You are here

The straw has broke the camels back!!!

ST_1979's picture

I am engaged to a great man.  He has a complicated past.  He has 2 daughters 15 and 13.  Their bio-mom is not in the picture and hasn't been for 6 years now.  When the girls did live with their bio-mom full time, she was physically, emotionally and sadly sexual abusive to the girls.  They both have HUGE issues!!  The 13 year old lives with us full time, but the 15 year old(whom I have never met) lives with my fiances EX-GIRLFRIEND.  The girls HATE each other!!  The 15y/o hates her younger sister so much that she gets physical with her.  

My fiance and I's relationship started out great!  We got along right from the start, we laughed all the time, we enjoyed each others company, I hated to be away from him, blah, blah, blah.....you know the feelings.  But, unfortunately all that changed on the night we got engaged. My fiance had to keep his bedroom door locked because the 13y/o(who was 12 at the time) is a klepto and has no respect for other peoples property.  I had a bag of things that I kept at his house since I would stay-over so often.  It was Christmas time, so I also had presents and packages in the closet of his bedroom that needed to be wrapped and put under the tree.  Well the night we got engaged, we came home to tell her about it.  She seemed genuinely happy and excited for us.  Well I unlocked the bedroom door and was getting into my stuff which was in the closet and noticed that a package I had ordered from Amazon had been opend and someone had tried to use it.  I had bought my fiance a small ipod to use at the gym, because he hated carrying around his phone to use for music while he worked out.  I immediatly when out of the bedroom and asked him if he had opened it and stuff and he said that he hadn't.  I didn't even think that I was the SD because the door was locked.  But, my fiance looked at her and said did you do this, at first she tried to deny it and lie.  But eventually she admitted to picking the lock on the door and going in and going through my things, opening thins, trying on my clothes(which BTW I am a BBW so none of my clothes would fit a little girl!).  I was totally destroyed, I sat on the bed and just bawled about the invasion of my privacy, that christmas was ruined(I love Christmas, SD hates it), etc.....  Fiance was livid!!  He asked how long she had been picking the lock and she said the whole time it had been on the door!!!!!!!  So, that following Monday, we called her therapist(which was through the school) and told her about the kids behaviour and she recommended that we take to a different therapist that could help her more.  We did, she seemed to be doing better.  We didn't have any more break-ins after that.  

Well a couple months after christmas we decided to move in together.  His apartment was in the city about 25 miles from the small rural town I lived in.  Since they had no family in the state and I did, we decided that they would move to my small town because my mom has alzheimers and I wanted to be close to her, my dad and my sisters and their families.  Things seemd to be going great!  His daughter was struggling with adjusting to a new school, but had made some good friends and seemed to be doing well in school.  Well, we started noticing small things.  My niece was in the same grade as my SD and would tell my sister(her mom) about all these projects they were doing as a grade, field trips, standardized tests and such that were going on at school.  So I asked my SD about them and she told me she was all caught up and just didn't think to tell us.  Well after a couple of months, I just had an uneasy feeling, so my sister told me to go online and login and see her school report.  I had no clue I could do that.  So I logged on and HOLY SHIT, not only was she missing EVERY assignment and failing every class.  She had 15 tardies and 22 abscences in a 2 months period!!!!!!!!!!!!  She would write down our work schedules so she knew when to sluff.  We had to leave 30 min before she went to school, so after we left she would just stay home.  Called the school to ask why we had not been notified of this and they said that they had called her father several times.  Well come to find out, they had his number wrong, the SD was smart enough to go into the office and they let he "update" her contact info.  She changed her dads number, our mailing address and had them take me off of the list of people to contact.  Why the stupid office did all this without her Dads concent I will never know but they did.  We also found out the the teacher and the SD didnt get along.  And most of the time when she did go to school, he would just let her sit in her seat and draw or read.  He didn't have time to be bothered by a troubled young student.  Long story short.....saw principal, worked out situation, teacher and office staff apologized and we made it through the rest of the year.  

Two months into SD summer vacation, we had our first HUGE fight.  I had started noticing things were missing out of my shelf in the bathroom, things out of my room would disappear, etc.....  So I 

Rags's picture

So you..... what.

Troubled young student my butt.  I applaud this teacher for minimizing the distraction that this child represents to the rest of the kids who are in his class.

This is a parental failure, not a teacher or school failure.  If DH had been monitoring her performance, this would hae never happened.

So, it is time for her crap, theiving, etc... to have real, esclatingly age appropriate misery focused consequences.  And the locks on the doors need to be kid proofed. And yes, get this kid into counseling.

At some level only direct confrontation of her chosen behaviors will get things under control.

IMHO of course.

tog redux's picture

I hope you are OK, OP!

I fear you had a stroke from all the stress!

I would back out of any kind of parenting of this kid and demand your SO get her under control and NOW.

justmakingthebest's picture

Honestly it sounds like she could really use some kind of inpatient/ specialized boarding school for kids that have similar early lives. There are resources to help you financially with this. She has more problems than you and your SO can handle and a therapist once a week isn't going to be enough.

Rags's picture

Boarding school can be an effective option.  Unfortuneately it does not work for every kid.

SecondNoMore's picture

Every time I read one of these crazy stories here that sounds so insane that I think it's made up, I ask the same question: how can any woman still be turned on by a man in middle of this mess? Because there is no way he is not at least partially responsible for the mess. He chose to have two kids with a woman who abused her kids in every conceivable way, including sexually? One of his children lives with his ex-GF? The other one is a kleptomaniac? Come on. Figure out why you would even consider dealing with this and look for a better quality partner.

tog redux's picture

I always wonder that, too.

I also wonder that when the man is a crappy Disney parent that allows his kids to run feral through the house.

Harry's picture

There something wrong with your BF.  No body can have so much bad luck. He is the worst father in the world. Doesn’t do anything for his kids.  His kids are to far gone to be help.  OR. Run as fast as you can.  This he** will not end only going to get worst.  This is the un nice version