You are here

SS faking sick?

sbm014's picture

Last year SS missed a record like 16 days or something when with BM because he was "sick". He missed I believe 4 with us - 3 of which he was really sick and one DH let him play hookie for some reason I can't exactly remember. However the doctor covered BM's ass for the majority of BM's missed days, and even the day that DH let SS play hookie (I believe it had something to do with him leaving before birthday or something it was a ridiculous excuse but I had already left for work and truly have no say anyways). Anyways when DH saw the report of how many days SS he was absent with BM he called the doctor and basically told him if he didn't see SS he didn't want him faxing in notes, the doctor denied doing this and DH brought up the day he let SS play hookie and told the doctor he would have no problem getting legal advice on how to show he wasn't doing his job.

I'm talking like the kid got away with having athletes foot - well DH started taking away ATV time as he didn't feel BM was the full problem - he knew she had something to do with it but SS was the one always waking up sick and BM did it when she was a child so simply didn't enforce the whole you need to go to school thing.

SS did good in the fall of not missing any days. He had a few instances or sickness but DH said he could really tell he was sick. And then he missed days because of being "bullied" something I posted about and was absolutely insane. DH got onto him as the teacher emailed DH about SS and the whole situation with much concern. UNTIL right before Christmas he magically got sick right after DH left, and then the last 3 days before Christmas break he had a "stomach virus".

DH sent him to school last Wednesday as when I woke him up he didn't say anything about feeling sick and we typically are a tougher household. However DH had become more lenient in recent months on his behavior. Though he has seemed to reconnect us this past weekend and seems to believe that SS may have had some is seeming like he is willing to be a disciplinarian again especially now that he doesn't have to completely hold the dirt bike back since SS got it from Santa (I honestly believe that he simply just wanted him to have the dirt bike by some of the things he said).

Last Thursday is a good example to me of his wanting to put his foot down. BM didn't tell DH that SS was sick until like 10AM (School starts at 7:55) because she had something to do. SS claimed a stomach ache and came over and fell asleep DH said he believed he was sick until he woke up and acted himself. Well, DH went outside and I asked him what they did at BM's the night before and he said "Mommy said she missed me so I got to stay up and watch movies with her" - which explained the falling asleep then being okay. SS said something about going outside and playing and riding to which DH said no because it was cool out and he didn't want him to get more sick...even though they sat inside and played video games. BM came and picked SS up and I was outside talking to DH's friend when she pulled up and she never once asked SS if he was feeling better which was a huge red flag she simply was just letting SS get away with what he wanted. DH talked to SS and said he should be better to go back to school on Friday though SS told DH "He may feel better" to which DH said he noticed he was fine Thursday afternoon when BM picked him up.

Fast forward after a peaceful SS free weekend. DH calls me telling me is going to wait to see SS and will be home a little later than anticipated. I asked if he was picking him up for BM or something and he said no SS was going to the doctor because he had a sore throat and the doctor is the next town over which DH was in helping my grandmother. DH got home I asked how SS was his response "I don't think he was really sick, he got note for having a stomach bug". I told him that didn't add up with what he told me on the phone and he said he didn't know what was going on anymore. Mind you last night when DH called to say goodnight at 8:45 (bedtime here is 9) SS was helping BM cook and playing with his cars - which means he probably stayed up to late again.

DH wants to take away his dirtbike as he knows SS is playing games but I doubt it will happen as it is his last weekend home. He truly doesn't know what to do because he knows he feels like he has no control about BM keeping him home sick, but he hates seeing SS not go to school and honestly it ticks him off that this is going on. I know he feels helpless because he doesn't want to punish for something she is rewarding but he doesn't know what else to do.

Personally, I am scared of Thursday and Friday if I work from home. I wake SS up for DH as it is easier to get DH out of bed if SS is telling him to get up than me because when I work from home I start out doing email in bed and DH knows if he cuddles I'm not going to force him to get up...also at work he is told that he has to get up, but they normally let him go back to sleep for a little if nothing serious is going on so it is what he is used to. However I am scared of SS trying to pull the "I'm sick" card with me and it getting turned into me being a complete bitch.

I feel like normally DH would back me up but I am so worried with it being his last weekend home that he will pull heartstrings with DH and it will just cause DH to go into 'Disney' mode even if he knows I am right. The kid uses his stomach to get out of stuff anyways or has before, and now school because he knows it's not something we can look at and see if it is red, and your stomach can ache without a fever (scary he has completely figured it out and he won't be 6 until March).

Any advice as how to handle waking him up and any possible issues - I know it is a few days ahead but the thought is already lingering in my mind. Also anything to tell DH to be supportive but not feel like I am pushing that he does need to take stuff away if he is purposely saying he is sick to not go to school...I mean I'd feel bad if he was really sick, but the kid literally barely gets sick when he is with us - and now that he started the habit before Christmas, got 2 weeks off and has only gone 2/4 school days I have many doubts.

sbm014's picture

The issue is yes at 5 they can get sick a lot. I understand this as I am an adult and have to suck it up a lot as I have and always have had a weak immune system.

The issue is SS has a rock solid immune system - most of the days he had missed is right after DH leaves for work, right before we are supposed to get him, pretty days etc. Last year she kept him home for school and got the doctor to send a note saying he hurt his foot cause he got athletes foot and we know it was just athletes foot as we picked him up that afternoon as it was a custody swap day. I don't think we would have a issue if we knew he was actually sick. And last week she didn't say anything to DH until she had something to do and like I said SS did not seem sick I even wrote a thread about him grinning when DH asked if he was sick of just didn't want to go to school.

A little back story on BM - she pulled getting sick and headaches to where her mom pulled her mom out of school in 3rd grade to home school her and she doesn't even have a GED even though even when we first got together DH paid for a class for her to get it so she could support SS and her eldest as her income was being cut. So, she doesn't take school seriously and according to DH she tiptoes the truancy lines with her eldest.

Yes DH has issues getting up even but like I said I do defend that he's worked on the boat for 8 years and is used to being woken up. However most of the time what I do is wake up SS and get him to wake up DH once DH is awake and somewhat alert I lay down and don't do anything else. I'm sure he can do it himself as he does on the days I go to work but it's just easier even if inconvenient at times.

I just at this point DH doesn't know what to do because he can only punish so much when BM enables it.

And for me I don't want to deal with him not getting up trying cause issues at 6am - I feel like DH would be on my side but I am semi skeptical as he leaves next week.

sbm014's picture

So, BM told DH that we could get SS today as she can't deal with him being sick all the time. DH said just said whatever and was happy as he gets SS a extra day before he leaves. I am unsure if he made it to school today but it is simply ridiculous.

Part of me just wants to come into work tomorrow though I will have to hurry back for a doctors appointment at 3 (2 hours away) tomorrow just so DH can handle him trying to pretend to be sick his first day back with us.