You are here

Step Parent With Anxiety

Smomof3's picture

Are their any other step parents out there with diagnosed anxiety or depression? I have horrible anxiety and take medication for it, but dealing with the BM makes me super anxious and paranoid. I can't seem to find an even balance between knowing she is an evil, selfish, plotting witch and being suspicious and paranoid of her every move.

I hope this doesn't sound crazy. The kids are with their Mom this week and I feel like all she does is plot against us the whole time. I even see a difference in the kids, but their Dad doesn't...he says I'm paranoid and prefers to believe everything is perfect until it hits the fan.

luchay's picture

Me too, both - but no meds. Excercise, meditation and keeping it real and healthy with my SO help.

Thankfully he has recognized that there are problems and that BM and his kids are the cause. He is very supportive NOW and things are getting better.

Good luck and big hugs to you both.

dgb's picture

I also have both and have been on meds for depression and anxiety for nine years since my dad committed suicide. The meds are not helping with the anxiety attacks. I'm reading a book called 'Loving What Is'. It teaches you a series of questions to ask yourself to see if your thoughts are really true. Our minds constantly tell us a story that can cause anxiety and fear until we learn to see things as they really are.

unbelieveable's picture

I also have both and have been on medication for about a year. Yesterday I had such a terrible day I had to keep myself locked in a room and away from the kids and everyone else reading to keep myself calm. of course the oldest wanted to knock every ten minutes. UGH.

Sometimes to handle the paranoia and anxiety I just make DH deal with everything. Sometimes you JUST have to stay away from it all.

You're not crazy. This is just part of the crap that comes with step parenting.

janeyc's picture

Firstly its normal that Daddy won't see anything wrong with Skids behaviour, where as you may, he has a Fathers love, you don't, so you see things that they will not, my Sd6 will do things I find naughty in front of her Dad and he just won't notice, I used to suffer from anxiety and depression, if I was going through that now, with the added pressure of a blended family, it would be unbelieveably stressful, what do you do to manage your condition apart from meds? I know how exhausting and frightening depression is and as for the anxiety, well you know, noendinsight is right exercise does help alot, exercise outside is really good, as we think more outwardly, depression makes us think inwardly, you really have to take care of yourself, your diet, rest and exercise, B vitamins are helpful, as are foods rich in Tryptophan, Bananas, Turkey and milk, Chamomile is great for relaxation too, if you would like to know anymore, then feel free to message me. Smile

Smomof3's picture

I try to keep DH engaged as much as possible and stay out of it, but it's not always feasible. I also take a high dosage of vitamin D...my body doesn't process it properly. I'm a sleeper and sleep more when upset, so relaxation isn't a problem, but staying awake is. I know exercise is great, but I can't get motivated. it's like the bed calls my name at 8:00.

Thatonegirl's picture

I never really read someone put it like that. I've been reading books tryig to cope with the stress of being with someone with a child, and every book shares the common thought of "put the kids first and coincide". It does nothing for me, and when I've tried to put it in action, I get no where. I'm bipolar, which I don't take meds for, and have been succesful in controlling up until recently when BM started arguing and fighting with me when she wasn't getting a response through SO. Luckily enough I have a man who understands my anxiety and medical situation and has limited our exposure to BM. It's costing us money now that we have to pay lawyers to see SS at all, since she denies any visitation now because of it, but we are happier to pay and not deal with her.

dledden's picture

I was diagnosed with panic/anxiety disorder back in my 20's. Lived well-medicated for many years, hardly any attacks and any issues. Moved in with fiancee and the skid last august. things have been fine, until this school year just ended and i have my 2 bios and the skid full time every day. been waking up with anxiety symptoms every day since. i think it's that the kids are home 24/7 (last summer i didn't have the skid all day everyday, only for the month of august), but could also be that i'm getting married this august and maybe my body is starting to feel the stress of putting all that together??? I truly think it's the SKID though. I am on here venting lately almost every day about him. Dad is working more hours, so i'm stuck with him more often. It's very draining and stressful, i've even needed to take a few xanax (prescribed to me) to take the edge off. normally i take a xanax once during my period to help ease the cramps...lastely 've had to take 2 a day! Skid aint going away either, so i'm not sure how i'm gonna feel better!!!!

just tired's picture

Anxiety...check. Intestinal upset for the past 2 months....check. On meds for the intestinal issue....check. Getting better? Nope.

Smomof3's picture

I really need to exercise and develop more of a life away from home. I think that's the answer. Another problem is that DH doesn't deal with things when I think he should. He lets it go until he has to deal with it...I'm the exact opposite and it drives me nuts.

lots_of_issues's picture

Hi, I am new to this site. I can relate to this topic, I have anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember. And dealing with the BM is never easy and unrelenting on my anxiety. I have 2 Skids and 1 has a pretty severe case of autism. We have been married nearly 3 years now, I have a son from a previous marriage. The problem is, that my husband isn't really available unless his kids are here. He is gone most of the time when they aren't here. It hurts me when he doesn't make the effort for me and my son. Not only that, but he may be starting a new job where he is gone for 2 weeks at a time. He has been talking to the BM about giving us custody of my SD. I feel like he is volunteering me for this, knowing he will be gone most of the time. I don't drive due to my anxiety issues and it terrifies me being stuck at home with 2 children (one being my own, but I have my ex's family that helps a lot with him)and no way to get them to a hospital is something were to happen. I feel like I am being volunteered to do this. He and his ex wife have all these talks and he never even talks to me about them before they happen. My Skids are good kids, I love them, but I am trying to be realistic about what I can handle. And I know that when my husband leaves, the BM will try to have me baby sit my autistic SS a lot, which I really don't think I can handle at all...this child requires constant supervision and undivided attention, and a lot of the time when he's here my anxiety takes over and I have an attack. He's always in constant danger of seriously hurting himself or one of the other children, and I also worry about being held responsible for that while he is under my supervision. The question is, am I being unreasonable for the fears and doubts i have? Do I hang in there and do the best I can? I love my husband, but anymore, I feel like I am being robbed of my happiness and my youth. And I also worry about my son in all of this, he also deserves to be happy. He only gets love and attention from my husband when all the kids are here, and I don't think that is fair. My little boy loves his SS, but she is approaching teenage years, and already doesn't really take what I say seriously. I worry about being able to do this. Part of me really wants to because of the love me and my husband share, but the burden with the children is sometimes to heavy to carry.

I know that if the BM caves and gives us custody of the SD it's only a matter of time before she gives us my SS. I think I can probably swing having custody of my SD, but I think being alone with 3 kids, one being a special needs child, might send me over the edge into the looney bin. Should I voice these concerns, or am I just being too negative? I question whether or not I am just a terrible person, and if I should just suck it up and grin and bear it. But this is my life and I feel like I should have a say so in it. Oh, for a little background info, the BM and my hubby have had a history of bickering in the past, mainly because she wants him to have joint custody yet pay her full child support. She jerks him around by these kids all the time, and it's been hard to watch. She has even tried several times to get me to babysit because she needs a break. I feel like a doormat in all of this, because most the time I get all the responsibility but none of the say so. The idea of full custody of both scares the living daylights out of me. Both of these children are pretty high maintenance, and my husband is going to be really really far away with his new job. Is it right for me to be expected to just pick up all that slack, when they have a BM that doesn't work or do anything? I don't understand how she gets a get out of parenting free card just because she doesn't feel like doing it anymore. Sometimes I wonder if I should just run as fast and far as I can in the opposite direction, because I really feel like I am being taken advantage of. Any advice?

dledden's picture

As a new stepmom to a child with autism, i'm going to tell you, it's SUPER SUPER hard to deal with! And your husband should in NO WAY force that kid on you. I just got my guy to agree to get me 2x a week with the kid at his grandparents house so I could have a break. i can't deal with him 24/7 and shouldn't have to, he's NOT MY KID. I would never ask my fiancee to take care of my kids all summer, all day by himself while I worked (i'm stay at home mom and part/time substitute teacher, so i'm off all summer)but yet i'm sure he expected me to! In fact, the kid's having a meltdown right now because my older son said he was next to play the ds game! Like I said, you do NOT want this kid fulltime in your house. Definitely fight against it!!

Smomof3's picture

Can't imagine having a skid with special needs. I don't think I cuold do it unless I could stay home full time and the BM was out of the picture.

lots_of_issues's picture

Thanks for all the advice. I have an update though. My husband got the new job and is gone most of the time. We are 3 weeks into it and his ex wife is getting ready to have a new baby. I'm pretty sure she wants me to keep my SS for her for a while. I'm not quite sure how to handle this, it's something that isn't going to be easy, and everyone has told me I am the only one that can do it, because everyone else she knows is busy or working, blah blah...I have a little boy that is in school, I can't drive and I have to walk him about a block or 2 away to the bus stop every morning. I can't take my ss with me because I worry he will get away from me and get hit by a car or hurt somehow. On top of all that I have broken my foot, and me and my son both are pretty sick. Is it unreasonable for me to feel like they are out of line for even asking me to do this? This woman has had months to plan help for when her new baby arrives. She has a new husband and she has family of her own. Why does everyone look to me when they can't find a sitter for my autistic step son? Should I speak up and say no? Or should I just suck it up and deal with it? I'm pretty sure we are talking about weeks at a time, with my husband being a continent away. My mother in law expects me to do this, she practically volunteered me for it. She agreed to take his sister so she can get her back and forth to school, but said she couldn't keep my step son. The children also go to different schools and their bus doesn't run in this area. My ss isn;t even school, which means I'll have to watch him all day and all night, without any help. I feel like I am being pushed around and taken advantage of. Does it sound that way to anyone else here????

lots_of_issues's picture

It is very difficult to have a special needs step child, you are under constant scrutiny from everyone, especially the BM which makes it even worse. I could deal with it better if the BM was out of the picture I guess. She wants control over all his medical stuff but doesn't want the responsibility of raising him. It's just too much to deal with sometimes.

FergusonRebecca's picture

Pharmacotherapy for depression should consist of an urgent prescription of antidepressants