You are here

what is really going on..

cruder's picture

I believe the culture, as portrayed through television in the main, throughout the late eightees and ninetees and 2000s, has moulded the young people and has force-fed them 'needs' and desires right from the get-go. These malevolent lazy gen-y creations our the children of the machine and it's corporate craftsmen - who, in the main are 'us' - the baby-boomers. And these kids - they're angry. Very angry. And they don't seem to like us. They certainly won't take their instructions from us. Look at the neo-liberal (wikipedia it) value structure - as pushed by the great USA - "look after number one". "You must fit in". "You must get rich - at any cost". "Step over your brothers and sisters to get whats yours". "Only the rich are happy". "The youth are the only viable people on earth". "Old people don't know anything".

Sorry - I've diverged a bit. See, sometimes I think, wow, are they all like this - so...disrespectfull? Then i think a bit deeper, and think back to the programming of the 90s and 2000s, and its really no surprise these kids are as they are. They get what they need information wide instantly - and theyve truly grown up with that as the bottom line. Its no wonder they want everything now.

Now, obviously, for genetic or biological reasons, the teen or young adult must spread their wings from the nest. why does it always have to be a violent ejection?
At what age ias it too young to leave? When my SS threatens to leave, (hes 14), with the classic 'ill get a job and get a flat' , what is he really saying - that i'll live my life exactly the way i want and im outta here, or is it something else?

soverysad's picture

People can blame the media, ads, video games, internet, cell phones, etc. but the bottom line is parenting. Kids don't need access to all that crap just because it is available. SD5 watches 1/2 hour of television a week and this past week, we replaced that 1/2 hour with a family board game. We don't let her watch nonstop dvds because they're available. We don't buy her everything she sees on tv (she watches tv constantly at her mother's house). Just because she WANTS doesn't mean she GETS. The best way to counter this type of "i need it now" behavior is to force patience down their throats when they're young. Make them wait even if there isn't a reason. Now if your kids get it and they aren't acting like animals about it, give them what they want. Being spoiled is a learned ATTITUDE not a way of life.

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" and you can't change crazy!!