You are here

My SD is ruining my life....literally

NoOneSpecial's picture

My husband and I have been married just over a year. He has 2 children, ages 17 and 16, who he had not seen for 12 years.

In August, we received a call from the SD via facebook, and she talked to her dad for the first time in those 12 years. She said that her step father had been sexually abusing her for years, had raped her, and that her mom has been mentally and physically abusing her as well. She also told us that a man had also kidnapped her and her friend 3 years ago, held them both at gun point, and raped both of them, and was currently in prison

We immediately got into our vehicle, and drove 100 miles to take her to the PD to file a report. We left the PD with her, and brought her to our hometown, where her mother agreed to allow her to stay with my husbands sister. After 8 days of that, my DH sister called, freaking out, that my SD had been having phone sex with her boyfriend all night, in the prescence of her daughter, and wanted her out of the house immediately. I defended by SD, and told the cops that my SIL had overreacted, had no proof of this, and we have not spoken to her since. My SD was allowed to come stay in our home from that point on. About 1 month after all this started, the detective came to speak with my SD to get her statement about her allegations against her step father, and I was present at the meeting. My SD made some serious allegations that involoved pentration by her step-dad, both vaginally and orally, and a lot of other things. I stood by her, and defended her, consoled her, and told her I'd be there every step of the way.

As time went on, the investigation failed to provide any evidence of my SD's accusations. They interviewed several people who my SD claimed to have knowledge of the abuse, but no one could confirm her allegations, and social services states that since they could not prove the allegations, that their case would most likely be closing soon. We had already scheduled my SD for counseling, and the appt had not yet arrived, and in a panic and to keep her safe, we took her to our local safe shelter to file a protection order to prevent bio mom or step-dad from having contact with her. My DH took her, and while there, he called me and asked me to come over, which I did. During the interview that the safe shelter conducted for the protection order, my SD's story was not consistent with what she had told the detective. Pretty inconsistent, in fact, and details that would not likely to be skewed, for example, she told the safe shelter woman that he had not penetrated her, that he had masturbated on her, and that he had dangled his penis and balls in her face, but not forced himself into her mouth as she had told the detective, and that the instances of where this happened was not the same either. Red flags went up for us both, and so I made some phone calls to the county in which the supposed rape by gun point occurred and spoke with the states attorney who informed me that, no, my SD had not been raped, or held at gun point, and that yes, he was in prison for having sexual contact with her friend, but that he never touched my SD.

At this point, we didn't know what to do. The social worker and detective were talking about charging my SD with false allegations, and that placement might be an option for her. Still holding out hope, we waited until after the appointment with the counselor. At the appointment, we talked with the psychiatric provider, and after reviewing my SD's records, which we had no access to, she clearly states to us "you are in danger with her in your home. She has accused several people of sexual assault, none of which has been proven, including her younger brother's friend, and she has a violent past. She has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, conduct disorder, and ADHD, and if the state is recommending placement, I suggest you do it." And so we did. For a month. And then we agreed to bring her back into our home.

It was going well, until last week. Without us knowing, she began having regular contact with her mother, and suddenly, she said she wanted to go back to her mom's. With the court order in place for her to be in our care, we didn't know what the options were, so we told her we would check into it. Then suddenly, I became her target. She told my DH's family that I'm mean to her, that I've said mean things, and that she's not comfortable being around me, and that's why she wants to go home. She has since been placed back with her mother, because quite honestly, we are scared to have her in our home, and I have NEVER mistreated her or said a mean thing to her. I've done nothing but bend over backwards for this girl, just to be stabbed in the back, and if she didn't get her way, we were afraid she would take the allegations to the next step.

Since then, my DH's family has been texting him, telling him that his "f**king wife" shouldn't have interferred, why would he let me control everything, and that his daughter should've been first, on and on. I'm devastated. I did nothing wrong to this girl, but all she had to say was that I was horrible to her, and suddenly they all believe it. I don't get it, and neither does my husband, who has been defending me with all that he has. It doesn't make sense to me how they can't see it?? I was never even alone with her in all the time she was with us and neither was my husband for this reason! And if her bio mom and step dad were SO horrible, why would she go back? Even on my worst day, I couldn't have been nearly as terrible as they were on their best day! But somehow, I'm the worst.

I love my husband, with all of my heart, and we are so good for each other, but I can't live with his family treating me like this,and it's not fair to him to be in the middle, but I'm not sure I can forgive them for this. We live in a small town and everyone is hearing about how bad I am not to mention my own children's father. I don't know what to do. My SD obviously has some serious mental health issues and I tried desperately to get her help, but in the end, I lost, she won, and I'm paying the consequences.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for listening.

tog redux's picture

Well, you just had a run in with a personality disordered step daughter! DH needs to just tell them the truth and to knock off any comments about you or SD, it's none of their business. As you found out, people like her convince others they are victims (you fell for it too), but most healthy people find out eventually.  I'm sure BM is a hot mess, too, given that she alienated these girls from their father for 12 years.

DH should not entertain any conversations with his family about the situation, just shut it down. It will blow over - either they will see who she is (SIL did), or they will be angry at DH, and so be it. 

hereiam's picture

So, after 12 years of NO contact, the girl, just out of the blue, contacts your husband and tells him all of these stories? Abused and raped by the SF for years, abused by her mother, kidnapped and raped? And you and your husband just run off to get her? You guys sure walked into a shit show.

twoviewpoints's picture

Well, now I'm confused. Did you dump the guy you wrote about five and six years ago and marry someone else?

Five years ago the 12yr old SS was very much seeing  his father and you were freaking out about victoria secret catalogs and skid masturbating in your BD's  panties. 

Now you have a 17yr old SS who hasn't seen his father in 12 years.

NoOneSpecial's picture

Actually, I left that man after years of being miserable. I reconnected with an old childhood friend, and he is amazing and wonderful to me, and we got married last July. My husbands ex wife took off with the kids, and he hadn't had contact with them since they were 4 and 5 years old. 

Kes's picture

I had a look at your other posts and there does seem to be an unprecedented amount of drama that goes on in your family.  Just reading the above OP makes my head spin at the sheer chaos of it all.   Maybe this is what you need to look at - and see what you might be doing to contribute to it.  

NoOneSpecial's picture

I'd like to think I'm doing pretty well as a mother myself. My oldest is getting married next month, my 2nd oldest graduated from college and is buying his first house at the age of 20, my 3rd works a ft job as a mechanic, and my 2 youngest are bright happy kids. It appears my "contribution" isnt too bad if you ask me. 

HollyWoods's picture

I want to tell you how sorry I am that you are having to go through this. It is absolutely unacceptable how this child is acting and how ridiculous it is that people listen to her. I am sure she knows what she is doing but doesn't care and that is very hurtful. My 14 year old step-son tried to burn my house down and we made him sleep outside in a tent for one night because I was scared out of my mind. He went to school the next day throwing a pity party and they called CPS! It ended up being fine but I was so upet at him!! He was the one who did something wrong and when we punished him in a way that actually made him THINK about it he went crying to anyone that would listen!! After all the issues he has had and they know how he is they would do that! 

So, I feel your pain. I have been with my husband for almost 4 years and married for almost 2. I have been in his children's lives for almost 3. It's been hell. And now we have sole custody because their mom left the country. I knew it was best for them but not what was best for me. So I tried not to be selfish and agreed that this must be done. But now it has been insanity and I want ever so much to take it back! I really hope that the two of you stand strong together. It'll be alright as long as you have each other. Good luck! <3

NoOneSpecial's picture

Thank you. We are rock solid, but hes afraid I'll leave him over this, which will never happen! Unfortunately for my poor husband, hes heartbroken about his daughter, but says, this is not his daughter. After talking to BM several times, it's obvious that they both have a personality disorder, and without help, not much can be done Sad

HollyWoods's picture

My husband and I are glued together too! He finally sees the manipulation and crap they are throwing and it's just like their mother...so thankfully we support one another. I had to tell him the very same last night- I don't care if I go insane I am not leaving him. He's my whole world. <3 As long as you both are strong- you will be ok- that kid is just a piece of crap someone else crapped out. And we gotta do our own crap! lol ;) 

NoOneSpecial's picture

Good for you! It is unfortunate, but my husband really is the most amazing man I know, and have an unbreakable bond to each other. And yes, I dont have time for someone else's crap haha! Love it!

Harry's picture

Perfessional mental help.  She is sick mentally.  Nothing else matters,   

Rags's picture

Why is it that adults always believe a kid when all of the evidence and past behavior unquestioningly points to the kid not being honest or believable?

There was a time when parents had a bullshit detector that could not be beat.  All it took was a look in the eyes and the bullshit ended before it really got started.

The first thing that went through my mind while reading your original post was "did anyone call the police to find out if this was at all true?".

And .. Why TF didn't you put her ass on the curb as soon as her bullshit was uncovered?

smh

NoOneSpecial's picture

Unfortunately, with no contact for 12 years, we didnt know the questionable behavior until after we started counseling. There's a reason mom kept her away for so long, she didnt want him to know how she was treating the kids. And, well, he wanted to help his daughter, and so did I. But obviously, that was a no go. The first place we went was to the PD, and social services removed her from moms house then and there and a court order was in place giving us custody until she was 18. But we reversed it, told them she was too unstable, and they placed her back with mom.

Rags's picture

I am relieved for you and DH that she has been removed from your home.  It speaks highly of both of you that you did what you could and even tried.  My condolences that this kid is a toxic write off.

Take care of each other.