids could be more understanding, they could actually get some empathy from us. But they never give us a chance because they hide behind their anger and resentment.
A couple of things I am taking away from your post: you really allowed me to see this issue is about BF and his kids, not me. The way you wrote it really helped me see things differently. Also, I had an epiphany that if I disengage, then it forces BF to really face what is going on. He may or may not do this, but as strange as it sounds (opinions please) I actually think in the long run it might have been good for BF to go away for Christmas. He said as he sat there at the Christmas table with his family and kids, all he could think about was me home alone and he said it was really hard. It was like he had to experience this "fantasy" to realize it wasn't real. If he hadn't gone there, he may have always had this "yearning" for the family Christmas that can never be in the same way anymore. Am I nuts? lol
Also what I really loved about your post is you saying his kids are threatened by ME! Wow!! And it makes perfect sense! So the thought of having me around reminds them of the stuff they have never dealt with probably even while their parents were married. This is so not about me, you are right!!

So..thanks again SA. You have such wisdom when you write. I know it isn't always easy for you in your situation and I really appreciate you sharing what you have been through to help others get through their difficult times.

You really are a gem!

Take care
CandyLou

CandyLou's picture

Hi godess thank you so much for writing so quickly! My heart was breaking reading what you have been through. Have you not seen your skids for 5 years? And what happens at Christmas that you are alone? It sounds so painful yet as you say it's the lesser of two evils. I'm sorry that you put in all this effort only to end up like this do you and DH ever argue about it or have you come to accept the situation? I know I wouldn't put up with being alone again at Christmas is this your choice to be alone or do his kids not want you there? Thanks for what you wrote one thing that stood out was you saying it would have been easier not to have met them one more question are you and DH happy?
Thanks again much appreciated

godess-clueless's picture

Fantastic posts stepaside and snickersgal. I had no experience dealing with step anything so Iwas quite the novice. Inever for saw a problem with adult stepdaughters. Their dad had over 30 yrs. since divorcing their mom,and 2 other wives after that so like Isaid they were the pros. If I had better judgement at the time, Iwould not have stood up for or defended my dh when his daughters would badmouth him. Ihave yet to see the day he has ever defended me. I would not have bought, paid for,and sent gifts to his children and grandkids. In their minds it only came from him. His relationship with my boys has been one where they will come and help us to work on the home anytime asked.If he finds a tool he thinks would be handy for them then he just buys it and gives it to them. He does not feel the need to tell me. ITis a guy thing. But why is it as a female we feel the need to make sure dad takes it over, has his name signed on the card, and gets the pat on the back when we are dealing with his kids????

Rags's picture

Sure, you might as well have BF invite them. At least that way you have a response for the inevitable complaints that their dad has abandoned them for you and your kids.

Good luck.

purpledaisies's picture

Cindylou the thing is that if your bf continues to meet them once a week they have NO reason to met you or come to any event that you are at. Does that make sense? I mean they know they will get to see their dad on his dime and his time every week so what is the point in making any kind of effort like normal people?

I would have a hart to hart with him about this b/c he is allowing his ADULT children to9 walk all over him and you. Really sad.

CandyLou's picture

Thanks purple. I thought about that and it was interesting I actually felt sad for my BF, because you are right, if he didn't make the effort I doubt they would ever see their dad. So he tries so hard because he probably knows this deep down. Which further confirms SA's point that this is not about me, but the relationship between them. My BF really does love seeing his kids so I don't want to take that weekly visit away from him. I understand that means his kids won't make an effort but I know 100% he would never give that weekly visit up. He has been doing it now for 8 years and they all view it as precious time together, 2 hours together where they just catch up on their week. My only option is to sometimes join them and I went up there twice and felt so uncomfortable, like I was invading their space.
I have had many discussions with him about this but he keeps saying he doesn't mind, he loves seeing them and he will continue to try and get us all together.
Time will tell I suppose but it's good to hear from these posts that it is possible to have a relationship with someone when you have nothing to do with their kids. Such a foreign concept to me, to not have a relationship with them when they are such a big part of their life and he is so involved with my kids.
But letting go is what I must do....
Thanks again purple
CandyLou

purpledaisies's picture

Candy my advice is to go EVERY week til you and they are comfortable. End of story. I know that you may want to disengage but if this is that much of an issue you should go with a smile on you face and make for damn sure they know you are his GF!!! I would just keep going and going and going. But I'm just like that. I would make my presence known very much so! }:)

Eventually they will start to complain to daddy and I bet it won't last too long before they will tell daddy that either he come alone or not at all. These brats need to know that they can't just do that crap. Plus daddy will see they have no intentions of being nice or making any sort of effort.

Tx mommy of 3's picture

My question is why would you want to be a part of people's lives who could be so cold. You are fine with the weekly dinners and it's good for them to spend time alone with their dad. However he needs to put his foot down (like he did on his bday) and spend holidays and special occassion with you. Let himbinvite his kids and if they don't show, oh well. After not seeing dad for a few holidays, maybe they'll get the hint. An if not, oh well. The thing is- THEY ARE ADULTS!!! You came into this when they were adults. They have already been raised and don't need another mom. Let them cut their dad out if they want, but you shouldn't let them control your feelings. Don't let them hurt you. They don't want to come over? Yea! You don't have to clean, cook, etc. Did you marry him for him or his kids? Most of us on here marry the man for him and 'put up' with the kids. You have it good because you get your man an don't have todeal with his kids!

And from experience it is hard to change people's thoughts when they are already older. My mil started dating her current husband about 4 years ago. At that point, my dh was late twenties, sil was early twenties. Mil's younger kids were elementary and middle school age. He younger ones were more receptive and have a closer relationship with him. Dh and sil honestly had no care about it either way. (oh, and their parents had been divorced at this point for 14years) So it wasn't really about loyalty towards dad for them. Just like, that's mom's bf. They are married now and dh doesn't consider him his stepdad because he wasn't a 'dad' to him. He just calls him his mom's husband, lol. We visit mil so thy are nice to him when he is around, but they make no effort to grow that relationship. His kids are the same way. They visit and engage with mil when they visit, but that's it. They don't visit much as they also live an hour away. Mil is fine with that. She doesn't need to be a part of their lives because she marrie her husband, not his kids.

I don't know if I'm making sense at all, but my point in a way is who cares about them? They don't have to have a relationship with you an vice versa. Who wants thatdrama anyway? Your dh sounds like he prefers to spend time with you anyway. I mean there are reasons he married you, right? I think he learned his lesson at Christmas and you prob won't have those problems anymore. I for one would love to never see my ss again, but that's me!

wicked's picture

I agree with purpledaisies - you should go. Maybe not every week, but maybe once a month or so, at least at first. You have been with BF a long time and they NEED to get to know you. Of course it will be awkward for a while, but keep at it. And you will get to spend time with BF on the way there and back. I mean, really, if you have such a strong desire to be part of the family, you should do it.

My mom remarried when I was around 25, and it was hard for me to accept a stepdad even though my own dad and I weren't terribly close. I resented that my stepdad came to everything with my mom and we didn't have any alone time with my mom any more. But in retrospect I think it was the best way to handle it because we needed to get used to seeing them as a couple, whether we liked it or not. And in time, we learned to appreciate what he contributed to our lives, and he backed off more and we had more alone time with our mom. It was never the same as before, but it wasn't worse, just different.

So I think your BF's kids need to see you two together as a couple whether they like it or not. Go with low expectations so that you don't set yourself up for a big disappointment. In their defense, it is a lot easier for him to go to them than for all of them to come to him - although a couple times a year shouldn't be asking too much. But go with an open mind and try to do more listening than talking the first few times. Show them you are interested in them and they should open up to you in time. It will be awkward for a while, but then hopefully it will settle into something at least civil. But what they are doing now is avoiding reality, and that's not healthy.

CandyLou's picture

I like all your responses, thank you so much. For now I think I will stay home and not go to these weekly dinners. I have my own kids (15 & 13) and I spend this night with them. Not to mention my BF's daughter ask that I not come along and to me, what is the point of being somewhere you are not wanted? This does nothing for my self esteem so I would prefer not to go to their turf.
Maybe in time (after I am over the Christmas thing) I will feel comfortable to go along.
I am expecting his daughter to get engaged soon and she will no doubt be wanting money for this. My BF already said he would put his foot down if I'm not invited.

I am really grateful for all your responses. Already today I have noticed a shift in the way I feel so thank you everyone!!

CandyLou's picture

I agree with you SA. The last time I went along was last September and it felt uncomfortable to be in their turf. last year I saw his kids maybe 3 times, we went to SD's house for my BF's birthday, then two other times I went up there. They haven't been to our house or made an effort to do something with us since Christmas 09 and that's part of the reason I want to disengage, it's not worth it. My main issue was about how to actually disengage, stop trying so much, and you have really helped me with that. I think you speak from a lot of experience SA so thank you.

Purple, you made a point about going every week so they realise I am his GF. I think they do know this and what hurts them is they used to have their dad full time (the son still lives with his mom) and now their time has been reduced to once a week. They see it that I get him most of the time and I dont' want to interfere with their time together. Not to mention it's a 2 hour drive there and back and I would rather be with my kids. So long as it doesn't end up hurting me on holidays, etc.

I also think you are right SA that we often send the wrong message by trying too hard and it isn't worth it. There are so many other things to put energy into. I think like you mentioned I was feeling shame to admit that I don't have much of a relationship with my BF's kids but realising it isn't about me was helpful.

The other thing I became aware of is I just wish we could hurry up and have another Christmas so I can get over that fear of what the next one will be like. I really do believe my BF wouldn't do that to me again, but still it would be good to experience it and know that he is committed to making me a priority in his life. I guess he proved that already when we went ahead with his birthday without his kids.

Thanks everyone!!