You are here

article could have been written by me

SugarSpice's picture

i laughed out loud to read this article. so much of it was what i experienced when i married dh. (skids were both under 6.) when the skids were around, i all but disappeared to dh.

http://www.more.com/love-sex/marriage/can-marriage-be-saved/im-jealous-m...

SugarSpice's picture

the husband is an idiot:

"Amanda is my daughter; she has to come first." great way to kill his marriage.

CANYOUHELP's picture

There are two relationship killers in my opinion that women need to throw a giant red flag on and run as fast as they can-- away from the BS rapidly approaching:

My ....comes first. (Cause you come last....)

Nobody is going to come between me and my...... (Cause you come last, again....)

Just saying... Who wants last? When they make these statements, they mean ALL the time, not just as situationally appropriate.

Ninji's picture

SS is 11 and I still have to sit next to him when we eat out. He will act up to get attention from DH if I don't. DH doesn't "want to make a scene" so he won't do anything about it. I don't have a problem correcting SS in public.

CANYOUHELP's picture

To me, it is weird that a non issue that can become a big issue in step families.... most of the time we are discussing very immature things, but after repeated behavior and obvious intentional aggression toward the SM, the SM grows weary and gets in the power struggle mis--just as self defense. Yes, the silliness goes both ways, agreed. But with a doormat daddeee, the SM can either defend herself or stop the entire mess.

pinkb's picture

I, too, have a SKID. He's now 21yo. I don't come first and doubt I ever will. One of my very first indications of this was in a dinner out when he was a teen when the waiter at the restaurant asked the lady of the table (me) what I chose from the menu. Disney Daddy redirected the waiter to the child to place his order first.

Years later in counseling (BEFORE we got married) the counselor asked my DH point blank "is your marriage your priority or your acting-out adolescent son?" My husband looked him square in the eye and LIED. "Of course my marriage".

I truly think I'm going to lose it one of these days.

CANYOUHELP's picture

I know Pink, my husband would say the same; his actions do not match his words, so I know where you are coming from.... I do not get it at all.

SugarSpice's picture

i know this well. dh spent pennies on anniversary gift for me due to his dirt poor parents not saving up for retirement. then dh blows nearly five hundred dolars for sports equipment for adult daughter. i gave dh such a peice of my mind that he never went cheap with me again.