You are here

Should we pay this!?

alittlepinot's picture

I have been a member for over a year but just changed my user name today. My prior user name was my kids nick names and was way too specific and could easily identify me. Lol.

Anyway. BM has told us that we owe her money for pharmacy copays. She however cannot document these copays. She showed us a receipt from the pharmacy which just says "pharmacy" and the amount that she paid.

She can't document that it was for SD. We've asked her to document it was for SD and to get a print out from the pharmacy she can't (or won't) who knows. The pharmacy that she uses like I am sure most pharmacies when you pick up your script it's in a bag and on the bag there is a print out with the patients name, the medication, and the copay. Plus she has welfare insurance and from reading their website it is my understanding that they don't have prescription copays!

This is causing a huge issue because we won't pay it. CO says we owe 50% of copays which we are happy to pay providing they are FOR SD! We don't know if this is for SD, BM, or her other kids. We can't just be paying anything that she asks for with out documentation.

Thoughts?

momandmore's picture

It should come with a printout with the name, amount and specifics about the med. Medicaid or whatever doesn't cover all meds.. Or sometimes just a portion of it. But..if she isn't producing the right info.. I wouldn't pay. Let her take it to court and they can subpoena a printout from the pharmacy.

If you know which pharmacy she uses you or DH/SO can get a copy ..assuming SO has those rights.

zipper10's picture

I agree with you. BM needs to provide documentation. Can she show you the script? Bottle? anything that has SD name on it? Also, you need to know what medications SD is on and to ensure that she is taking them or following what ever the Dr scribed if she visits at your house as well.
If she doesn't give you documentation, she will next time if she wants you to pay 1/2.

Evil stepmonster's picture

There has to be documentation, plus it usually has to be claimed with in 30 days. I wouldn't pay it. Medicaid is 100% free. If she's using it then she's not paying for anything, so just tell her since she uses the medicaid and paid 0 you will gladdly give her 50% of the 0 she paid.

alittlepinot's picture

Yep thanks everyone!! She's off her rocker and keeps saying that she's going to take us back to court for more child support over this. Ummm, ok? If you're going to do it then just do it and quit threatening. Moreover the bitch owes us money. THAT WE HAVE DOCUMENTED. We aren't that petty though to take her to court over it. It's only like 30 bucks so it's not worth it.

AllySkoo's picture

I agree you're under no obligation to pay it if she's not providing documentation.

I'll play a bit of devil's advocate here though. If we're talking about a $20 copay ($10 being your share) and it's a one time thing? The hassle of fighting with her over $10 would SO not be worth is to me. I'd pay $10 to BM to not have to deal with her bull, and consider it money well spent. Wink (Obviously if it's more money or a recurring thing, that would change whether I considered it worth it!)

alittlepinot's picture

Sadly it's not a lot of money HOWEVER my argument is that it doesn't matter how much money it is. We can afford it no problem but if we pay this then next week it's going to be an $100 expense and she's going to say "well you paid the last one with out documentation so I didn't save any documentation for this one I figured you didn't need it."

We even told her to just take it off of the money she currently owes us. Apparently in the land of crazy this is completely unacceptable.

Anna21's picture

Exactly. One email requesting proper documentation and then close the topic with her. Its her responsibility to show proper documentation. The fact that she is not showing that, is suspicious in itself!

misSTEP's picture

Are you sure that he is responsible for 50% of the copays? I just ask because we had the situation where my Dh was responsible for premium payments and then half of what was left after insurance paid. BM was 100% responsible for copays since she was the one who decided when to take them in (all the time...for every little thing...and second/third opinions...)

alittlepinot's picture

Unfortunately we are responsible for 50% of copays and she is such a hypochondriac she will literally take SD to the hospital for a diaper rash. I'm not even exaggerating one time she literally took SD to the emergency room for a diaper rash. We had to shell out our half of the $150.00 copay and she never paid her half of it. After that we petitioned for her to carry insurance on SD because if she was going to use the ER as a doctors office there is no way we could afford to pay $75.00 each and every time SD has the sniffles. She ended up putting SD on her Medicaid. She still takes her to the ER for a cough, actually it happened last week. SD has a fever of 99.9 and she rushed her to the hospital. I am wondering how long before the ER doctors tell her they aren't a PCP.

simifan's picture

I agree no receipt - no payment. But, check your CO, most are after a certain $$ amount. BM would often forget the first $250.00 was her responsibility.

intrinsicmemory's picture

Oh yes, require documentation, I do, and BM is too lazy to collect prescription copays! And my DH's CO states he is responsible for 50% of medically necessary expenses. No cosmetic dentistry or nose jobs for SD unless BM is shelling out the cash. BM thinks a chiropractor cures the sniffles, but it goes on DH's insurance and $75 copays because SD is too lazy to get off her ass and be active and healthy it's making me consider a pediatrician to rule that the chiropractor is an unnecessary medical expense...

Rags's picture

If she can't or won't deliver adequate documentation then no, you don't owe it and you should not pay it.

We have required the Sperm Clan to provide documentation on several occasions when they took the Skid to the doc while on visitation. Since they never paid any of the copay or medical costs we incurred for the Skid on issues not covered by insurance we never paid them a penny when they asked for payment of half of copays that were incurred when they took the kid to the doc while he was on visitation. On the rare occasion when they did provide documentation we still did not pay them. We did remove that amount from the biannual statements we have been sending them for more than 20 years. Their balance just keeps going up with the penalties and interest we accrue against them. They asked us to quit "Harassing" them with those statements a few years ago and we told them sending them a statement on debt that they owe to us is not harassment and when they pay up we will send them a statement indicated Paid In Full.

It is about time for them to whine again soon.

Don't pay a penny unless she provides documentation.

IMHO of course.