You are here

Looking for advice re: SD14 clothing

canigetabm's picture

I have been lurking around and getting tips from the site for awhile, but need some help. A little background, I have BS23, BD20 and BS14. My two oldest are out of the house and BS14 sees his BD 50%. FDH has FSD14 (24/7 365). SD14's mother is absent however lives a mile away from us. In the 2.5 years we have been together, I have never seen, talked to or met her BM. FSD14 & I have ok relationship not stellar. I do not treat her as my FSD more like a distant aunt. When my BS14 is with his BD, I want nothing to do with children, I work 40+ hours a week and enjoy girl time, going out to eat, the salon and shopping, etc. I am tired of disciplining children.

My FDH thinks I need to be her mother, however I feel she is too old to get started with that - she lies, talks back, is rude, sneaky and has serious entitlement issues (let's not forget she is his "mini-wife") and I just don't want to be involved. So here is the issue, FDH has gotten a call from school everyday for the past two weeks for detention, disruptive class behavior, rude, tardy, not dressing for p.e., etc. (No consequences-FDH is Disney Dad all the way - because she doesnt have a BM). She does - Her BM just chooses not to participate, I say.

Anyway, today he gets a call from school, she has been dress coded, clothes are too small bring an outfit. He feels after work today, I need to discuss looking nice and trendy without being trashy and go through her wardrobe. I have no desire to do this. My BD20 never had these issues as I was very on top of her clothing, she is still somewhat conservative - well let's be real she is 20 (some outfits I still question).

So the question is do I get involved? If so, what on earth do I do or say?

Orange County Ca's picture

Daddy needs to step up and do the discipline. Any attempt on your part will be met with more than just resistance ("You're not my mother" syndrome).

But you can advise Daddy when the girl is not around.

If he were here I would say come on Daddy you know when the blouse is cut too low (cleavage shows), the shorts too short (mid thigh), or either one too tight (you can see the creases and crevices).

He can tell his kid that the boys aren't interested in "her" as a person when they're looking at her crotch because her pants are painted on. Daddy can insist on seeing how she's dressed before she leaves for school or can approve what she wears the night before if he leaves first.

If he wants help in sorting through the clothing then its done when she is not around and he doesn't mention your help. He gets rid of clothing that are inappropriate and conducts regular inspections. You can report to him anything inappropriate she's wearing but only in private and his enforcing the dress code does not involve the girl knowing he gets input from you.

From the situation you've described you can only make her situation worse as she is required by her teenage code of rebellion to do the exact opposite of what the evil step mother says whereas she can curse Daddy out loud while silently recognizing his right to restrict her options.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

I can totally sympathize with your situation. In my case, BM is involved, but she is a big part of the problem! She has never been a mom, but rather tries to be best buds with SD14. Bad thing is, much like your FSD, SD14 is rude, self-centered, sneaky, lies, had entitlement issues, etc. DH is also always trying to get me to mother this child, because it is obvious that she needs "a good role model".

That said, DH tries to tell me all the time to teach SD14 things like how to put on make up, talk to her about proper clothing choices and/or teach her how to dress, teach her how to do her hair, etc. Problem is, these girls are set in their ways!! I know this, but DH doesn't get it! I'm not going to waste my time when SD14 is set in doing it her way. Take her makeup for example...she had this breakout a couple of weeks ago, and boy, the drama around that. At DH's request, I explained to SD14 that the 3 layers of makeup she is putting on her face is not allowing her skin to breathe and is clogging her pores, thus causing the breakouts. Also, the "Beiber bangs" she wears leaves her hair plastered to her forehead (where she got the breakout) on top of her constantly touching her hair and forehead to move the hair out of her eyes all day. I tried to tell her this as nicely as possible, but she rejected all my advice! The only thing she wanted from me was for me to go out and buy her expensive products to take care of the breakout...yes, started screaming that she NEEDED Proactive for something that could very easily be avoided by a few simple changes in her routine. I forgot to mention...she refuses to wash her face with a washcloth and antibacterial soap as I've advised her to do, but regularly uses makeup wipes that offer no exfoliation and doesn't really get all the dirt off her face. I did an experiment to prove this too her...fully wiped my face with a makeup wipe while I had my makeup on to the point you couldn't see the makeup any longer. I then washed my face with soap and a white washcloth, and showed her the makeup and dirt on the washcloth that the wipe had left behind. She still doesn't get it!!!

Same thing with hair products...she uses this "heat protector" with her straightener that emits a formaldehyde gas when heated. Both DH and I have told her not to use it because of this, and explained to her that her constant cough is most likely due to continual use of this product in closed quarters (the bathroom with the door closed). I researched the product because every morning when I walked past her bathroom while she was using it to make sure BS19 was up, I would walk through this cloud of "gas" that literally burned my sinuses and throat when I breathed! She eventually ran out, and we refused to buy her more. I discovered the other day that with money she got at Christmas, she bought another bottle. While she was out of the product, her cough went away. Now that she is using the product again, her cough is back! She argues that if it were unsafe to heat up, they wouldn't be selling it. She doesn't understand that there is no governing agency over beauty products, and unsafe products are put on the market every day! But she is 14 and knows everything!

Same with clothing...she regularly ties to stuff herself into a size 2, when she is at least a size 6. When she needed school clothes, DH had me pick them out so that she would dress appropriately. Because she didn't like my choices, she begged BM's friend to take her shopping, and got a bunch of too tight, revealing clothing. Then when she can't wear the stuff after 1 wash, she complains she needs new clothes because the dryer keeps shrinking her clothes. She doesn't realize that if she got the correct size to begin with, she wouldn't have the problem. No, she would rather walk around with a muffin top so she can try to say she is a size 2!

My point here, don't bother!!! FSD is set in her ways, and you will be wasting your time trying to tell her to dress differently. These days, I leave it all to DH, and hold the sleeve of my robe or whatever over my face if I have to walk down the hallway while she is getting ready to go anywhere.

zerostepdrama's picture

I think your DH asked you, because you are a female and this is more of a "woman thing".

With that being said, would it be that horrible to at least have a discussion with SD about it? It might help in that it would be one less thing for her to get in trouble about and 1 less thing your DH has to deal with and 1 less thing you have to somewhat deal with by way of default of being with him.

Generic's picture

I wholeheartedly agree. I see those boots shorts on 12 year olds and I think," HOW did that get through a cashier, into a home, onto a body and out into public?" So many opportunities to intervene. Funding is the easiest hurdle to create.

bearcub25's picture

That's what SD does too. The camis under a sheer or too small shirt.

BM bought or someone gave (lord knows she doesn't buy the girl anything) SD a bunch of fancy stripper bras, as I call them. Too small and too much for a 10-11yo. Every one of them went to goodwill as they came thru the wash.

Patsy's picture

Your SD can try on an outfit the night before school. Let DH make the call if the outfit is a go or not. His daughter is going on 15 to speak to her about appropriate wear for school is not that big a deal. This is his battle. You should not have to take it on unless you enjoy shopping and your SD respects your input.

I wish SD14 would take her queues from me! I dress cool, but appropriate...but SD14 doesn't like it unless her clothes are skin tight. Her new thing is wearing leggings as pants with short shirts. Because the leggings are thinner, you can often see her panties through them. DH has told her flat out to not wear leggings as pants, but she still does it anyway...like others have said, wears them under something else. When she comes home in the leggings...thinking I will not see her when she walks in the door, she tries to use the excuse that that she just didn't feel like putting her other clothes back on after color guard practice, which she wears leggings to dance. Problem with that is, practice is in the morning. DH has also outlawed v-neck shirts, because SD14 is quite well endowed, but she still wears them, and he only occasionally says something about it. BS19 will have a friend over, and SD14 will come bouncing out of her room in shorts that show the bottom of her butt and a shirt that shows her mid-drift. DH will sit there and say nothing! When I ask him about it, he says he didn't want to embarrass her in front of company! In that regard, whenever she comes out of her room in that kind of outfit to hang around the house, I WILL say something! I don't want to see her ass or her braless boobs! There are males living in this house, and even if they are family and do not look at her in that way, that doesn't mean she should get away with dressing that way around them! Not to mention, if company shows up, she still would not get up to go put on more appropriate clothing!

bearcub25's picture

SDs Junior High had to actually ban the legging with short shirts. Now the shirts have to reach dress/shorts length half way down the thigh.

canigetabm's picture

Thank you for the comments and advice. I think just discussing what is appropriate for school would be best. Just to address a few of the comments. She does have communication with her BM. She will send silly texts and they will share stories of what we did on the weekend or school stuff and her grandparents will pick her up for holidays. So BM is in her life not totally absent, she just NEVER sees her or visits her on a consistent basis. We will probably hear from her around Easter to see if SD is going to the family holiday. BM even texted SD that she did a drive by to see where we live and didn't stop to say Hi.....The only person home was SD - we were both at work. The BM just amazes me I guess. No BM doesn't pay CS, she stays on her friends couch and babysits for side money for her pot apparently. That's the story I'm told, but I IDK her so I don't care.

As far as trashy, inappropriate clothing bought - I would tend to agree with other posters about making the clothes trashy when not intended. I have told her dad a thousand times SD cant just wear that sheer shirt with a bando bra tell her to put on a cami. Also, I have to point out the short shorts so I am not embarassed for her to go to my BS's school functions. He goes to Christian school. The rolling up of the skirts and shorts also occurs. I think the one thing that stands out is she keeps alot of her clothes then will show off and say I still fit in these shorts from 5th grade. I usually say "just because you can doesn't mean you should"....and walk away. Her dad always just says "I never notice" (if her butt cheeks are hanging out, or midriff, etc.)

OMG - I just tell him "Ok - Disney". He has learned to hate the term. I have learned to just ignore it since he never takes my advice anyway.

Don't get me started on all the teenage things he is a WIMP about - It drives me absolutely insane:

1. She is aloud passwords on all electronics
2. Never checks any electronics for inappropriate texts, emails or pictures
3. She is on facebook, instagram, twitter, snap chat, tagged, etc.- he is not her friend and does not follow or check any of these social media apps.
4. Her door is locked and we must knock to speak to her

OMG - I just have to walk away otherwise I would go insane. In my BS's world here is how he is a teenager:

1. No passwords on anything
2. Mom will do random suprise checks on all electronics - I also have hidden monitering (he was caught googling - Nice Butt)
3. Mom will have login/passwords to any and all social media
5. Your door is NEVER locked and I will not be told I can enter.

YES - these two teenagers live in the same house.

bearcub25's picture

We have the same DSO/DH.

DSO once saw 'None of your fucking business' on SDs facebook as her job. He told her to take it off. Still up there.

canigetabm's picture

I do keep trying to warn DFH that this is going to get worse. She is just a freshmen....I have 2 20 year olds...it gets worse but he is stuck in the fantasy... Not my princess. Thats why I am torn if I need to step in or just watch the crash & burn? He is such a sweetheart I would like to help if possible but I feel it might just be too late....SD has been in charge for too long.

Double ditto!!! These guys tip-toe around these girls, and then wonder why things blow up in their face! I don't know how many times I have to listen to DH complain behind the close doors of our room about how SD14 acts or dresses, etc. Every time I tell him, "The YOU need to say something about it! YOU need to get on her case about it! YOU need to put your foot down and disallow it!!!" But then, SD14 bats her eyes at dear daddy, and he caves.

I'm with you...the results will not be good. This being allowed to have a boyfriend? Him allowing her to hibernate into her room all the time? The clothing issue? The eating disorder issue? The way she treats people? And that isn't even considering the stuff she has done! Let's just say the other day when I had to go to my meeting for Project Graduation, I checked the level of the one bottle of alcohol that we have open in the fridge (it is a creme thing that has to stay in the fridge once opened), and double-checked that my bottle of wine was still unopened. This is how much I don't trust her! And I was only gone two hours!!! I'm seriously surprised this guy she is with is even going out with her!!! I've seen how she treats him...she treats him like crap. The poor guy is a little awkward, and I'm pretty sure the only reason he is dating her is hoping that he can gain some popularity points because she is my son's sister, and my son is hugely popular at school. I still remember how that teen crap works, because if it is because he truly likes her for the person she is, then he has some serious issues. As a guy, I would not date someone who told me to shut up all the time, hit me, treated me like I'm stupid, etc. The one day he was over here before we left for vacation, that is all she did!

And like your SD, SD14 is not a stick figure! She is curvy!! She is a bit overweight, probably largely due to her disorder (she is more on the bulimic side...with occasional 1-2 day fasts which is normal for people with this disorder...most bulimics are still overweight). She likes her clothes as tight as she can stand, and has no qualms about showing cleavage! She will try to say she hates having bigger boobs because they get in the way of things, but she will not hesitate to stick that chest out there if guys are around!!!

momagainfor4's picture

gosh that is a pickle!! I know that i've had to tell my sd14 that she was inappropriately dressed. she wears the shortest shorts she can find and she's a freaking stick figure.

things I've told her when being straightforward didn't work:

1) if you had an ass it would be hanging out
2) no one wants to see your cooter
3) omg hooters called, they want their uniform back!
4) are you hot? no, then put your clothes back on!
4) there are pedophiles around here.. see, show her the screen on my phone.. there's an app for that!

unfortunately her bm lets her dress like a 14 year old anorexic hooker. with zero boobs but stuffed bra. she came here early in the fall when it was just getting cool..she had on leggings with zero panty lines.. thong panties. she's 14. plus this whole wear a bra then wear a big huge tank over it is still nasty girl if you ask me. cover up your underwear!

I love #4, especially since SD14 is always cold thanks to mal-nutrition! You would THINK that she would want to wear something warm. Let's not forget that she must do her makeup and hair, even when she isn't going anywhere!

canigetabm's picture

hahaha! MAF4....I think I will nonchalantly use these!!! I hate the cotton short shorts rolled up for lounging around the house. correct, I do not want to see your ass or cooter!

canigetabm's picture

Well it's almost time to go home from work and the school dress code is not very helpful from the website:

DRESS CODE
*Shoes must be worn.
*Absence of undergarments is not permitted.
*Clothing which allows undergarments to be visually observed is not permitted.
*Bare midriffs are not permitted.
*Halter, tube or strapless tops are not permitted.
*Bathing suits are not permitted as outer wear (except when in use for a P.E. activity or athletic activity).
*Clothing containing emblems, printing, lettering, or pictures pertaining to drugs, alcohol, sex or profanity is not permitted.
*Clothing or grooming that is obscene or defamatory, or that so incites students to create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts on school premises, or the violation of school regulations, or the substantial disruption of the orderly operation of the school is not permitted.
*Jewelry which creates a health or safety hazard is not permitted.
*“Gang-type” attire is not permitted. The determination of what constitutes gang attire may change and will be determined by the school and district administrators in consultation with local law enforcement agencies.
*Gang-related and/or obscene/profane/vulgar tattoos must be covered at all times.
*Accessories which advocate or cause disruption on campus and/or other acts of violence or may be used as weapons are not permitted.

Hhhm........

Orange County Ca's picture

Having read all the answers that came in after my early one I want to reemphasize how much crap will hit the fan should you participate publically in any operation to change this girls apparel.

By publically I mean the girl knows you're in on it. She's already a problem kid and its going to get worse without a firm hand. Sure she'll get away with stuff but that doesn't matter. When I schooled at that age (late 50's) the girls left home with calf length skirts and immediately rolled up the waist band as soon as they were around the corner from home. So what - the parents had made a point and kept the exposure to a minimum as best they could.

I would have to agree. This needs to be put into FDH's court! If the girl already has an attitude toward you, any attempt you make to resolve this issue will not end well. I get what FDH is doing...mine does the same thing...you are a woman, and you are not really her parent, so maybe she will listen to you. They don't get it!!! These girls are threatened by us! We are the ones that could possibly stand between them and dear daddy giving in to their every whim and desire. Don't let dad get out of this one! Just because he is a man, doesn't mean that he doesn't understand proper dress. He may not be a fashion consultant, but he can lay down basic rules...shorts must be X length, as well as skirts, shirts should be at least slightly loose on the body and not show cleavage, jeans should fit appropriately and not look painted on, clothing should not show butt cracks or bare mid-drifts, if shirts are see-through a cami must be worn under, etc. I can promise she can find something hip and in style with those requirements. I don't dress my age because I don't have to. I shop for myself at stores like Forever 21, American Eagle, and H&M...stores which are geared toward these younger girls, and I find plenty of things that are cool, stylish, yet do not make me look like someone just picked me off of a street corner, if you get my drift.

canigetabm's picture

I totally get your drift I think he also wants me to step in because I too shop in the younger stores...w/my BD and we come out stylish and not trashy. FDH maybe looking for me to help here..I'm just unsure how to approach it. If it was my BD we are super close I could just say that is trash/slutty and she would know its going in the garbage and/or it is not even purchased. How do I tell SD she can't buy/wear something...who the hell am I?

She has to be receptive of your guidance. I've tried taking SD14 shopping with me and picking out cool, appropriate clothes. The stuff ends up crumpled at the bottom of her closet after she goes shopping with BM and coming home with the super skinny jeans (which are not flattering on her), short cut lace tops, leggings, etc.

Disillusioned's picture

I would probably stay out of this one

My H used to laugh about how he felt YSD "dressed like a tart" and once in a while he would say something to her which meant she sometimes changed into something more appropriate for THAT occasion

She is almost 30 and still dresses with a shall I say 'dramatic flare' Biggrin

I would never say a thing because I'm sure she would think I was putting her down, and there have been times when I really thought DH you can't let her walk out the door dressed like that it's not even safe, but perhaps your SD is just trying to get attention/draw attention to herself

I think your DH would be the best one to address it

My H one time calmly asked YSD why she had on a little spaghetti strap silk top at a gathering at FIL's. DH was embarrassed in front of FIL's friends because the top really was low-cut and revealing. SD answered that she was hot....but she didn't wear that top again around us

Another time DH just flat out told YSD "go upstairs and put a sweater on" when again she had on a top that was way to revealing which she was going to wear to a party we were all going too. She had been sort of showing off at the time, asking us if we liked her outfit,etc.. etc.. and finally when she put that one on DH snapped.

But she hasn't changed much LOL....still the low cut revealing tops, tight tight clothes, etc... I just think it's still a bit of an attention seeking thing in an otherwise wonderfully sweet girl

DH's eldest...she likes to wear really, really, really, did I say really, low cut tops and she has huge boobs. There have been times I can't believe her boobs don't pop right out of her top! I actually think that's really disgusting and wish DH would say something to HER one time!

Not my business, not my problem if she looks like a sleazy idiot