You are here

Not sure why I continue to be surprised

stepper47's picture

Well, surprised but not really.  SD15 has not been back all week.  DH has let things lie for the most part, he is still very angry and hurt, and wanted to let some of the dust settle.  He did text her a couple times to let her know he loves her, and finally she responded.... only to say that she is off school the Friday before Easter.  Before her drunken episode, we had made plans to take her and a friend or two to a big city that Friday to spend the night downtown in a hotel. Something she has always wanted to do, and we wanted to do something special for sweet 16.  We were going to give her some money to shop, and basically trail them through the city, letting her do what she wants to do (but not comfortable with turning teenage girls loose on their own). At this point, we are not feeling the enthusiasm anymore.  I personally was ready to call it off once I got over the shock and saw that she was going to be ok after being passed out drunk on my family room floor, but of course DH would feel bad to cancel as it is her bday gift.  I am just floored that she has ignored him except to let him know she is available for us to take her on the trip any time that day.  But that is how it has been for quite a while...she only comes here or responds when it suits her or she wants something, yet we are the ones that don't make her feel welcome. 

I think I should go along with what DH decides about the trip to support him, although she is not doing anything to make me feel any better about it.  Today DH and I decided we won't make a decision yet, we will see how the next couple weeks go.  We decided it would be a good idea to invite her to dinner this week, so he called her.  She didn't answer right away of course, but she did call him back. 

The first thing she talked about was how BM and her live in bf just gave her the master bedroom, so she is excited and decorating and wants to come get pictures from her bedroom walls here......they are black and white pictures of the city she loves that DH had taken her to IKEA specially to buy.  So....she had told DH that she doesn't want to live here anymore and that it's our fault, she knows he is hurt, and the first thing she wants to talk about is removing pictures from her bedroom walls here to take to BMs.  AND BM gave her the master bedroom....is that normal???  Is that the reward for SD living there full time, or maybe SD made that a condition?   That was another complaint she has here, she has a small bedroom. My BS lives here full time, even now as he commutes to college, and he has a bigger bedroom next to hers.  My SS went away to college this year, and has a slightly larger bedroom than hers  in our basement.  When SS left for school, DH made the decision that he did not want to change bedrooms around until at least after winter break. SS had given SD permission to hang out and sleep in there.  You may have read my blog back in November about how she spent a day while DH was at work clearing SSs stuff out of his room...and texting SS pictures, who in turn was texting DH at work to get her to stop.  This is another rare circumstance where DH stood up to her - she went through, bagged up, and removed her brother's things without permission, therefore lost access to his room. So a bigger bedroom is important to her, it's something she hasn't been able to have here (little did she know that the rooms were going to get switched sooner than later if she hadn't done that) so it felt to DH like her twisting the knife just a little bit more during that phone call.   "Look what BM does for me that you don't"

Also, prom is this weekend and this will be her first one.  DH asked where they were doing pictures and said he would like to come see her in her dress (that he bought her), and she blew it off saying she didn't know what they were doing.  I find it hard to believe that a teenage girl does not have a plan for prom pictures, so I am thinking he is about to be left out of that.

Oh, and she is not sure if she can come for dinner this week, just text her and remind and she will see.

My DH is broken at this point, and has no idea what to do.  He said he has been feeling periods of anxiety, like he can't catch his breath.  He can't believe he has a child that doesn't want to be with him, and acts like he is nothing.  I don't even know what to do or say, or what to think. From my point of view, I can't stand the way she has treated him for a long time.  I carry guilt because I feel like if I wasn't around with my opinions, he would be giving in and she could be the master of this house like she is at BMs, and then they wouldn't be at odds.  I am so angry at BM.  I can't figure out why this situation has to be so difficult.  I hate to see my DH hurting, and I know that even though SD doesnt see it right now, she needs her dad.  Just a whole lot of hurt right now for no good reason. 

shamds's picture

Where he just accepts things are messed up and unable to change

last year sd22 had graduated (now 23), her dad gave her a monthly allowance while at uni so she could focus on studies and not worry about working to make ends meet. She graduated and hubby wasn’t invited, appears bio mum and stepdad were (the same people who have isolated/alienated her) not contributed any money towards her education or expenses.

but hubby is at peace with that. His conscience is clear as a parent he did his job allowing his kids to get a good education, after that its on them if they wanna treat others like crap and freeload off others or guilt them for money

stepper47's picture

That is truly terrible that he wasn't invited, whether he helped with her funds or not. I totally see that happening in our situation though. DH has said he feels like the bank, she only reaches out or seems to play nice when she wants something. I can only imagine how it feels, if there is nothing to do about it at this point I hope he can reach some peace like your husband was able to

shamds's picture

Your hubby will be in same place as mine

believe me after many fights and pointing the facts i still had a husband who was still oblivious and refusing to see the truth.

eventually i became sarcastic when i had to address things about skids to hubby, it was then he realised how he’d been manipulated and guilted. I told him this isn’t the normal way that respectful and grateful kids treat their parents. That when they behave rudely, disrespectfully that this should reassure him he must stand his ground and not allow himself to be manipulated or guilted anymore and that is a hard thing for them to accomplish and reach that stage of being objective about things. 

I asked hubby why he allowed me to be treated this way by these toxic skids? He apologised and said he was sorry that after divorce and psycho narcissistic hcgubm that he got complacent in disney daddy and guilt daddy parenting. He knew it wasn’t healthy.

all 3 skids have the same dysfunction and mentality/toxicity as bio mum. Thats hard for hubby to swallow because they are a representation of him too and i’ve reminded him if he helped allow the 1st 3 kids be so screwed up and enabled that toxic behaviour, why then allow the possibility of that happening with our 2? I asked if he wanted our 2 kids to be like the 3 skids and of course not was hubbys reply.

i asked only 1 thing that hubby always supports me meaning he sticks up for me when the toxic feral skids do things to treat us disrespectfully/rudely etc and i will always be there for him till death do us part but when he allows me to be treated like shit, enables and authorises that behaviour by allowing it to continue, he’s on a 1 way ticket to divorce hell and will die a lonely old man because even hubby told me, skids not 1 of them is capable of caring for hubby in old age, they’d be the greedy ferals waiting after his death to steal all his wealth and try exclude us from everything. They won’t be the ones at his death bed, caring for him when sick or even at his funeral.

thats a truly sad thing for me to hear and i’ve always reminded my husband that i would never allow our kids to treat others like the way skids do

tog redux's picture

Of course, giving her the master bedroom is more alienating behavior on BM's part. It's a way of making sure that SD wants to live with her full time.

DH should tread carefully, he is at a point where he could lose all contact with SD. I don't mean he has to coddle her and kiss her butt, but he should make all decisions knowing that this could be the tipping point where she stops talking to him for a period of time.

He should read up about parental alienation, the worst thing he can do is blame himself, or buy into this idea that he's too harsh or strict. 

I'm sorry, we've been there - but we saw it coming, so it wasn't such a surprise to us when my SS stopped coming over and stopped speaking to DH.

You should decide what you want to do and do it regardless of what he wants to do - if you aren't comfortable going on this trip, then don't go.  But don't try to control how he handles the situation.

stepper47's picture

I think you are right, it probably won't take much to push her to no contact, and taking the trip away would would be no small thing.  Honestly, I think we have both seen this coming, this has happened in smaller bursts before.  I feel like this time may be real because she will have her license soon, and even more freedom.  She will be able to come and go as she pleases at BMs, they are giving her a newer car to drive, and now she has the master bedroom.  He can't compete with that, and shouldn't have to.  But that is what their relationship comes down to lately, what can he do for her.    I can't imagine going with her when things are like this, but I am not going to try to influence him at all.  I feel like I need to go for him but gosh I really, really don't want to...

If you don't mind me asking, where do things stand with your SS now?

tog redux's picture

He was alienated from age 15- 18.5.  He either was hostile to DH when he attempted to reach out to him, or he ignored him entirely.  He started coming back around last fall, but I think it was because BM "allowed" it, in the context of a child support case (it goes to 21 here). She filed for more support, and after DH said in court that he was considering filing to end support due to alienation, presto! Here comes SS. He's now 19.  DH sees him periodically but he's a carbon copy of BM, and he's off and on with his willingness to communicate with DH.  He's completely enmeshed with BM and still does whatever she wants him to do.

I have nothing to do with him at this point, I can't have a relationship with such a person. DH keeps trying.  I assume once he turns 21 and CS ends, BM will cut him off again, but who knows.

stepper47's picture

Oh wow, that is awful.  I totally understand how you feel about not wanting a relationship with him yourself.   I would love to have a relationship with my SD, but not with the person she is acting like in the last couple years.  But I do not want to come between DH's relationship with her.  I feel like that is a really hard thing to navigate, as she has used my withdrawal as part of not feeling welcome here.  

tog redux's picture

Yeah, I tossed and turned about it for a while before I told DH that I didn't want anything to do with SS right now. He was fine with it and said he understood.  I'm fine with DH doing whatever he wants with SS, even bringing him to the house, as long as I have notice and can get out.  If SS ever figures out his own sense of self and stops being such a liar and a manipulator, I would forgive him in an instant. But I have no room for toxic people in my life.

My SS likes me and probably wouldn't notice for years that I'm not around, lol.  Part of the benefit of having an SS and not an SD!

MrsStepMom's picture

Good lord BM really feeds into this crap. No way my kid will ever get my master. He complained about getting the attic room, which was far bigger, because “it’s a few more steps the the kitchen”. We moved him because the other room is barely big enough to be an office and because we didn’t want him two feet from us. He is a rabbit eavesdropper. He had the audacity to say he’d take the attic room but use the small for his office. His office for work?? The homework he never does. Delusional child. It is now my closet/ dressing room and I know it makes him bitter. Good! Until you contribute to the mortgage you get what I tell you. 

stepper47's picture

I an truly floored by the master bedroom thing....BMs boyfriend just moved in last spring, and I have been dying to know what he thinks about all this.  Either he is just fine, or they are bulldozing him.  But they are also self proclaimed minimalists, so the largest bedroom may not mean much to them.  That is their business.  It just feels very, very suspicious that it would happen right now with all this going on....why not have done the switch when he moved in....or before he lived there....definitely feels like more control, and the fact that is the first thing SD wanted to talk about after ignoring DH again (I found out this morning he had actually texted her yesterday morning, which she ignored) really feels like sticking it to DH.  I get it that SD would prefer to live at BMs where she runs things, but that could have happened without stomping all over DH.  I am really hoping she does not show up before DH gets home to collect her things. She would need help getting stuff off the walls, and I envision either her asking me or bringing BM in my house.  I don't feel like I can go along with either of that today

dysfunctionally_blended's picture

NO! She does not get to take items from your home!

Your DH needs to be firm. SD I love you and want you to be part of my family. You will always have a place in our home.

That's it. No trip. No rewards. Nothing.

If he begins to buy her back it will never end.

Let her go with BM. Don't play into the behavior. And just continue to reassure her she is always welcome. In the end she will be back. 

stepper47's picture

I totally agree with you, I just don't know if he is strong enough not to reward.  That has been the pattern over the years and what has helped bring us to this point.  I like what you said to say to her, I will mention that to him about saying she always has a place here.  The problem is that she only wants it on her terms at the moment.  

tog redux's picture

It's a tough balance. I have to say for my SS, he has never come around just trying to get money or gifts, so maybe he does have some character in there (or he's afraid of DH), so DH never had to contend with that.  DH does buy him Christmas gifts and birthday gifts, and he gets them when he comes over. 

stepper47's picture

It is truly remarkable the parallels i see between the dynamic between BM and SD, and my MIL and SIL.  SIL was the baby and now her 30s. Since I have known her, she had acted spoiled and entitled,  annoying to be around and the way she treated her mom was terrible quite often. But MIL catered to her.  When things with SIL's kids' dad went south, she moved in with my in laws- they gave up their bedrooms for her and the kids, and they set up a make shift "bedroom" by placing a cabinet as a divider in their family room for themselves.  What was supposed to be temporary has now been like 4 years as SIL had sunk into drug addiction, stealing things, including guns, from her parents, or at least facilitating for her dirtbag boyfriend and friends to do it, opening credit cards in MILs name and charging $50k, getting arrested for drugs and having her car impounded, so she started driving MILs car which led to the absolute worst....being involved in a head on collision where the other driver was killed.  Legal things are still pending, meanwhile she is still living in their home, lounging like a queen in their master bedroom as FIL sleeps on a couch and MIL raises her children. And continues to cater to the point of she has made my DH the bad guy because he says all of this is wrong.  It is truly messed up beyond belief.   I am not saying that this will be SD some day, I pray it isn't, but with the entitled, disrespectful way she treats her parents, now combined with her drunken escapade, it sounds off some alarm bells that maybe some things need to start being nipped in the bud before they could get really bad.   DH sees it. BM "trusts" her, lets her move into the master bedroom, call the shots, and is planning to let her take over their newer vehicle while they drive beaters (we had an older SUV waiting on her but it was not good enough.  So we just sold it).  I swear, the more I think about it all, the more disgusted I am.  

Rags's picture

Items purchased for SD's room in your home remain in your home. End of discussion.

Keep it simple.

BM and her BF surrendering their MBR to a kid is pathetic, sick and so idiotic that it highlights how pathetic the three of them are.

smh

RisingtheWave80's picture

This line right here:  "From my point of view, I can't stand the way she has treated him for a long time.  I carry guilt because I feel like if I wasn't around with my opinions, he would be giving in and she could be the master of this house like she is at BMs, and then they wouldn't be at odds.  I am so angry at BM.  I can't figure out why this situation has to be so difficult."

My DH was walked all over for years from BM and SD, now that I have not allowed him to be, I wonder if that is what is creating the tension and issues more than anything else

CLove's picture

We steppers provide a safe and sane sanctuary, where before there was chaos and dysfunction.

Toxic Troll had DH jumping through all kinds of hoops, which he did because he wanted to keep her happy, so she would be "sane" during divorce. Of course it didnt work! I was there saying "divorce now, get it over with, she will not be "nicer". Do it before you have 10 years on the books = more alimony, and potentially for life!

SD, Feral Check Forger, she would be trashing the house we live in, and treating DH like sh!t whether I was thre or not. He would still be renting, and trying to make ends meet. Possibly lose the house, if not for me.

Yes, I took a stand. I will not have a liar who accuses everyone of abuse, and steals, in my home. So, yes, I have been the reason he has had to stand up and say "no". Complete sentence (sometimes).