You are here

Is BM justified in flipping out?

theoutsider's picture

Here is the deal.

My boyfriend has physical custody of the kids, BM with EOWE visitation.
BM wanted in the CO that A LEGAL GUARDIAN(her or my boyfriend) to be at all doctor's appointments for the kids. My boyfriend made her put in that in some cases the child's best interest should be to see the doctor whether or not a LEGAL GUARDIAN is able to be there when the doctor sees the child.
BM does NOT carry insurance for the kids and does NOT pay ANY medical bills for the any of the kids.

So fast forward, the oldest comes home yesterday(Wednesday) night with a paper saying that basketball practice starts tonight( Thursday).
The 12 year old has not yet had the sports physical she needs to attend practice. (It is scheduled for a couple weeks from now.)
The school suggested to go to a walk in clinic here locally that it can be done quickly and the girl can attend practice asap.

My boyfriend made the appointment for tomorrow during school. He can not take off work, so he asked me if I could use my lunch hour to take her. Then told BM the time and place of the appointment and offered to her if she would like to take her daughter to the appointment. Then BM flipped out.

BM is flipping shit because
1. the physical is not taking place at the children's pediatricians office,
2. their dad should have known this physical needed to be done and should have done it a long time ago AT THEIR PEDIATRICIANS office and
3. She is of course rightly assuming that my boyfriend is not taking off work to take the kid to the appointment and it will be me taking her daughter to the sports physical and she HATES ME WITH THE FIRE OF A THOUSAND SUNS!

My boyfriend emailed her saying basically that this is a needed sports physical-no medical decisions are going to be made. He made the appointment during his time and is making sure that the girl gets to the appointment. He offered BM to take her to the appointment. And although this is not her primary pediatrician, the girl has seen the walk-in clinic doctor there and the doctor is affiliated with the same hospital that her pediatrician is affiliated with so medical files are shared within the hospital network.

And BM is still flipping out.

She was offered to take the kid and declined-for whatever reason- but she is insisting that the kid not get the sports physical at the walk in clinic and wait, (MISSING 3 WEEKS OF PRACTICES) so she can get the sports physical done by her primary pediatrician.

Those of you with kids how do you feel about this situation? On such late notice, is it ok to see a doctor that is not the primary for something such as a sports physical?

Igiveupsotornupinside's picture

^^^^^Exactly!^^^^ If she only has the child every other weekend, then boyfriend has child primary. He needs to ignore her, he is acting in best interest of his child and the sport she wants to play (trust me sports are perfect to get the kids involved in). He needs to ignore her and you take her, its just a physical.

Sounds like BM just likes to cause drama and wants to be in control. She is a part time mom and needs to stop.

sbm014's picture

I would say that she has the right to be upset - only because she feels stupid she didn't get it done when it needed to done.

Though in no way do I see y'all as being in the wrong. There is no reason to hinder the kid just because BM failed to get something done, when there is a perfectly good person in the same trusted network to see the child. I feel like he did the right thing and offered and her declining means that you have the right to take her - I know BM would not agree with what I am saying but in this circumstance it is not like you are taking SD to go get Birth Control or anything you are going to get her looked at with no further decisions...so BM can get over herself and not hinder her child.

Anon2009's picture

Usually I'd disagree with this but this could have a big impact on sd. I think you should take her, and bm should take herself to a counselor. I'm sure it's got to be hard to see another woman doing these things with your kid but the kid shouldn't be jeopardized.

twoviewpoints's picture

Wow, BM does like to work herself into a tizzy (shrugs)

Both parents blew it on the timing of the physical. Most school districts let parents know a sports physical is due on or before the first day of practice. Sports physicals are a dime a dozen at numerous outlets all summer long. These physicals are not considered in-depth physicals and children's non-regular peds (for younger kids) routinely do them.

BM is over-reacting about 'who' must perform this physical. Fact is , there is no reason for BM had to keep the regular yearly physical with the child's dr that is also scheduled. Have your BF assure BM that that appointment still stands. He should also assure BM that there is no reason for you to accompany that 12yr old into the actual office room for this sports physical. Go in, let desk know kid is there, when nurse calls kid in, let the nurse take charge of kiddo from there. Kid gets done, comes out, you pay and off you both go. Don't forget to have BF give you a written statement from him that you have his permission to take this kid to dr whatever his name is for a simple sports physical (they may or may not ask to see this).

These really are non excitable appointments. Your local Walgreen clinic probably has performed these daily all summer long for kids they're never seen before and may never see again. The physical are cheap (because they are limited and very basic) and it's really nothing for BM to wing out over. By the way, I agree that either BM or Dad should be taking child for regular dr visits and any medical treatments. The only time I would have some leeway I that is emergency situations (kid fall out of tree broke arm) and neither parent can get there quickly. In that event, the non-parent is solely a means of transportation and any actual discussion with dr and/or medical decisions could and would be by phone between parent and dr/nurse.

I remember a number of yrs ago when my mother took my then 20yr oldish daughter to hospital for outpatient surgery (non-serious) when I had two toddlers in home (my GS and youngest daughter). Once DD was out and on table, dr discover another problem and he called me and received my permission as DD's next of kin to do the additional area of concern. As my DD was under anesthesia and could not make her own decision, and my mother is not DD's legal next of kin, dr had to seek my permission to make decision in place of my daughter. In fact dr phoned me twice that day. Once for permission and inform me exactly what was occurring, and once to inform how the procedure had went. Except to nod at my mother as he bustled pass, he spoke to my mother not at all. As it should be.

Anon2009's picture

"BM is over-reacting about 'who' must perform this physical. Fact is , there is no reason for BM had to keep the regular yearly physical with the child's dr that is also scheduled. Have your BF assure BM that that appointment still stands. He should also assure BM that there is no reason for you to accompany that 12yr old into the actual office room for this sports physical. Go in, let desk know kid is there, when nurse calls kid in, let the nurse take charge of kiddo from there. Kid gets done, comes out, you pay and off you both go. Don't forget to have BF give you a written statement from him that you have his permission to take this kid to dr whatever his name is for a simple sports physical (they may or may not ask to see this)."

I agree with this.

theoutsider's picture

My boyfriend has given in to BM SLIGHTLY.

BM gets the kids this weekend (Friday after school until 5pm Monday night)

So my boyfriend sent her an email early this morning saying :

If you want to have (12 year old girl) see DR.X, then you are welcome to make the appointment during your time this weekend. Otherwise I will reschedule the appointment for Tuesday at the prompt care facility.

I think it is an ok response, what do you guys think?

SMof2Girls's picture

If he caves to this, she'll throw a fit every single time. He's teaching her how to get what she wants. I think he should just stick to the original plan. Otherwise, he created all this fuss for what? To give BM her way anyway?

SMof2Girls's picture

I agree that the physical should have been done weeks ago. When I was in school, practices often started before the first day of school, and physicals were due before we could participate. It's pretty common knowledge .. so unless SD didn't decide to play until late, I don't see why the physical was scheduled so far out.

She's probably not taking SD to this new physical because you only gave her 24 hrs notice. Does she have a job or a schedule? I mean, if BM did this to us, it's not likely that we'd be able to take the skids either. She probably feels bullied into letting you take SD so she's grasping at straws for reasons to prevent it.

It's all petty. It's all a control game. Take the kid to the physical, but honestly, DH really should be doing these things. If he's got sole custody, there's no reason he needs to explain himself to BM as long as skid is being properly cared for. But I do kind of see BM's train of thought here.

On a side note, the CVS (drug store) Minute Clinics do sport physicals .. they're not exactly the most technical or advanced aspect of medical practice Wink

christinen's picture

BMs have a tendancy to get themselves worked up over NOTHING. I don't see what the issue is in your case. I played sports in school and always got my sports physicals at the school nurse's office- everyone I know did. There's no reason it needs to be done in his pediatrician's office. It's a quick 10 minute check-up.

theoutsider's picture

GUESS WHAT????

BM picked up the kids after school today and took the 12 year old to the pediatrician's office WITHOUT TELLING the 12 year olds dad!

Exactly what she wanted!!! She got to be Mother Of The Year and take her daughter to the appointment!!!

BUT OOOPS BM YOU FORGOT THAT YOU JUST BROKE THE CO THAT YOU INSISTED YOUR EX HUSBAND FOLLOW!!!!!

Yep, threw a fit that she could not be at the appointment SO SHE TOOK THE KID WITHOUT NOTIFYING OF THE DATE AND TIME OF THE APPOINTMENT SO HE COULD ATTEND!!!

Man,... you guys were right, I should have just taken her today, give BM an inch and she steam rolls you!

But at least it is documented in emails that she did this, way to go BM, thanks for giving us the documentation of you breaking the Court Order!

twoviewpoints's picture

Not really a contempt of CO. DH texted/emailed her and told her she could pick kid up and take her to Dr Whoever this weekend on her time. So she did. If I got a text/email from Dad telling me I could take kid to dr this weekend (he already knows what dr and where office is) I wouldn't think I needed to respond back.

I don't understand a sports physical requiring such a ridiculous amount of informing and planning with pre-notifications and parents squealing CO violations. Even a yearly routine check-up. I could see if this was all about non-routine drs services or mental health counseling or evals , but we're talking peeing in a cup, checking vitals, weighing kid and peeking in the eyes, ears and throat. At 12 yrs old I would have been embarrassed to death to have both my parents trooping in a drs office with me like they were making life depending choices and decisions or the dr was about to secretly perform open heart surgery in a drs office exam setting. I highly doubt SD wants dad sitting in while dr questions about menstrual cycles.

Dad and BM need to both chill over the attempted 'I gotcha' moments over petty mundane dr services and take that CO in the manner the language was too innocently intending. That or have the language modified to clarify .

theoutsider's picture

That's just it. BM just modified it to say that each parent must notify the other of all doctors visits dates and times,....

She flipped out because my boyfriend was having me take the girl and BM could not attend the appointment he made (she put in the CO also that either her or he must ensure that all non emergency visits have one or the other present as well as both parents be notified of the date and time of the appointment.)

She was flipping out that HE wanted to break one part of the order by having the girl get a sports physical without a parent present, but then she went right on to break another part of the order by not notifying him of the date and time of the physical BM took the girl to.

I was just saying that we have it documented that BM was hypocritical.
Demanding the CO be followed and then literally 4 hours later breaking the CO herself.