You are here

stuck in the middle

Jacky's picture

how can i begin this? it is too much..my step daughter stole every piece of jewelry i had that was worth anything. i am sick. my husband doesn't know how to deal with this & her mother won't deal with it. short back ground...the x moved her away (60 miles) & we don't have day to day life w/them, she is 17 & when she came for her visit she cleaned me out. To be fair my husband doesn't know what to do, her mom is doing nothing. It has been 6 months, no word from her. I will not allow her in my house until she owns up....am I wrong??? lease help me..i love my husband but i can't be here!!!

Orange County Ca's picture

When a 6 yo steals you try and correct the behavoir and give another chance.

When a 17 yo steals she is not trusted for a decade if ever and a decade only if you have repeated contact with her outside of the home and can determine that it was a one-time thing.

When my 17 yo step-daughter continued to swipe bills from my wallet and was unrepetent I told my wife that upon graduation she and I were not living together and offered to leave so she could continue to live with her kid. Fortunately the kid decided to leave and to her credit grabbed her life and lived it.

Today I can trust her implicetly

People do change but they have to prove it by living the life first.