You are here

Rant about lack of respect and credit.

BigEasy1203's picture

Okay, so I have a SD who is 16 and a SS who is almost 14. I have been in both of their lives since they were about 10 and 7 respectively.

So I would say we have a decent overall relationship. I have posted about them before in another thread so I won't go into all of it again. Bottom line is that they both disrespect where I grew up, my values, etc -- and to keep the peace I bite my toungue, looking forward to the day that they will be out on their own.

Anyway, the latest thing that has really been bugging me is this:

My wife has three guy friends she has known for a long time. One of these friends was a part of my SD's life when she was small, but since she has moved here (in 2006) she has only seen this friend in the couple of times he has visited. They never talk on the phone or communicate otherwise. She never even met the other two of these men until moving here, and has spent very small amounts of time with them. All three of the men live in different states and visit maybe once a year or so.

Up until recently my SD would call these men "uncles" which was fine. None are really her uncle, but whatever, I know that's a pretty common thing. What got under my skin was when I started seeing a lot of Facebook and Twitter postings about these guys being her "dads" also. I was included in that group as one of her dads, but when I started to really think about it, it did bug me.

I mean here are three guys that have maybe spent a total of a couple of weeks total with my SD in the last 6 years. I really don't feel like any are particularly close with her either. They never communicate unless they are actually visiting. I mean, I'm the one that gives her rides to friend's houses and everywhere else she needs. I'm the one that spends tons of my hard-earned money on food, clothing, supplies, gas and whatever else she needs. I'm the one that's there when she is upset about the latest breakup or conflict with friends. I'm the one that will be helping her with college expenses. I'm the one that has to deal with all her teenage drama and hearing how much she hates living here and can't wait to move far away. Yet, I guess I am on the same level to her as these guys that she barely knows.

I suppose it could be worse, I could be the "hated stepparent" and not even fit into the "dad" category. Yet, to me it just kind of puts it into perspective. We will likely never have a relationship like a bio father/daughter would have. It's almost like those situations you hear about where someone is adopted and raised by someone, and when they get to be a teenager they find their bio parent and establish a relationship with them, and think it's so great ... meanwhile the real parents that actually raised the child wonder if he/she will ever realize that the bio-parent was never there for them their whole life but all is just forgiven.

What do you guys think? Am I overreacting by being upset over this?

herewegoagain's picture

Sorry, but were they her "uncles" cause mom dated them? If so, the bigger issue is with your wife.

ThatGirl's picture

I agree with everyone else, your wife needs to explain to her that it's inappropriate. These male friends should do the same. My sons had friends who would try to call me Mom, but I always set them straight.

BigEasy1203's picture

I guess I left out some important information. One of the guys is gay, one is married (and has been for a long time), the other guy is single and never been married. In any case I trust my wife totally in that respect. I do not have any reason to believe she has or would ever cheat on me.

I guess the root issue is that I feel annoyed that the SD doesn't see that our relationship is different than these friends. Maybe they can be "role models" or whatever, but they have done nothing to be considered a "dad" to her.

ThatGirl's picture

But still, Mom and friends need to explain to her that it's inappropriate for her to call them Dad, as they aren't and never have been father figures. It's also not appropriate for her to act so familiar with people that she hasn't spent much time with.

Jsmom's picture

She has a Dad and SD, these guys do not need the title. She needs to make that known to her child and to them. THis is inappropriate. They can be glorified "uncles", but Dad is not right....

Doubletakex3's picture

I've been on both side of the fence in a step relationship. My SM married my dad when I was 8, after my mother was killed. And, due to a curse she put on me (ha!), I've now been in 2 relationships where I've been a SM. I love my SM and we are VERY close. I would do anything for her. However, I don't have the same feeling for her as I do for biological family. I can't explain it. I don't expect my skids (two of whom are now adults) to love me like a parent, and they don't. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a skid to equate you to a biological parent - even if you are light years ahead of the biodad.

Everyone has their own experiences but that's what I've concluded based on mine.

instantfamily's picture

I can totally understand why you're hurt and probably ticked. I would be, too. I haven't read your other post so don't know if Birth Father is in the picture but from your explanation here it doesn't sound like he is. My perspective is that they are teenage girls and teen girls like nothing more than male attention (or just bragging about it). They will brag about having two dads if they're kids of divorce and both dads spoil them or just one does and the other provides a good home (as it sounds like you have).
I remember in High School my girlfriend bragged about how many women from the (insert famous sports team here) her dad had been dating/screwing. She literally had a poster of the sports team's dance squad up in her bedroom and circled the ones her birth dad had "dated". She had a wonderful stepdad and bragged about how special he thought she was and all the things he did for her. I'm sure it hurt her stepdad that she bragged about all the crap her birthdad bought her, etc. It's not exactly the same- your male competition isn't even related- but it seems like typical (obnoxious) teen girl attention seeking behavior.
I do agree with the women up above, though, that mom should speak to her and tell her it's inappropriate and completely disrespectful to you. Perhaps if she hears how much it's hurt your feelings she will think about her behavior.