You are here

Mediation got me thinking ..

SMof2Girls's picture

DH and BM finalized their mediation and actually signed an agreement today. It basically gives DH everything he wanted (which is a better schedule, not more days).

However, we were expecting child support to drop. Mostly because BM makes a lot more money, but also because the old calc used an incorrect day count.

But it's literally the exact same .. which is baffling. Something about the way the court calculates the days and ignores holiday weekends and breaks (because they change or are split); even though most of those days fall to DH in the agreement. Doesn't seem right ..

It could be worse, and I'm thankful at least that they now have an agreement that will hopefully result in a lot less drama and stress.

However, it got me thinking. We are planning to start trying for kids of our own. If BM relocates in a few years (takes orders somewhere further away) and skids end up with her .. I don't know if we'll be able to afford a jacked up child support payment.

How do you all deal with this? Knowing it might happen? We don't want to put our dreams on hold for a "what if" that may happen down the road, but how do you overcome the "what if" worry?

QueenBeau's picture

Agreed. If we have a child DH gets a 25 dollar 'credit' per month on the worksheet. So his CS would go down roughly 25 bucks from what it is now, per child.

DH has SD like 35% of the year anyway though, so he doesn't pay too much.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

My step kids lived and (still live with me) 100% of the time. Paying child support would have been wwaaayyyyyyy cheaper than having them live with us full time with no support...not that it matters at this point. It was no different from me having 3 bios in the home.