You are here

Should I buy a sippy cup?

Tm's picture

SS17 has horrible habits because well mommy did everything for him. He has been filling giant cups of water  and taking it to his room, putting it down on the carpet and letting it spill all over and won't clean it up. This has been going on for a month now, we have asked him to stop bringing water in the room. I'm ready to stop saying anything and let my husband handle it. Would it be silly to buy him a sippy cup because that's honestly what I want to do lol. Fill your sippy cup up and take it in your room all you want.

ESMOD's picture

When you say "we".. do you mean "you"?  Does your husband care? really care.. or just going along with what you are saying.. because it seems like if his child is doing something HE did not want to be done.. he would do something about it right?

And.. there are options for the kid that aren't sippy cups (though I get  your petty point there).. tons of water bottles.. cups with lids.. all would be a potential solution.. would the kid use them?

Tm's picture

He has spoken to him last night and again today. We are exhausted from repeating the same crap over and over and yes it was petty but that's just how I feel.

Winterglow's picture

Why is he putting a glass down on a carpet in the first place? Doesn't he have a table, nightstand, desk?

I agree with ESMOD about other options - I would go with a travel mug.

Tm's picture

He has a nightstand and doesn't put the water on it. I was being petty, I'm aware there are several options I'm just fed up.

Crspyew's picture

I carry one with me all day.  He's a teenage so probably doesn't see why it's such a big deal.  This must be so frustrating for you and it might be best to let your DH handle for your own sanity.

Tm's picture

Yea I get that but he doesn't see it's damaging our carpet and continues to do it over and over. I'm pretty much done with saying anything I'm throwing in the towel.

PetSpoiler's picture

My 12yo takes cups of whatever to his room and is more careful. He does occasionally spill his drinks though and is made to clean it up.  Accidents happen.  He may be doing it to annoy you.  He can either not be allowed to take drinks out of the kitchen or you two can make it a rule that he is only allowed to use cups with lids, such as a water bottle.  My son has a few of those and likes them. 

la_dulce_vida's picture

#1 Disappear any "giant cups" immediately. If he brings one home, make it disappear. When he asks where they went, put a clueless look on your face and say, "No idea."

#2 Purchase sports bottles that don't spill (you have to suck on them to get the water out)

#3 It's just water. Yes, it's not good to have wet carpet (mold, etc.) but, once again, it's just water.

I think you have a lot of other frustrations and this one is taking on greater significance due to the other problems.