You are here

SS 16 With learning disability

uniccco's picture

Since we found out about my ss NF1 we just have put our marriage on hold, we dont go on trips no more because we cant find no one to keep a 16 year who is big for his age what do we do. I suggested sending him to his dad who doesnt work and does absoulutely nothing all day and doesnt support him at all I know i have to have some understanding but it is tough i get tired of him going eveywhere with my wife tagging along and eveytime she take a step he takes one too he will be 17 in a few months and will not get a highschool diploma are we stuck for life I just dont know how to cope want to get assisted living for him so we can enjoy our marriage i hope i dont sound selfish but its like i want space and expect to get it at a ceratain age I f he was my son i would get him some assisted living why is it so hard for woman to part with there children there lazy and dont have any motivation to do anything around the house he has stolen money from me and lies about any and eveything should i feel sorry for him or should i get him somewhere to live with help when he turns 18 ? His IQ is 52 and he tries to play with kids in the neighborhood who are 7 and 8 years old I am scared we are going to get in trouble !Help Please

DeeDeeTX's picture

If the group homes have extremely long waiting lists, what happens if the parents die unexpectedly and there is no one else to take the child (even if the child is 30 or so?)

Just curious.

britb3042000's picture

Wow that is definitely a tough situation! I can understand both sides of this. I had an uncle with down syndrome (he passed 3yrs ago)and a 21 yr old cousin with cerebral palsy that my aunt and uncle adopted thinking she would be able to one day be on her own.(Didn't happen)For your end of this I know you are probably feeling like your gonna lose your mind and can't deal with another second of it. It is such a taxing deal when you are daily taking care of someone and the future doesn't offer much change from that.On the other end of that your poor wife has to feel somewhat stuck in the middle bc for one taking care of him is all she knows and second it is her son which even a parent with a "normal" child feels protective,defensive of you can probably double those feelings for a parent of someone "special" bc they HAVE to be the defenders and the never ending parent. I know you AND your wife need a break just to enjoy eachother and honestly with rest comes a new found energy to keep going. I agree fully with just-a-mom in looking into respite and look into the recreational centers/ymca's near you. That is where my uncle would go for all kinds of activites that had people dealing with the same issues. These things will open free time for you and your wife and give way to letting her be okay with her son spreading his wings!