You are here

at what age...

Calypso1977's picture

would you consider to be too old for a handmade card?

SD is almost 15. she has unlimited access to the cash she needs/wants, will be driven to any store at anytime on demand, and of course is "very mature and grown up" if you ask anyone in BM's family.

She miraculously agreed to the visit on father's day, and she shows up with a piece of white construction paper folded in half. the front said "happy father's day" in blue pencil. when you opened the card, it said in green pencil "happy father's day, hope you have an awesome day. love, SD" the thing was clearly written out 5 minutes before pickup.

pathetic! i told her that a handmade card is really sweet...when you're 5. and of course she didnt like that.

fedupstep's picture

Sd16 (will be 17 next month) only does hand written cards...this year's was 'even though you make me crazy I'll always be daddy's little girl'. And then proceded to ruin father's day for DH.

Ninji's picture

At least she gave him something. Neither of my Skids bothered. Even SO mentioned that there are more sales for Mother's Day and Dads get nothing. SD just said "Daaad"

Didn't bother to even scribble Happy Father's Day on a piece of paper. I didn't hear either of them even tell him Happy Father's Day.

SpeakingGreek's picture

I don't think a handmade card is bad, it can show creativity and thoughtfulness - unless it is only handmade because it is a last minute rush. I am more likely to keep a handmade card and art than I am a store bought card. That said, I guess whether or not it is appropriate is dependent on the situation.

bellladonna's picture

It really doesn't matter what you think about the card. It wasn't a gift for you. It was for your DH. If he liked it that's all that matters.

Also that comment you made to her was very petty. You can't dictate what kind of card she gives her father.

Calypso1977's picture

well newsflash. dad didnt like the card and was offended and hurt by it (specifically the lack of overall effort/acknowledgement). it was pathetic considering her and mommie dearest do scrapbooking. a nice scrapbooked card would have been thoughtful. a "oh crap i need to give him something card" is pathetic.

MissDirected's picture

Wow... I thought this board was for the purpose of venting our skid frustrations... no matter how "petty" they may seem to anyone outside of this board!

misSTEP's picture

I don't know HOW many times SS would come with a card and present for DH and I would catch SD hurriedly getting SS to let her put her name on them. I don't know why he would do it every time but he would allow it.

EvilAngel's picture

Thunderfoot draws shit constantly and couldn't even be bothered to make DH a card for Father's Day. She didn't even know it was Father's Day until I said something about it.

EvilAngel's picture

I wish. I didn't even know she was in the kitchen. I said something to DH about Father's Day dinner...it was around 1 in the afternoon. I heard her say, "Oh yeah...Happy Father's Day everyone." WTF? Everyone? I am not a father you idiot!