You are here

what do you do with visitation with kids ???

pat's picture

I recently put into court for cs to be reduced, but was declined for lack of proff even though I gave copies of pay check stubs to prove it. What a scam the court system is. My question is , what do you do with your visitation with kids if you have very limited time with them and you have VERY limited funds ?I have taken them to parks and to book stores so far.

Bradybunchmom's picture

my kids like slumber parties, we all wear jammies and lay in the livingroom for movies and snacks til they pass out.

Libraries usually have summer programs with fun activities and also some towns have "free summer lunches" at parks or schools which have activities. These usually work all the way up to teens.

Most kids like to learn cooking, try cooking lessons?

There are VBS's all summer all over the place and a lot of them are free. My friend always has her kids lined up for a different VBS every week of the summer, so far mine are only booked for 4 weeks. Even if you are not religious they have tons of free activities and the kids have a blast.

Visit the animals at a humane society during visiting hours. This may only work for younger kids but mine think it is better than the zoo and get to see all kinds of dogs and cats, sometimes bunnies, mice, hamsters etc too. Pet stores used to work for this but most of them don't carry actual pets anymore.

Check out letterboxing. Atlasquest.com You get a notebook to stamp in and an ink pad. you find all these hidden boxes with clues from the internet which have a stamp inside and a log book, you then stamp your personal stamp (which can be your fingerprint) inside the boxes logbook, and the boxes stamp inside your personal notebook to show where you have been...very little start up cost, tons of fun, they are hidden all over the place and every kid I have done this with has loved it.

If you have younger kids there are all kinds of printables online with hidden pictures, coloring pages, puzzles, brain teasers, even internet scavenger hunts to help them work on their internet skills.

I have tons of ideas, I am always low on funds, and high on kids lol. We have 7 full time and we homeschool, plus I babysit sometimes, and have friends with lots of kids I help with sometimes too.

starfish's picture

zoo pass is a great idea! at one time i always got those for skids and busch gardens (i live in fl) passes.... fishing is also a good one ~~ i know they are girls, but as long as you put the bait on the hook, the rest is fun for any age/gender unless you hate fish... if you have a yard, starting a small garden is awesome... if not, get flower pots and grow herbs or their favorite flowers (anything colorful with a binch of blooms), so when they bloom you can pick them and put in a small vase for them to admire indoors... you're a guy, but can you bake? the directions are super simple on the box.... bake cupcakes and go online and their are a million kid-friendly decoration ideas...

if i think of more i'll repost..... making pizza with extra your favorite toppings is always fun.... netflix -- $9/mth -- popcorn and movie time with dad -- before bed, when it's raining... cheap and good times... shit, i'm on a roll.... good luck...

Pantera's picture

hahaha. i did the same with SS. he couldn't event throw a football until i came along, lol. i miss those days too.

Pantera's picture

I am in the process of separating from DH and wish SS10 and I could get back to those days!!! BM screwed this one up too (with the help of DH of course). I feel sorry for all of them.

Pantera's picture

my dad used to take us camping, fishing, to state parks, picnics, board games, sports. he didn't have alot of money, just spending time with him was good enough (even if it meant he had to take us to work with him, which btw was awesome).

this may sound weird but they were some of the most fun times in my life...he would drive us to "haunted places" and scare the crap out of us. one time we got funnel cake he drove us to an old haunted burned down house and was telling the story of what happened and started messing with the automatic car door locks and we all got really scared, my little brother got so scared he jumped so bad that he jumped onto the funnel cake, lol. just be creative. kids will cherish it, trust me.