You are here

Planting seeds of doubt...this is popcorn worthy!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

SheSloth got screamed at last night! It was an awesome show, I do have to say.

It all started going down at 11 p.m. This is typical in our house...if there is going to be a blow up, it is going to happen when I need to go to sleep and when I have to be up really early the next morning! Regardless...DH gets a TEXT from SheSloth (who is in her room), "I need to be at the homecoming pep rally tomorrow night by 6". DH hits the roof! He goes to the kitchen, and demands SheSloth come out and talk about this. DH lays into her how he is tired about finding out about everything last minute. He asks her when she knew about this pep rally, and SheSloth claims she didn't know until about an hour ago when the guard captain texted her with what they need to wear. DH starts in with her that he finds it really strange that he had two kids in the same high school over the course of the last 9 years (there was a break of one year in there between BD23 and BS19), one being in the very same band that SheSloth is in now with the very same director, and one being in football. NEVER in all that time have there been the communication issues that he is seeing with SheSloth!!! So what is it? The teachers aren't communicating any more, or is SheSloth not paying attention? SheSloth insists that she does pay attention, and that she really didn't know about the pep rally until about an hour ago.

Get your popcorn, coffee, wine, trail mix, etc...this is where it is getting ready to get good!!!!

So, DH starts asking SheSloth how she plans on getting to the school and back home again, because both he and I are supposed to be at praise team practice at church tonight. SheSloth says that she can probably get a friend to bring her home, and that she will just stay after up at the school because she has to help Art Club finish there banner for the pep rally tonight. WHAT?! You just said you just found out about the pep rally an hour ago!!! DH catches this, and says, "Wait a minute! I'm going to ask you again!!! When did you FIRST know about this pep rally tomorrow night?" SheSloth suddenly realizes that she got caught in a lie! "Well, I knew ABOUT it about 2 weeks ago, but I never got any of the details." At this point DH shakes his head, "So you are trying to tell me that you knew about this 2 weeks ago, and didn't bother to check with the guard captain or coach to see if you needed to be there AND you didn't bother to ask anyone in Art Club for the details?" More arguing back and forth at this point. DH is getting really ticked off at this point.

Conversation continues as DH tries to get more information about the pep rally...what is SheSloth doing and when, when will she be done, etc. Many of these questions go unanswered, as SheSloth says, "Well, I don't know what all I'm doing! I mean, I'm supposed to be doing something with ASL club, I'm supposed to be doing something with Art Club, and I'm supposed to be doing something with color guard...I don't know how this is going to work." PUT THE BRAKES ON! DH catches on to this, too. "You mean to tell me that THREE groups you are involved in at school are part of this pep rally and you somehow didn't get ANY information about dates, times, ANYTHING? IS YOUR HEAD STUCK THAT FAR UP YOUR ASS!" In other words, this is the point where the light goes on in DH's head, and he realizes that SheSloth has been flip-flopping her entire story about when she knew about this event (which we did verify on the school web site). LIES! SheSloth seriously didn't have anything to say at this point! I can't remember the last time I saw her completely speechless!

Conversation goes on about SheSloth not paying attention to anything, etc. DH asks about Winter Guard...does SheSloth have any information about that yet. She claims the captain is still planning the entire season...what events they will go to, etc. DH tells her, "Wait a minute...she can't do that! cannot sign you all up for anything...she isn't authorized to as it requires money for fees that the school pays...only the director and coach can sign you up!" This part of the converation goes on for about 15 minutes just by itself, as it goes from the guard captain is planning the whole thing to "Oh, well Mr. P gave her a list of the events he and the captain signed us up for, and she is supposed to go to their web sites and print off information for us." Hmmmm...that is very different than she is planning the whole season by herself! At this point, DH realizes that SheSloth may not have been quite honest with him about the guard captain, and most of the other things happening in guard...that SheSloth is just trying to stir up drama...and he tells her, "So I guess from here on out, I need to throw out at least half of what you tell me about guard!" SheSloth tries to argue that maybe she just isn't using the right words to describe things. Oh really?!

SheSloth I think is seriously this || close to having to quit guard! Best part of it, those seeds of doubt are not placed in DH's mind about things that SheSloth tells him! PRICELESS!!

kathc's picture

Your DH needs to tell her to resign. She can't be bothered to let him know about things,then she doesn't get to participate.

@GoAwayPlz and dtsyblnd....Exactly! I was in marching band. BD23 was in marching band 4 years under this very same director. Marching season summer schedule would be handed out last week of school. Marching season schedule handed out during summer band (as some competition information wasn't finalized until June/July). Concert band schedules started going out in October (which included Christmas concerts).

BS19 was in football. Season schedules were mailed to every player's parent end of June! That include 2-a-day schedule for August, copy of the rule book, and letter from the head coach.

So SheSloth doesn't fool me with this crap that she isn't being told things until the last minute! She isn't paying attention, isn't communicating, etc.

@beaccountable...I agree completely! If I had say, I would tell her she isn't going...don't care if she gets in trouble with director or captain! I would make her come to praise team practice with me to make sure she doesn't go! But DH isn't as strict as I am.

Sports Fan's picture

I am laughing out loud at this. Sorry but it is so close to what we go through with skids. They never tell DH anything until the last minute and he believes them when they say they just found out. I've tried to tell him for a couple years that these things don't work that way. They are all planned and it's the kids that aren't doing their part by giving him the information.

I agree with others. She should be made to quit if she can't handle the responsibility of keeping DH informed.

Somuchdrama's picture

We went through this as well. It was BM's way of running my DH around last minute and controlling our home. "Can you pick the kid up from xyz we didn't know until just now (9:30 PM night before)". I made him put an end to that by telling her he would no longer be running kids on her time and wouldn't do it on his time without a week in advance notice.

Somuchdrama's picture

*dup

MissElphaba's picture

I did guard...winter guard...drum corps...the lot of it, indoor outdoor teaching... our calendars were done and complete with dates and times before the season started, because your DH is right - you need to apply and put forth fees for shows and competitions, especially to make sure you have enough to compete in any form of championships, plus if there's school bus transportation! My parents treated it like a job though, once I had my schedule - we planned around it...I mean, I was in high school and if they were paying for me to do it - I was all in.

Jsmom's picture

Homecoming is on the calendar when school lets out the year before. It has to be for the football schedule. This kid is disorganized as hell. She doesn't value anyone else's time and unfortunately your husband has showed her again and again, that his time is not valuable and she can tell him when she remembers. He needs to seriously make her miss one of these events and then maybe she will realize she needs to let him in on the schedule as soon as she has it.

Oh, I couldn't agree more! Just wish he had the balls to do it! However, he has yet to get that drastic with the girl!

I also agree she should be made to quit! Should have happened a long time ago. Most of the drama in guard I'm pretty sure she is the main antagonist! She has no respect for the officers, she thinks she is better than the other girls...sure, she puts on one of her fake acts at most events, but she has such disdain for all of them! One game, DH went down to let her know he was there. SheSloth was supposed to be practicing and stretching with the rest of the guard, but she instead was over chatting with other people! When the lieutenant told her to get over there to stretch, SheSloth had attitude with her and I could overhear her tell the friend that she was so tired of the officers trying to tell her what to do!

So yeah, I don't think she should be in guard at all! But...it isn't my call. So, I just refuse to help with the girl, and I've done pretty good to avoid her competitions this year.

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

Just think how much money DH would save if he didn't let SheSloth participate? Sure, she would be sitting around moping, but doesn't she do that anyway? She is such a liar. I told my DH years ago to start teaching SD19 disappointment so she would learn that not everyone would bow to her. I'll ket you know when DH takes his head out of the sand over here!

I just got 4 bags of pumpkin seeds, so that is my snack of choice for this show tonight! LOL

Ugh! So DH is skipping out on praise team practice to go to the stupid pep rally!! It pisses me off! He tried to get me to go with him, and I told him I wasn't bailing on practice. The worship leader will not be happy, as that means we don't have a sound guy tonight! SheSloth is never going to learn!!!!

Calypso1977's picture

wow....that basically completely negates the shit show from the night before.

I mean, I get why he went. From some of the stuff he said last night, I don't think he completely trusts her to come straight home with a friend and not do anything stupid. So he went to bring her home. BUT that isn't how she will see it!! No, the way she sees it, she got dear daddy to break his plans again and make her the center of his life for another moment! Like I and many have said, she shouldn't have been allowed to go to the pep rally at all, but made to come with us to praise team practice and left to sit and wait on us! This still worked out in her favor, so she will learn nothing, and next time it will be the same crap!

Yup, Sally...similar to the rules with bios. Even my ex had to comply with similar rules. I got tired of driving all the way to his house to drop off BS19 (because the man for some reason could not come get him), only to be told, "Oh, I can't take him this weekend" or be told by the girlfriend "He's not here. He's out of town for work" (which I always found funny, because he always claimed lack of work for his reason for not paying his child support). I would then have to deal with a crying child all the way home, because he wanted to see his dad (BS19 was only about 5-9 at the time, after 9, my ex disappeared completely, and DH adopted him). I got to the point I told my ex, "Look, if you plan on having your visitation, you need to call me by the time I go to bed the Wednesday before! If you don't, I will assume no visit. That way, the kid won't have to get his hopes up, and I can actually plan a weekend!" After that, my ex called maybe 3 times for BS19, and then....POOF!

With my bios, there were a couple of exceptions to the rule. I mean, some Friday nights, they were having so much fun with their friends, that they would want to hang out after the game. As long as it was a friend I knew well, and the friend's parents (which I also knew well) were there to say it was okay, I would let my kids go spend the night. But they knew the requirements for those last minute changes to happen, and also knew if there were prior plans, they were not going to be changed...had to be weekends we didn't already have anything going.

Rags's picture

Induced chaos is a very effective form of control by kids over parents. The smell test is the cure. Parents, rather than beaming at their little darlings need to get the sniffer tuned up to detect the bullshit.

My Skid did the same thing with his mom and I his sophomore year of HS. Jr. and Sr. year he spent at military boarding school. }:) }:) }:)

He was in band, both marching and concert, which were legit and he never once missed or failed to notify us of an event. Ever. He was also supposedly on the Swim Team. We never once saw a schedule, etc... he was supposedly in practice after school every day and we picked him up after practice in the evenings. He would come out of the boys locker room with his hair wet, etc.... We finally gained clarity after his EOY party when he came home with his yearbook signed by countless kids. He tossed his year book at his mom and I on the sofa and said here I am going to shower you guys can look at my year book if you want. We browsed his year book and stumbled upon a note from a girl that commented how much fun they had goofing off at school while their idiot parents thought they were in sports. That keyed a very detailed read of the yearbook. No Skid on the swim team. But, Skid was in the Anime club and few other fringe hobby clubs that he never once mentioned. When he came out of the shower we nailed his ass to the wall for a several hour nearly all night parent interrogation session. "Oh, I was on swim team I just missed the picture day and they won't list you if you are not in the team picture". BULLSHIT! The swim team had a list of several kids not shown in the picture clearly noted as not shown in the picture. Ummmmm, uhhhhh, I don't know why I am not listed on the swim team, turning red and being offended that we don't believe him, etc, etc, etc.... hours later he bursts into tears and spills the truth. "I did not want you to be mad at me. I did not want to be on swim team this year."

Combined with marginal grades and a few pissed of teachers who called us about his sleeping in class and reading novels in class and by the smoking gun friend comment in his yearbook "I had so much fun with you plotting how to kill Mrs. XYZLMNOP this year. Maybe we can do it next year! Lol! Have a great summer." we followed through on the Military School option. I picked up the telephone and told him I was calling the police to deal with the killing the teacher bullshit. He broke down in tears and swore up and down that it was a joke and they were just kidding, blah, blah, blah...... We probably should have called 911 and reported the skid and his young lady friend for conspiring to kill teacher. But, I put the phone down and his mom and I informed him that no longer was military school just a discussion.

He had to tell all of his band friends when we were all on the Hawaii summer band trip that we had already paid for. We made him tell them exactly why he was going to military school rather than allowing him to just play the "my mom and dad are sending me to military school" victim card.

That began the transition of the Skid from a snarky manipulating liar to a very pleasant and successful young man of character.

Hopefully DH will keep his foot firmly up the manipulating little liar's ass for the duration. If he wants to outsource the kid ass kicking I would be happy to send you the info on top quality military schools some that are very affordable. }:)

Rags's picture

We actually talked about that last night after the Skid called to check in. We both laughed at the idiots we were then and how we brain farted past what in hind site should have been blantantly obvious.

I swam for 20+ years including AAU, Jr. Olympics, HS and college and I just blazed right by the Skids fabricated swim season. The pool was actually at the Middle School and for 9th grade they shuttled the HS kids to the Middle School and back to the HS after practice. We asked about meets occassionally and the Skid always had some answer that we never looked into. Both DW and I were in the throws of exciting career times, the Skid had been pretty amazing the previouse two school years and we truly had pretty much tuned out regarding the Skid and his activities. Very unlike both of us to that point. SS took full advantage of clueless mom and dad year but boy did reality beat his ass when he was dropped off at Military School at the begining of his Jr. year. He did great for that year ..... then the Sperm Idiot came knocking to have a close relationship with the Skid and he crashed in flames the first semester of his Sr. year. The Sperm Idiot hacked the school fire wall so he and the Skid could play WoW all night every night and the kid was comatose for that semester sleeping through class. But, his mom and I were fully back in tune after his Sophomore year manipulative crap and kept his nose to the pavement so that he graduated on time and with honors though at our local HS rather than the top 20 boarding school he had been at. We yanked him home at Christmas break of that year. There was not a snowballs chance in hell that we were going to sink another five figures of our money into his HS diploma for an extra year of boarding school when he let the Sperm Idiot distract him from passing the only class he had to have to graduate. In a case of karmic justice we had moved to a different state right after he left for boarding school and the graduation requirements for the new state added several more credits and classes to what he needed if he had been at Military School or at the HS he was at through his sophomore year. He needed both Sr. Eng 1&2. Helunked Eng the first semeste and Sr. Eng the class he needed to graduate. After we brought him home he also needed two math classes and two career track classes (he took two band classes to fulfill that requirement) and he had to do a Sr. project that is assigned at Christmas break of Jr. year and due in March of Sr. year. All we saw of that kid for his last semester of HS was his asshole and his elbows as he dug his way out of that very deep messy hole though his mom's foot and mine stayed firmly and repeatedly planted on his butt. The motivator was probably the very frightening meeting his mom lead when he first got home from boarding school where she scared the shit out of him followed up by a trip the the winter homeless camps under the highways in Philly. We told him we either go to his graduation ceremony at the end of the semester or we drop him off at the homeless camp to live with his new people.

No excuses, we were just overwhelmed by events and our lives got in the way of our parenting when we became complacent after his great 8th and 9th grade years.

He is doing very well as a young adult now so we dodged a major bullet with the 10th and second semester of 12th grade antics. He just turned 22yo and has finished year 3 of his first 6 in the USAF. He says he wants to do 20 and he is plugging away on his BSCS. Not at the pace his mom and I would like but his time, his dime (or at least his taxpayer provided benefits), his decisions.

Regards,