You are here

BM lost SD's ring...so annoyed

_Jess_'s picture

So about a month and a half ago, BM actually showed up for one of SD's soccer games (I can count on one hand how many she's been to in the 4 years I've been living with SD). And SD had her ring on at the game --- the ring that I presented to SD when I married DH, where I vowed to be a patient, caring step-mother to her, etc etc.

Well, soccer rules are no jewelry in games. So SD had to take her ring off. And instead of bringing it over to me and DH to hold, she gave it to BM. I complained to DH about it at the time, because BM is a completely irresponsible dingaling, but he said to let it go. SD was going with BM after the game anyways, so she could get the ring back from her then.

SHOCKINGLY, SD did not come home with her ring that weekend. So we told SD, next time you're over (which was two weekends later...we're on a strictly EOW schedule with BM) make sure to ask BM for the ring. She came home AGAIN without the ring. So I harassed DH until he finally called BM to ask about. BM during this phone call said it was in her jewelry box and that SD just needed to look through there and get it.

So....this weekend was another BM weekend...and its now been 6 weeks since SD gave BM the ring. So DH called SD about an hour before pickup to remind her about getting the ring. SD started flipping out about how she can't find it, yadda yadda yadda. BM calls back 30 seconds later and tells DH to get off SD's back. BM says, "Its my fault, I'm the one who lost the ring." She said that when SD gave her the ring, she put it in her pocket and she hasn't seen it since (I wonder where the jewelry box story came from but whatever).

I am SO PISSED. This is a $300 real diamond ring that I gave SD as a wedding gift. BM knows the ring is from my wedding to DH.....

Anyway...just wanted to grrrrrr

Sia's picture

but I would almost bet this was done on purpose! What a raving beotch! Man, I hope DH asks her to pay for the ring she lost! He should make her replace it or deduct it from the CS (if he pays any). That sucks for you, as I am sure the ring means more to you than to anyone else. That sucks! Good luck, maybe it will turn up.

_Jess_'s picture

He wanted to ask her to pay for it but he doesn't want the confrontation. We don't pay CS b/c we have custody. She doesn't pay CS because she "can't work" and the court decided to make her paying us $80/month contingent on her finding employment.

Its just a loss financially. Makes me sad though. This is a ring that SD should have had for her whole life.

And I agree it was probably done on purpose.

Mystery23's picture

So do you think bm dont this on purpose? I was and still am a person that if given something I also keep it. Is your sd not upset that her bm lost because I would of been.

_Jess_'s picture

that SD did SOMETHING stupid. Either losing the ring, or giving it away (she has this tendency to want to PLEASE certain people (mostly on BM's side of the family) and so will give things away to them because it makes them happy in the moment).

But for now we're just dropping it. SD expressed that she was really upset about it at dinner last night. She did seem to really love that ring....I had never seen her take care of something so well before it.

I'm thinking that perhaps, if she and I still have a decent relationship 8 years from now when this happens, I will get her a very similar ring as a high school graduation gift. We'll see what happens between now and then though.