You are here

I'm the bad guy now

Newimprvmodel's picture

I disavowed my dh's two daughters after we got a court motion in our mailbox on our wedding day. It tainted our honeymoon and dh never addressed it. Ever. I was vilified by his ex and daughters. Smeared in court motion papers. Two years later one daughter that dh had consigned a small college loan took back her first payment, refused to speak with dh as collectors chased him. Fast forward now dh in constant contact both girls. They live a distance thank god. To say that I had never encountered such hate and the plot to ruin our wedding day....
As our wedding anniversary approaches, every year I feel the memories of the shock and hurt. Dh makes me the bad guy now. He refuses to see

ESMOD's picture

I am a bit confused.. the kids filed a court motion? If it was the EX...why hate the kids for what their mom did at that point. I get things may have happened later... but at that point in time, disavowing his kids if their mom filed something?

Newimprvmodel's picture

They were college aged and made wild accusations about me to their mother that I verbally damaged them, which was in court motion.

ESMOD's picture

why would there have been a court motion for college aged kids? wouldn't the CO have been set at that point? It's not like they would be residing with you.. who would care if you hurt their fee fees.

Newimprvmodel's picture

Look I am NOT stopping him in any way, but he is insisting I engage with them. I am getting comments that I am not thinking of him, get over myself, etc.

Newimprvmodel's picture

What has blown my mind is that dh is meeting them for a weekend in a major city in oct. I told him NO. I am
Not going. THE MAN BOUGHT ME A TICKET. PLANE TICKET.
I am shocked. He is saying I hurting him. I feel like this is over top
Disrespect to me.

twoviewpoints's picture

He cant make you board the plane.

Book yourself a fun relaxed weekend somewhere you'd like to go. He can go himself to see his kids and you can relax and have a 'me' weekend.

You are under no obligation to spend time with his children. I'm sorry your DH is pulling the 'this is your fault, you're not trying hard enough' stunt or whatever tactic he is using, but he'll just have to get over his hurt. You're not stopping him from going, you just aren't going with.

Newimprvmodel's picture

I told him I was planning a me weekend when he told me that I was not. HE HAD BOUGHT ME A TICKET!
Telling me to get over it. It was years ago.
And that I would go because it means the world to him.

Newimprvmodel's picture

Oh he ran it by me after he already planned it with his daughters. I told him no! And he buys me a ticket anyway.
Says that my anger is consuming me, why are you so upset?
I told him today that he needs to let this drop. I never discuss them.
He wants me to move on. Let bygones be bygone. I told him I don't think I could lay eyes on them without exploding.
It was a very painful time. The court involvement. The lies.
He just doesn't accept that they are strangers to me, that I hit the delete button.
I get they are his kids. I get that he took shit from their mother for years. I see the pattern. He can embrace them but I can't.
I told him he needs to accept what I told him on our honeymoon. No more. Ever.

ETexasMom's picture

Do you still have a copy of the court order? If so make a few copies and overtime he tells you to get over it hand him a copy. Tell him you are over however you will not put yourself in a situation again where you can be lied about and brought into court.

sammigirl's picture

THIS!!!!!

My SD56 sent me a two page hate email; I have copied it several times and handed it to DH. He has not asked me to join in any of her family gatherings for 3 years now. He finally got the point.

At the time, I ask DH to invite SD to our home and we could all sit down and talk this thru; I ask DH and SD to apologize for the email and betrayal prior to the email, by DH. Not one time in almost 4 years has one word of apology been uttered; I have moved on, their loss. Too late now for amends.

COPY...COPY...COPY
PRESENT....PRESENT....PRESENT
Write "Happy Anniversary" on the outside of the envelope you place it in, before handing it to him.

No other conversation is needed when you hand him the copy.

jpl93's picture

My DH has always been like this about his kids--I think he feels like he didn't get to raise them, so now that they are adults, it doesn't matter what they do. One of his kids decided he hated me, called me a "slut whore who should just die", and he did nothing. I told him that I would not be cruel to this adult child, but nor would he be allowed in my home until a formal, sincere apology was offered. Of course, one never was offered, nor did DH push it. While he kept trying to get me to let his sone back in the house on visits, I held my ground. I took it to our therapist, and she actually agreed, and got him to talk it out a little. He still doesn't like it, but he now only sees his son when I'm not around, and he doesn't come into my house. MY DH still thinks I'm being "silly" and I should be the adult here, but at least it hasn't continued to be an argument. Hopefully you'll get there?

I offer you my sympathy--definitely been there.

sandye21's picture

^^^THIS!!!^^^ He IS trampling all over your boundaries - and rights as a human being.

SacrificialLamb's picture

Tell him while you support his relationship with his children, you are not a doormat to be walked all over. He can make you the bad guy all he wants, but they did not sincerely apologize nor did your DH address the issue. Since you are aware that your DH does not have your back as his wife, you are not traveling with him just so he has a travel companion. Otherwise, you are just signing up for more of the same.

notasm3's picture

Your DH is such a jerk - but there's nothing new in that.

Just look him in the eye and tell him that you will NOT FILTER ONE WORD that you say to those two bitches - so does he REALLY want you to be there.

That's basically what I told my DH. I said I would hold nothing back if I had to be around SS32 and his GF (the ones who camped out in our home, ransacked our belongings, etc.). I just told him to KEEP THEM AWAY FROM ME. Or nothing was off limits in what I would say to them.

I have not screamed to the world (except here) about what an utter POS SS is. I am trying not to humiliate my DH. But that would be off the table if SS were allowed near me.

Newimprvmodel's picture

Exactly!!! I told him that he owns these people. I tried and got kicked in the face.
I told him they trashed our wedding day and honeymoon and he didn't say shit to them. Now I am to let it go? Because he is taking it just like he has for years from them. He tells me I am poisoning our marriage! WTF. I did start yelling at him that he should have stood up like a husband and defended our marriage.
Warned him that if I was forced to be around them likely I would blow like a volcano and say what I
Never got to say to them.
I truly believe that some so called steps should never be forced into ANY relationship.
thanks for listening. Dh usually spouts his goobly gook about let's love everyone. Yuck!

SugarSpice's picture

its very easy to blame step mom for all the problems in the marriage. daddeeee is so blind to the toxic children he helped spawn.

being a gutless coward seems to come with the territory in remarried men. they get intimidated with fear tactics from both skids and bm.

i can honestly say i have no more respect for my dh. none.

the comment about "lets love everyone" is the response of a coward.

"the comment about "lets love everyone" is the response of a coward."

Yes, it is, because you know he's not telling his children the same thing for fear of upsetting them.

CANYOUHELP's picture

It is very simple, tell him you are not going and do not get on the plane. Tell him you do not want to be with his rude, entitled kids. Do what YOU want for YOU. You do not live for him or the abuse he has allowed from his kids. Stay away from it at all costs... You are better off alone than being abused in the name of "love" or "it means the world to me" either one.

Aunt Agatha's picture

Hugs to you!

What an awful pain your husband is being!

I would be tempted to book myself into a nice hotel in their city, complete with a spa package, and treat it as a vacation, refusing to see his kids because I had so much to do. But then again, my SO would never make me visit with people so horrific.

SugarSpice's picture

wedding anniversaries can be miserable with skids. on our twentieth anniversaty which should have been a milestone, dh bought me less than 200 dollars in trinket while given sd five hundred dollars so she could buy sports equipment. i guess he wanted the ski instructor to take an interest in his daughter. she comes across as very needy and cant seem to hang on to a man beyond a few dates.

needless to say i was very angry and spoke my mind. how dare this man go cheap on me on a milestone anniversary.

all of the skids btw have said they want dh and i to get a divorce. no doubt so daddeeee can spend the money on them.

i never ends. one of the skids talks to dh by phone at least two times a day and they all constantly text him about the most mundane things. they are all adults.

sammigirl's picture

For our 30th wedding anniversary, DH had SD56 buy a piece of jewelry for me (necklace); SD purposely left the price tag on the bottom of the box; $29.95. I said nothing, until the blow up came and I disengaged from SD.

I then went to the drawer and pulled out the box, showed DH the price tag, and handed it to DH and said "DO NOT EVER have SD buy me another gift; if you are unable to go shopping for me (DH is disabled), I do not want a gift, just give me a hug." DH has NEVER had SD buy another gift for me.

I prefer a "hug" to her even touching anything that is my personal property. I'm sure DH had this conversation with SD; at least I'm hoping he did. They share all info! I wasn't born yesterday; I know my SD is a product of my DH and they are pathetic, when it comes to Father/daughter head games. I don't play their games, I kill them with disengagement!

still learning's picture

What's your DH thinking trying to force you and his daughters on each other :? They made their feeling known. He's not only disrespecting you but them also. It sounds like he doesn't want to be alone w/them and deal w/them on his own. If he's used you as a buffer, the person he's *protecting* his daughters from and bonding with them over how evil you are then how ever will he relate to them w/out you there?

ss32 and DH got real close after we married because I allegedly *hated* his son and *stole* ss's father away. I finally took myself out of their dynamic and now that they don't have me to bond over they have very little contact. It's like they don't know how to relate unless DH is doling out money or a common enemy (evil SM) is involved.

Livingoutloud's picture

It's not the similarities as much as one is posting answering questions for the other one but under different name.

steppingback's picture

This is exactly where I am. And the therapist Dh selected agreed with my position.
You make me talk to them, lord's knows what I will say.
Just let us coexist separately and learn to deal with that since your actions dh created this mess.

No Name's picture

You could always go on the plane and go off and have fun by yourself while he spends time with his kids. Look to see what the place you are visiting has to offer. Shopping, a spa day, etc. Treat yourself. Let him spend the days with his kids and have dinner and spend the night with you. That would be a win-win. You are his wife and if he loves you why would he want to torture you by spending time with his kids who would make you feel uncomfortable?
Don't let that plane ticket go to waste. Go off and have your own adventure!

MadHatter's picture

Have you had any interaction with these steps since your wedding day? If not, why would you start? Why would he even think you would want to? You don't fly half way across the country to meet strangers that have no interest in knowing you.

jam's picture

"Telling me to get over it. It was years ago."

Your dh acts like nothing ever even happened. Why is it that a stepmom is supposed to PROVE she forgives the skids?

I have been told myself to be the bigger person, get over it, water off a ducks back, etc

What I have found is everyone acts like nothing happened but you will find yourself in the wash, rinse, and REPEAT cycle of step-hell.

The skids need to PROVE they are sorry, not YOU prove you forgive them!

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Oh, pick me!! I know the answer!!!

Don't you know that it's because these poor little dears are Children of Divorce?! They are HURTING. They are WOUNDED. They are SCARRED FOR LIFE. Naturally, as the evil stepparent, it is OUR responsibility to sugarcoat life for these terribly damaged little darlings, wrap them in soft blankies, and cover them with fairy dust and angel kisses.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Even though sometimes the SM also is a child of divorce! Where the hell is my fairy dust?

I will take angel kisses but get to pick who the angel is.

But I should just suck it up buttercup, because I am the Family Intruder and my poor middle aged SDs have not adjusted, 19 years later. WAAHHHHHHHHH

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Lambie, I'd gladly give you some lovely fairy dust, but I've been out for over a year. Those freakin' fairies are STILL on strike. xoxo