You are here

Is it okay not to love your skids?

grumpystepdad's picture

Hey all,

It's been awhile since the last time I posted. Things are going okay for the most part. Had a blow up at the beginning of the month with the SD15. We've moved past that now. Got to see my bio kids in July so that was really cool. I haven't exactly disengaged from the Skids but, I don't really get involved with day to day stuff. If they ask me a question I'll answer and be cordial but I have no part in telling them what to do or schooling or any of that. That is all my wife's job and I like it that way. It keeps me sane and not angry. So I guess my main question is, is it alright not to feel love for the skids? I guess I kinda feel guilty cause I have my own kids. I talk with them weekly either phone or Skype. I tell them I love them. I send them cards, letters, and gifts when I can. I just don't have the same feelings for my wife's kids 15SD and 14SS x2. I guess with the skids it's more of I tolerate them at best. I've tried to disengage but each time it back fires they see me get quiet and it makes them wanna engage with me more. Why idk?? My wife and I lived together a year before we married, and coming up on a year married next month. I can't say it's always been bliss but we've had a lot of talks, a few arguments. And a few blow ups with mainly the snotty SD. So does everyone feel this way does it get better once they grow up and move out? Or is this just the way it is? I know when I was young it took a few years for my stepdad and I to finally come to terms with each other and now that I'm older I love him very much. Thanks all in advance.

notasm3's picture

Do you feel "love" for everyone that crosses your path in life? Of course not. Some you love and some you tolerate and some you can't stand.

You may find yourself loving one of your skids but not the others. Or none. Or all. It is what it will be.

bibleofdreams's picture

you can't make yourself feel love. You can be a responsible person and do the right thing by a kid, even one you despise, but that's all you are obligated to do.