You are here

We need to drop this link on a few of our spouses!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

OMG...I found this article today, and all could think in my head was "Amen, amen, and...A-FREAKIN'-MEN!!!" Wonder what kind of trouble I would stir if I sent this to DH? I mean, he's always trying to drop links on me about this and that (usually, "presents" he wants for his birthday even when his birthday is months away). Wonder what would happen if I dropped this link on him:

http://www.empoweringparents.com/narcissistic-children-and-teens-does-yo...

I did these kinds of things with BD23 and BS19...of course, they never got to the point of acting spoiled rotten. But in the early years, I would tell them no, and if they threw a fit, that fit was dealt with (trip to the bathroom, leave the store, etc.). If they went a period of behaving exceptionally well, we would go to the dollar store for a SMALL reward, and I was sure to tell them, "Because you have been so good all week...did exactly as mommy said without any argument or fits...you get a little something." Or, "You did such a good job cleaning your room like I asked you to do, let's go to McDonald's and get an ice cream." It was always small stuff...I figured if I could get them to appreciate the small stuff, if they got one of the things they really wanted for their birthday or Christmas, they would be super appreciative, and if it was a lean birthday or Christmas, they would still appreciate what they got and wouldn't pout because it wasn't more. And, guess what...IT WORKED!

I thinks we should all find a way to pass this to our spouses/partners and the other bio-parents that are creating these little monsters! Wonder if I could post it to my Facebook wall, and DH and his family would get the hint?

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

One of my favorite lines in the article: "Your child is not your friend—and parenting is not a popularity contest." Oh...that is so something I wish DH and BM would get in their heads! They are too busy trying to be SD15's favorite, that they forgot all about being her parents!

Goincrazy40's picture

I just sent the link to my DH. I have been having many conversations over the weekend about him letting SS14 have his way in everything, no consequenses… DH will probably get mad at me for sending it to him, because his kids are "perfect" but I don't care.

Who knows, he might not even read it. He is "all knowing." Of course I am the one stuck here with the spoiled kids for the second kid in a row while he works out of town.