You are here

SD12 Suspended Again

RisingtheWave80's picture

I don't understand, I think it's finally time for me to at least talk to her. She has missed a significant amount of school this year (Illiness, BO lets her stay home, leaving for headaches and suspension) so her grades have declined, she is failing a few classes right now. She was suspended again today from school because of a fight, last time it was for 3 days because she told off a teacher. She is a good kid, she is now in therapy and she seems to be doing better but then these episodes at school. I have mentioned in previous post she was dealing with some bullying and other issues but as far as she will tell us that seems to not be the case anymore. But I am not sure we can trust that we know everything. She understands her dad is strict (or at least more so than her mother) so she is USUALLY on her best bahavior at our house. But this happened on a day she was with us, so?

At this rate she made need to stay back (repeating the 7th grade is possibly the worst thing that can happen, I would think in the world of a 12 year old) or summer school (but if she is failing multiple classes this may not be an option) She DOESN'T like being at her school for whatever reason, which I hope to have a discussion with her about. 

I am not sure how to help, I care about her, I have a pretty good relationship with her but I really want to see her do better. 

ndc's picture

It sounds like school isn't a safe or pleasant place for her at the moment.  She is definitely showing signs of school avoidance with all the absences, and with getting in fights, telling off teachers and some history of bullying, I think you need to dig deeper, especially if telling off adults and getting in fights is not her normal behavior outside of school.  In addition to talking to her, someone (her dad?) should be making an appointment with the school to meet the counselor/social worker/teachers to try to figure out what's going on.  What is she in therapy for?

She started therapy after the assult by a male classmate a few months back. She had two SI assessments because she stated "it would be better if she was dead" comments but she exhibits no other signs of depression, she is active with friends, activities and so on. It seems like she likes her therapist and looks forward to going to therapy. The school requested assessments for an IEP which my SO was on the fence with but that IEP may help keep her in school and provide additional resources for her so maybe it's not the worst idea. 

Found out more about this fight, appears that another girl said hi to SD12's boyfriend (they are in 7th grade, ugh) and she went after her. Then the teacher seperated them, brought her to the principals office and she got up and went back after this girl. This is so out of character for her, I don't even know how to get out of her the truth to all of these actions. I care about her and right now I am concerned and disappointed. She more or less begged to be able to go back to BM's house once my SO got home from work and he was too tired to fight it so he brought her to her moms which I am not sure was the best idea. I think a lot of her issues stem from BO's toxic behaviors. But BO will treat her suspension as a vacation and dad will not

Rags's picture

Military School!!!!  They will chew this kid up and spit her out a polite, well behaved, high performance individual.

Young Cadet leaders under the supervision of professional leaders and educators operating within highly structured systems and traditions of a hundred + years are adept at taking cocky agressive kids like this head case and turning them into snivvling, wimpering, crying and scared kids then building them into confident young people of character and performing members of the community.

It is worth a look. 

Her mother would never allow this, also was suspended again this Monday for swearing at a teacher. This seems to be snowballling at this point.