You are here

Out of our lives at 18?

breakingthroughtheinstincts's picture

Hi all, just pondering on a theme that has emerged on these forums.

Lots of people are saying 'wait 2 more years then she's out of your life', or 'not long to go'. What do people imagine when kids turn 18? They suddenly become functioning adults who can afford to house themselves and never see their parents again?

Sorry if I'm being a little blunt, but I have a SS who is 19 (and is lovely) - although he is on a paid apprenticeship there is no way he could afford to keep himself yet. I am desperately waiting that golden 2 more years to be rid of SD16, however am terrified the same thing will happen, she will still demand from us/know no different/spout the 'father's rights and responsibilities' sh*t her BM has taught her ad infinitum...

Wasn't sure if to post this here or on the legal rights page, but just wanted people's feedback on what our real financial/emotional responsibilities are to our SKs (and our SOs!) when the kids turn 18? If the SKs are vile, sociopathic monsters won't it make things worse if we turf them out?

Thanks xxx

hereiam's picture

You are right, there is nothing magical about turning 18. Legally, yes, they are adults and parents do not HAVE to house them anymore but I don't know anybody who has kicked their kid out on their 18th birthday.

Rags's picture

Few parents have to kick their kids out at 18. Most head off to college or get a job and get a place with a bunch of friends. Some on their own dime, some on some level of parental funding. However, if the kid has an attitude problem or can't be pleasant and comply with family and household behavioral standards then 18 and out is certainly a parental option that the kid can either comply with standards or GTFO as they are told. A simple choice that some kids seem to struggle with and sadly so do many parents.

People rarely change. By 18 most people are personality wise who they are going to be. Sure, they may mature, their frontal cortex likely will finish what it needs to do and some kids make some improvements but true change of personality and character is unlikely. It is up to a parent what they will tolerate from an 18+yo and it no longer in the hands of the 18+yo or CPS as to what the parental options are.

That I think is the whole 18 and out transition point decision.

Disneyfan's picture

I never hear this 18 and out mess until I started reading here. Heck, I never even heard of cleaning out kids rooms when they go off to college until I joined steptalk.

notasm3's picture

Really? My mother cleaned out my room when I went off to college. And this was an intact home and no issues between any of us.

I stayed there summers when I came home. And at Christmas. But I was a guest. I thought that's what everyone did.

louiseGr's picture

Sadly that doesnt happen often.
I chose to leave about that age, maybe just before i was 18. I had my life to lead and felt hemmed in at parents. Im guessing my step kids wont leave until they are well and truly ready.....sadly. i think they may do uni and theyn they will return, with debts and as useless as ever = my SS17 anyway!!

Sootica's picture

I think it's a way to try and keep sane if there appears to be an end in sight. I'm also counting down the years until SS turns 18, however realistically he probably will not be able to stand on his own 2 feet,what will most likely happen however is that SS may not want to be living 50/50 between BM & us anymore.If he ends up living with BM -good riddance-however as she is the type of person to kick him out the minute CS stops he will most likely end up here with us.In that case he will be treated as an adult,he will pay board (whatever he can afford it's the principle that counts he needs to learn responsibility even if it's an absolute pittance that's fine by me) and he will be responsible for his own washing,room cleaning ect.Like any lodger really,if this doesn't go down too well he is more than free to leave.I will not get into arguements with DH over it however,or if DH wants to clean up after him that is fine too,but it won't be me.I've lived in enough house shares in my youth to know how to deal with pesky housemates.

Rags's picture

The deal is that at 18, if you choose it to be, they are no longer your problem. Your call. Of course decent kids who comply with family and household behavioral standards can remain in familial good standing and if you and their dad are amenable may even be able to stay in a position to receive family support and family provided resources.

But at 18 or HS graduation whichever is later if the kid is adequately performing in school, you nor any parent are obligated to provide shit for nothin if you choose not to.

When my SS graduated from HS at 17 his mom and I gave him the summer until his 18th birthday on our time and our dime to sow his oats. When he turned 18 at the end of the summer following graduation he had a choice, be in college or get a job. We told him clearly that we would pay the full meal deal mom and dad scholarship at any school he wanted to go to and could get accepted at. He was clear. He did not think he was ready to study and told us that it would be a waste of his time and our money. So we said "GET A JOB!!!" He was not interested. So we gave him a job. He was our beck and call boy/chore bitch. We worked that kid's ass off. He scrubbed bathrooms, sinks, toilets, floors, windows, base boards, fences, brick, garage floors, scraped, painted, prepped, cooked, weeded, cut, trimmed, washed, dried, folded, put away, polished, etc... and then it did it all over again. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week except for cooking and cleaning the kitchen. Those he did 7 days a week. When we went out to dinner, he could go with us, when we went on a weekend trip, he could go with us. But, during work hours he worked or he was left on the front step in his sleepwear until we got home from work. That got the point across. If he did not get each and every chore he was assigned on the chore calendar every day, he was out of the house when we left for work and he could not have his key. If he did get his chores done then he could retain access to the house though the cable TV and internet were switched off when his mom and I left the house for work and it stayed off until we got home.

So, in answer to your question. IMHO a parent owes nothing to an 18yo or older kid. Nothing is what they get until they earn it to parental expectations and standards. Unless that kid complies with the established behavioral expectations of the home and family and the stipulated performance requirements for that now "adult" kid to retain access to the family home and resources. No compliance ....... then the kid can GTFO and figure it out on their own.

Skids or BKs, there is no difference in expectation or compliance. The difference is that the discussion in regards to Skids is between the SParent and the BioParent of the Skid, for the BK, no further discussion is required if the BP says their spawn is out then the spawn is out. For a Skid, there is a greater requirement for discussion since a Sparent should be very wary of uniformly booting a Skid when the Skid turns 18.

With my Skid he decided that being our unpaid live in chore bitch was not to his liking so after 4ish months he enlisted in the USAF on delayed entry until his USAF specialty opened up and he reported to BMT 4mos after enlisting. He remained our beck and call boy/chore bitch until his reported to the MEPS to ship out for basic. We did buy him a new car as a combo HS graduation/18th b-day/enlistment/Christmas present in Dec of that year. He reported to BMT in April of the following year.

We did not kick him out and we did not tolerate him riding sofa rodeo in our home doing nothing. He clearly learned that he had responsibilities to himself and the household that he could either step up and engage on what he wanted to do (school or work) or failing that what we demanded of him.

He finished year 4 of his initial 6 year USAF enlistment in the Spring, turned 23 at the end of the summer, just got his line number for promotion to E5, and is working on his BS in a slow but steady manner. All in all our plan and motivation strategy for him is working out just fine. }:) Blum 3 In late breaking news he just got notification that he will be mobilized for a deployment. He can't say to where or what he will be doing. Top Secret and all. But he assures us that it is not to a dangerous location and that he will get a great tan. As a computer geek it is not likely that he will be anywhere particularly dangerous. At least that is our hope.

Parents often forget that they are not in the parent business to make their kids happy, to be their kid's buddy or BFF, but that they are responsible to themselves, their children, and society to raise their children to viable adulthood. So if it takes 18 and out to make happen, then that is what a parent's responsibility is. For some kids it may not be a viable or necessary option, for others it may be the only thing that clearly delivers the message that the kid is responsible for their own decisions and performance.

All IMHO of course.

Rags, that is fantastic... I am going to dream sweet dreams of my vile SD cleaning the fireplace... I might even nickname her 'Cinders' as she definitely has a Cinderella complex (stepmom so horrible, hates me, criticises me). Thank you!

Hope your SS stays safe and doesn't come back with tales of how he saved the entire human population like my SS24 did when he joined the territorial army.. he was dishonorably discharged and never left the UK!

Forthelifeoftheparty's picture

I wish my dad had been that way with me. I was coddled and always welcomed home because it was a way for him to keep me from growing up. I swear, after I graduated from college and didn’t find my dream job (because i was an idiot who had no solid post-college plan) i moved back home. A couple of attempts “moving out” were really just me shacking up with my latest bf. It was very depressing and my dad was no help. I wanted to take a job abroad once. He threatened me with all the horrible potential. I almost joined the military. But I got a speech from dad about how “it wasn’f for me”. No support whatsoever when it came to me wanting to grow the Heck up. I swear, he wanted me to live in that house and be a little girl forever. It almost worked! 

Now that I’m a mom I see how ridiculous coddling is and I DO NOT want to ever make my DS feel like he is “too special” to accomplish things. 

I still struggle to this day with life skills I should’ve learned years ago. WHY DO PARENTS HOLD THEIR CHILDREN BACK? This is so sad!

I see the same happening for SS17. He plans to live at home with his mommy during college. Coddled 100%

Rags's picture

As an Engineer I focus on the simple and effective.  No one is special IMHO. Only performance is special.  For damned sure anyone who does not perform is absolutely not special.

I cringe when people start with the "my kid is so special and amazing" stories. Nope, your drooling toddler who just took their first steps isn't special... yet.  Sure, they are cute and they even make my heart swell but... I reserve special for something that damn near every other kid at that age isn't doing.  If a person's 15mo old is playing Chopin or proofing Einstein's theory of Relativity ... that is special.  Drooling and toddling around... while cute and important.... isn't special.

I too struggled with launching.  My struggle was not in  failing to spread my wings but in spreading them too far without focus and a plan.  So.... about a decate and a third  after HS graduation I finally finished my BS and put myself in the position of having a shot at figuring it out.  25 years later... I am still figuring it out but... it is looking pretty good so far.  And even in my overly critical mind... periodically during the process even I have been special.  Sometimes.

You are raising children from the foundation of your own experiences.  They will not be limited by you perpetrating the same behaviors towards them that your dad did towards you.  That is special.  You are improving on your own experiences as you parent your children.

Don't beat yourself up.

The post that you responded to is a few years old.  The Skid update is that he re-enlisted when they offered  him 3yrs in Germany and is approaching his 8yr point in the USAF.  He will re-enlist with the intent of doing 20+. At least that is what he told us last week.  He has a plan, he is working the plan and he makes his mom and I proud.  So... all in all the litmus test of our parental effiveness is holding up... so far.

Take care of you.

Monchichi's picture

For us it's not when Chucky stops needing. It's the magic age jabba can no longer screw DH. The kid I think will need financial aid another 2 years while we sort him out a trade.

onthefence2's picture

I don't think it's fair to compare what life was like when we were 18 (that was over 25 years ago!) College costs have gone through the roof, and if you've paid any attention, you know it's not paying off. I got my 4 year degree at what just one year costs these days. I've told my kids they are welcome to stay home to save money while taking college courses and/or working. If they get a full ride they can go where that takes them. But they know I won't have money for college, so they will have to get scholarships and put themselves through (I would not encourage a loan at this point). So if they can save a few hundred a month on rent, then I can at least do that for them.

But I'm not married. Nor do I see any benefit at this point to bringing someone into our lives that will dictate how this is all going to go down. I think it's crazy to marry or remarry when you have kids. Just crazy. And I learned this from you all. I only come here to remind myself of why I'm still single. And I feel sorry for you all...I was a stepmom once and men who have never been a step have no idea what they are getting themselves into. It just isn't worth it. But good luck, seriously, I should pray for you guys LOL

Rags's picture

You are absolutely right IMHO. The issue is not that a college degree is less valuable or viable than it used to be. The issue is that far too many kids are told their entire childhood that they are special and can be anything they want to be and will be a great success at whatever they choose. The fact is that not all of them are special and the ones that are special are the ones that perform well, make good decisions, and put forth a quality effort. These are also usually the ones that actually do some research on degrees that have the best projected job markets for the duration of their careers and then get degrees that have value in the job market and the most likely conduit for that kid to have a decent quality of life and standard of living.

Interestingly these are not the kids of little character who are whining about not being able to get jobs or about massive school loan debt and begging to have their voluntarily applied for and accepted loans forgiven.

The whiners are usually the "special" kids who majored in Women's Studies, or Interdisciplinary Studies, or Fine Arts Appreciation or some such non job market crap. Don't get me wrong. I am big on any education but not all degrees are created equal. People who choose majors without an associated longer term viable job market should be accountable for that decision and the consequences associated with that decision.

I am fully supportive of a young person who is working towards a degree living at home, saving money, and earning their way as they go. I was on the 11yr undergrad plan myself. I finished my BSEE two weeks after I turned 30. I was in class at least part time every semester for that entire 11 years. I also started, grew, and sold a business. Got married, got divorced. Moved 1750 miles to start engineering school after I realized that dad had something with his recommendation to major in engineering. After all, the engineers are nearly always working while the Lib Arts majors often are waiting tables. So, when I was 20 hours from my BA in Economics I changed majors, transferred to a different university, moved across three states, and took another 3 years to finish my engineering degree.

I can't say it will definitely be a total success but it is looking good so far more than 21 years after graduation.

Exactly - although (as you have done) then even if the education is 'non job market' then as long as the adolescent/person is passionate about that subject and benefitting from the education then I am supportive of that. SS19 went to 'rock school' for 2 years 16-18yo - he literally learned to play in a band (government funded, can you believe it?). My DH was very supportive so I let go of my traditional disdain and guess what, he is now one year into an engineering apprenticeship, incredibly hard working and earning (a little) of his own money. We have supported him all through this and I am pleased to say he is a more rounded human for the experience.

Rags's picture

You and DH are parents who set expectations and held SS-19 to them. He won the parent lottery. Congrats on raising a young man of character, dedication, and discipline. I too am supportive of any education. College teaches critical thinking and even if the particular degree is not marketable their are skills that even kids that major in THOSE majors can't help but learn.

What irks me is the ones that take out massive school loans, party on more than half of that money, get a worthless degree, then cry and whine and want their loans forgiven.

Nope, they pay just like anyone who borrows money. They pursued the loans, the signed and deposited the check, they owe the money. Is because of people like this that school loans are not forgivable under bankruptcy law. Only instead of useless degrees many students in the 70s and early 80s were getting law degrees or MDs and then filing for bankruptcy during internships and residency when they were make little to no money. Then they were going on to high paying careers after having much of their school loan debt forgiven.

I am a huge supporter of the current exclusion of school loan debt in bankruptcy proceedings. The tax payers including kids who got viable degrees should not be stuck with this debt. The students who made the poor decision should be held accountable for that decision.

Thank you for the compliment Rags, I don't think it's ever been put like that but means a lot.

Forgive my English ignorance, but what exactly is a 'school loan'? Do the banks actually lend money to children/adolescents? We have a 'student loan' that is government subsidised - interest/repayment is not chargeable until salary reaches a certain amount after university and always kept at the bank base rate as it is a non-profit way of lending to young adults who are serious about their studies. I don't think any UK banks would lend significant amounts to an 18 year old?

Rags's picture

We have gov't subsidized school loans also. Those however are only a part of the education finance picture in the US. We also have private school loans not subsidized by the gov't. We also have need based gov't grants that do not need to be paid back at all.

The issue we are having is that many university age kids take out loans for school, both gov't and private, to cover not only tuition but also room, board, and anything else they want. This money is not forgivable under bankruptcy laws in the US so now we have millions of university graduates that owe a combined $1Trillion+ and now are whining about how they can't get jobs, can't afford their loans, whaaaaaaaa, cry, cry, cry.

Many of these kids also have parents who have cosigned for loans and taken out parent school loans for their children. So there is growing wave of characterless borrowers who now want their loans forgiven. The issue IMHO is that they want to have their loans forgiven while retaining their degrees. IMHO they should not have the option of forfeiting the loans but if our legislature does cave to that crap I hope it includes a requirement for the universities to disallow the degree that the defaulted borrower scammed their sheep skin from.

Just me venting. No ignorance on your part.

Not at all, I agree - good to learn responsible borrowing, not good learning to play the system/lean on parents when they F*** up.

notasm3's picture

Most are not saying kick them out of your life at 18 no matter what. But that at 18 you have an option that did not exist earlier.

Who in their right mind wants to allow a lazy filthy obnoxious person with no job to sit on their ass in their home while they have to take care of them? At 18 you are no longer obligated to feed and shelter assholes in your home.

notasm3's picture

dup

I think you're all right - at 18 there is a fork in the path for SKs. They can be supported by us if they are civil, respectful and grateful. If they choose not to show this adult behaviour then life becomes harder for them - they should be asked to pay board/lodgings and look after themselves more if they choose to remain under your roof. Even this can cause problems - my cousin still has her BS22 living with her, she looks after his money/cooks for him etc (even though he pays rent). His SD is suffering as SS is always looking for ways to corrupt their relationship - they have had to go to couples counseling... surprise surprise the son is now being asked to move out!

(SD = Stepdad in this case, just read that again and sounds like the boy has a stepdaughter!!)

stepinafrica's picture

It usually takes a couple of years for them to move out and even then, they will still have the ability to create drama. Unless they PAS out.

Just looking up PAS.. never heard of it before, this is exactly what is happening to us! Once again, thank you stepmums!

boozlendidsmom's picture

What is PAS?

When my step-son turned 18 and finished high school, he moved in with his mother full-time (rather than continuing to split his time in half between the two houses). At that point, there was no longer a joint custody arrangement. 3 1/2 years until SD can do the same. Oh yes, I am definitely counting on it!

PAS (I think) is parental alienation syndrome, where the child (consciously or subconsciously) is turned against one parent by the other - often just aligning themselves with one not because of any hate campaign. They see the parent they want to alienate as the source of all their problems, have an irrational hatred towards them and seem to be completely oblivious to the support and love that parent gives them.

It isn't recognised as an actual psychological disorder, so it seems there is no treatment for the child or resolution for the injured parent - we just have to live with the pain.

Don't you think it's sad that you/your SO don't see your stepson? As much as I hate her, the thought of my DH being deprived of a daughter when she turns 18 is incredibly painful for me.

boozlendidsmom's picture

Oh, we still see him. He usually comes over for dinner once a week and sometimes he and his dad walk dogs together. His mother's house is within walking distance of our house. And we all get along just fine, now that he's out of the house.

That sounds a really healthy relationship! Crossing fingers this can happen for us xx

lorlors's picture

As DH pays for everything for the SKs (15 and 13) and BM pays nothing (NOT ONE FRICKING BEAN AND NEVER HAS)we are financially cutting both of them off when they reach 18 or leave high school, whichever is the later date. As DH has paid for everything since their birth, if BM wants to step up and pay for them, then that is up to her. DH is DONE once each of them reaches this point. My sanity is hinged on this happening. I have discussed with DH how happy I will feel to end the payments once and for all, cut health insurance, EVERYTHING. What I am looking forward to the most is BMs war cry and shocked response when this happens. AHAHAHAHA I hate that whining money grabber something rotten.

still learning's picture

I hope you get your wish. Depending on the state you live in and terms of your CO you could still be on the hinge for 1/2 college expenses and have to keep them on your ins till age 26. Plan now, have them look into the armed services, job corps, americorps, etc.

Rags's picture

We never kicked SS-23 out of our home. In fact we purposely physically picked him up from his last CO'd Sperm Clan visitation a few days after his 18th birthday. He asked his mom and I if he could stay an extra week and have his bday in Sperm Land with the Sperm Clan. We of course agreed. But....we wanted to damned sure force him to tell us face to face if he chose to stay in Sperm Land after his 18th birthday.

We picked him up at Sperm GrandHag's place, no drama. A few days later after some time with my IL clan we started an epic three of us road trip through OR, NV, Utah, AZ, NM, and TX stopping at some very cool places. Early on that trip he got a bit quiet and eventually asked if we had thought he was going to tell us that he was not coming home. We told him that we had some concerns about that possibility. His response was something along the lines of .... I know where my home is, who wmy family is, and where I belong mom and dad. I know I frustrate you sometimes but with you as parents I couldn't be that stupid.

Nearly 5 years later he asked me to adopt him. After he had launched, established a progressing career, and had worked through his struggles with how he fit into the Sperm Clan.

18 and out should be a considered process developed for use with specific kids if that makes the most sense based on that kid's needs, behaviors, and what it will take to movitate them to take the right steps toward self supporting viable adulthood.

IMHO of course.

BigEasy1203's picture

It depends. Our stepdaughter moved out at 18 to go to school. So, that definitely made things better for me. However, it brought on a whole new set of problems.

pinkb's picture

I can only share my situation... my husband and I got married when the SS was 16. All the stories were "we only have two more years before we can live on our own, save for our retirement and he will be off to college paying for himself".

Last lasted until the first pre-Freshman year tuition was due. My husband hadn't saved a penny. The kids Uncle picked up the first semester "just to help out". Bless his heart he didn't expect us to pay it back. Second semester Daddy (my husband) who at the time was UNEMPLOYED paid tuition with all of his unemployment before he paid the mortgage. As the only breadwinner you know where the rest of tuition came from (me). After that he shortly announced that "he" was paying for ALL of college "come hell or high water". I was not consulted and I am left paying the remainder of the household bills that he can't pay because tuition gets paid before all else. Because my husband had recently received a significant pay hike, I figured I could live with it. He has now received a 3/5 pay cut and its time for tuition to be paid again. I know the fighting will begin soon.

I'm not making any suggestions on what you should do. Just understand that 18 is NOT a magic number. And, though I do not believe my husband intentionally lied to me (though my family members disagree to the point that they are largely estranged) he didn't want to say "no" to his child and didn't want to say "no" to me. When the rubber hit the road, he is 48yo with less than $2,000 in retirement. So, all I'd say is know what you may be up against.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst... don't be surprised if you get it. I did.

mathfed's picture

Things definitely changed when my youngest SS turned 18.  He had grown up being able to maninpulate his mother into giving into whatever he wanted or demanded.  When he was a minor, he used that status to intimidate my wife (his mom) and to get his way.  If she didn't do what he wanted, he would go into rages and become really abusive, knowing that his mother wouldn't make him leave.  He would threaten to go and live with his dad if she wouldn't give him what he wanted.  My wife took years of abuse from him before she and I were together.  I came into the picture when he was about 15 1/2, and that treatment of his mother came to a screeching halt.  I refused to stand aside and watch him treat my wife like that.  When we'd try to hold him accountable for something, he'd eventually leave to live with his dad.  When things with his dad blew up, he'd want to move back with us.  This happened a few times, him bouncing  back and forth to avoid responsibility for anything.  Things eventually got so bad that we wouldn't allow him back in the house, even though he wasn't 18 yet.  He was just too dangerous to be around.  When he gets angry, he loses control of himself. He's gotten violent, putting his fists and feet through the walls when asked to mow the grass, for example.  He spent most of the year between his 17th and 18th birthday in a boarding home out of state.  He was essentially in state custody until his 18th birthday because he turns life upside down wherever he is at.  No one, family or otherwise, could handle living with him for very long.  He needed help, but wouldn't accept any and would fight like hell to avoid it.  He'd dropped out of school, wouldn't work, had no ambition to get his driver's license, developed a pretty serious drug problem, and was generally horrible to be around. 

After he turned 18, he found out pretty quickly that he no longer held the cards.  He couldn't use being a minor to try to force his way into people's homes anymore.  He surfed a few couches until he had worn out every welcome he had.  His older brother couldn't handle living with him.  He lived with some of his druggie buddies in a camp for part of a year - no job, car or anything.  Spent every day getting high.  About a year ago, he texted me that he was on a bus headed back to our house.  He was roughly 19 at the time.  I told him if he brings any drugs through our door, I am calling the cops.  He'd posted pictures of himself using drugs all over the internet, so I knew what he was into.  He blew up at me.  He told me that he is my wife's kid.  I'm just the piece of shit she married.  He said that she knows she can, and has seen her, do better than me.  He ridiculed me about my mother being dead.  I finally washed my hands of him for good.  My wife and I got into the biggest fight we ever had.  I told her that if she keeps expecting me to go along with her son turning our lives upside down and to continue taking his abuse, then I can't take it anymore.  We'll have to figure out how to end things.  She finally understood what her son had been doing to us, and that we were on the brink of divorce.  He showed up on the bus, and stayed at a friend's house.  He was there for about 2 months.  I didn't see him or say a word to him while he was here.  I won't have him around my younger sons.  My wife went to visit him, but he never came into the house.  I wasn't willing to lose being able to see my kids by allowing a violent drug addict into the house.  I blocked his phone number, and blocked any connection to him on social media.  I haven't seen him for about 3 years, and have had no contact with him at all for a little over a year.  My wife deals with him.  He doesn't come into the house.  He doesn't contact my kids.  I've made it crystal clear, to him and my wife, that I am done putting up with any of his abuse.  He's spent about a year in an addiction/mental health treatment center in California.  He's still there now.  I really don't have any contact with him now, and life is much more peaceful.  I think my wife finally grasps the kind of person her son is, and that those around him don't deserve his abuse.  He's responsible for the decisions he makes, and the consequences of those decisions.  It isn't my responsibility to step in to save her kid from ever having to face the ramifications of his actions.  That isn't what I signed up for.     

shamds's picture

But when they finish highschool parents give them 2 options (go to college/university or get a fulltime job). If you don’t know what you want to study just yet then you work fulltime if you want to live at home. Often you are required to pay $50-100 per week board and the reason for this is parents teaching their kids responsibility in managing finances and that mum cooking dinner, your laundry being done, house tidied up, electricity/water/phone and internet bills all cost money and you are expected to contribute.

this helps teach young adults that they don’t freeload, they don’t guilt parents to provide for free and pamper and cater to their every whim. They are motivated from the start to work hard, succeed in life and contribute which helps teach empathy.

this is how i was raised, my parents divorced when i was almost 18, they never remarried, my dad even let us move back home when mum had her stroke because we knew with renting a place and having to care for mum we’d be looking at sacrificing university studies and a fulltime job and dad didn’t want us sabotaging our future. He went out of his way to help us and our sick mum.

i married my husband when ss was 15.5 years old, he went to college about 5-6 months after our first child was born and university about 3 months after my son was born. The whole time he never got a job, just stayed in his room playing computer games and sleeping and dumping his trash on kitchen floor next to the bin and often ants came because of this. This whole time hubby left a stash of $20 notes in the tv cabinet where ss helped himself to buy takeaway food every day despite their being food here at home and me cooking dinner.

he was raised on crap food like mcdonalds and plain white rice and a fried chicken growing up by his lazy arsed mum who did the bare minimum. 

Once he started uni hubby told him to open a bank acct, when his eldest 2 were in uni hubby put $1000 per month as pocket money to help pay for textbooks, food and whatever essentials. After 1 yr ss mesaged his dad to say he’s buying a ps4 from this pocket money for uni. Hubby said it was a total waste of money and wasn’t happy about it as thats money for essentials. Ss still bought his ps4.

When he had 3 months after finishing college till starting uni which was when our son was born, hubby told him he was expected to help with our daughter, meaning play with her, care for her etc as i’d be busy with a newborn. He claimed he couldn’t as he’d applied for a job at kfc (his favourite junkfood takeaway place), hubby was shocked because he’s never been able to do any chores at home yet he wants to work in fast paced kfc cooking, cleaning and serving people?? 

KFC never called him for an interview and he sat in his room all day playing games and sleeping. Many moments where my son was being breastfed all day long it felt and my daughter was watching cartoons and hungry but i simply couldn’t get up and she’d see her half brother go to the kitchen to get his food, she’d be looking happy thinking yay someone is getting me food but he’d ignore her.

my husband and the exwife have raised 3 useless self centred arseholes. They have not changed and i doubt ever will. I hold hubby accountable all the time because he helped enable this behaviour and never followed theough with repercussions

hubby feels guilty kicking ss20 out of home because he has no respect for our home or anyone residing in it and treats us disrespectfully and uses it like a pitstop. 2 months ago hubby had to do a crash course in nipping this in the butt and said to ss enough is enough, your imaginary stress syndrome everytime i ask you to be decent and respectful, your excuses for everything, asking you to do chores is just ridiculous. He hasn’t been home in almost 8 weeks. He should have been home already as supposed uni breaks, but he hasn’t contacted hubby

hubby has completely disengaged and insead of his usual messages every few days to both sd22 & ss20, hubby refused to waste time sending any messages on whatsapp to check up on them. Why the sudden change? I told hubby to actually think back when those kids ever bothered to check up on him, make the effort to call or message him to see how he and us are doing, to say happy birthday or new years. Absolutely never was his answer. So why is it you revolve your whole life around theirs messaging them constantly and further enabling and encouraging their “we’re the centre of your world complex and everything is about me” mentality. Thats when hubby realised they’ve been abusing him and only contacting him when they need favours, money or to remins and guilt dad on paying child support. Yes sd22 lectured dad after 6 years disappearance cutting off contact with him that hubby never end the child support payments to her because she and bio mum take care of financial expenses of sd13. Hubby has always paid child support, bio mum does not pay anything out of her own pocket, it is all hubby. 

The next thing hubby is working towards, is his guilt cutting off any allowances to sd22 & ss20 because they are disrespectful, ungrateful, self centred spoilt brats. Sd 22 finished her degree 2 months ago.

hubby has only told me he intends for 3 kids with ex to continue paying $1000 per month when they are in uni and potentially the 1st year they get their graduate job before cutting them off. I have told him the way the 2 eldest have behaved that if he were to end the financial support after they graduate, they’d be in a hissy fit claiming hubby abandoned them for our 2 kids aged 1.5 & 3. Meanwhile bio mum has not paid anything out of her own pocket for these kids and the 2 sd think the world of her, hibby is the baddy despite being the only responsible one. How did that happen. 

Pretty sure the narcissistic bullshit she spits out of her arse and brainwashed the kids with