You are here

I want to mount a culinary intervention :)

Lou Salome's picture

I swear, these kids -- they are good kids, but their mom brought them up up on a steady diet of hot dogs, Stouffer's macaroni and Hot Pockets, and they hate that I cook real food. I made a carrot cake for July 4, and even if I do say so myself, it was a damn good carrot cake! They said it was "gross".

I want to lock them up for a week and only feed them arugula, whole wheat pasta, and grain-fed beef Smile

janeyc's picture

Good for you, it has also been proven that children who eat a healthy diet, are happier and calmer. Just say if you don't eat my food there is nothing else. They are sadly used to high salt, hight fat and high sugar food, why anyone would just feed them this type of crap I don't know. They are lucky they have someone to cook them real healthy food. My Sd has to finish her meal, eat her fruit and then she gets a treat.

Lou Salome's picture

Thanks, Janey! I'm also trying to work on their manners -- it's one thing to sit at my table and say something is gross (which makes me want to bonk them with a spatula, but I refrain), but the first time they go to a girlfriend's house for dinner and pull that crap???

(And trust me, as much as I'd love to blame the BM 100% for this, their dad was around, too, he just didn't want to be, so he let this happen. He shares the responsibility for this.)

janeyc's picture

Yes I must say that if Sd was rude about my food her Dad would tell her off, I know I would, its a sad world when someone would rather eat crap than a good home cooked meal.

baseballgirly's picture

They like what they are used to and I don't blame the kids!! Last week younger SS was practically begging for a salad for supper but that meant that SO would have to cook (ever since I've disengaged)... so instead he went out and got "Little Caesars" Pizza!!! Because SO didn't want to chop vegetables, Skids eat unhealthy.... not the first time I've noticed.

Lou Salome's picture

Well, making a salad isn't exactly cooking! But yeah, I agree with you, the parents are to blame -- even the one that I love. (It doesn't help that in the waning days of their marriage, BM encouraged the kids to make fun of dad for being a "health nut".)

thelaststraw's picture

My BIOS are victim to the same...but they LOVE that they get good food at my home. BS12 has even gotten to the point where he doesn't openly complain about eating his veggies.

DW rocks in the kitchen. I'm pretty handy myself.

Smomof3's picture

My step kids want something they can eat in a hurry, period! If it's not microwavable they don't want it. Also, they won't hardly ever eat a sandwich of any kind.

ScaredIam2Young4This's picture

My skids LOVE our dining room table, they literally never ate at one when they're parents were together because their BM hated cooking (and in general being a mom & wife). At our house, I've gotten them to try brussel sprouts even. Smile Their new mantra, which makes BM NUTS is "if it's from scratch, it's the best." Score one for Stepmom (and my pasta maker)!