You are here

Help! I can't stand my step son (long sorry)

StepmomB19's picture

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and am in desperate need of advise - I have a step son, who is 17 years old, and he is the most annoying individual I have ever met. He moved in when he was 3, because his mom could not handle him. Well, neither could dad, so he spoiled him and never punished him. I had to step in and take control, because I had no choice. It was either take charge, or get a divorce, it was that bad.

Not only did I have to deal with this kid getting kicked out of preschool, hitting teachers, destroying classrooms, etc. but I also had to deal with his dim witted mother who would throw her weight around, run her mouth, but would never pay child support (even though she had a court order to do so, 11 whopping dollars a week) and would stick me with all the responsibility of her child. She would only take him every now and then, so I was basically stuck with him 24/7 fit throwing, eating frozen food from the freezer, all kinds of odd behavior!

Some of his behavior improved, or so I thought. He was just being more sneaky, that's all. What he does now, is go behind the scenes and say horrible things to my kids, and my nephew that has cerebral palsy, calling him "worthless". When the kids tell me and my hubby, he doesn't do anything about it, and if I say anything, it causes an argument. My SS even tells the other kids to go ahead and tell on him, his dad will believe him over anyone.

So now, on top of all this, my SS has some of the most annoying habits known to mankind. First of all, I have to tell him EVERY day, to clean up the bathroom after he takes a shower ( I don't think he even uses soap while in the shower, I never smell it when he comes out, and the soap is dry, like it hasn't even been touched). And EVERY day, he'll leave something in there, I feel, just to annoy me. For instance, he'll clean up everything, but he'll leave his socks, and throw the towel over the toilet, EWWW! and I tell him not to do it, and he'll roll his eyes, and do it again the next day. We have to force him to brush his teeth, use deodorant, or even bathe for that matter. He will go to school with yuck mouth and smelling arm pits that literally stink to high heaven, I'm not joking.

Then, he plays his stereo, not loud, but just loud enough to drive me crazy. He listens to speed metal, so that is annoying in and of itself, but he plays his stereo at night, while he sleeps, which is fine, I don't care but I can hear it down the hall and EVERY, EVERY night, I have to tell him to turn it down. The next annoying habit he has is leaving a mess at the kitchen table after he eats, not a lot, but just enough, like he's leaving his mark. For instance, if he has pancakes for breakfast, he'll leave a puddle of syrup on the table, in plain view for him to see, but he won't wipe it up. Or if he's eating corn for dinner, he'll leave a pile of it on the table, again, in plain sight and he just leaves it.

I know this is long, but I really want to be as clear as possible, so you'll get the entire story. I'll provide one last example of his annoying behavior - he NEVER leaves the house! he is constantly under foot. Most 17 year olds have friends, a girl friend, a social life. This kid wonders around the house 24/7 - we have a small house, so every time I turn a corner, there is his face. He plays x-box all the time, or stands by the water cooler, filling his cup to the top, drinking it down, filling it up again, drinking it down, on, and on, and on, and on....

He is driving me insane. I want him to get a life, buzz off, see ya later. I 'm tired of him getting babied, getting the other kids into trouble, loitering around the house all day, (and when he does go to his moms, he is calling ALL weekend. if I don't answer the phone, he'll hang up, and call back over and over and over again)..I want him to move out, I've had enough, I don't think I can take much more...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! I need advise!

StepmomB19's picture

He did have an IEP when he was in public school, but if I'm not mistaken, they discontinued it when he went to high school. He was in a self contained classroom in elementary school, but all they did was pacify his behavior, by letting the class watch movies all day, and giving them a's and b's for behaving, rather than for good school work.

He is now in a charter school, which passes him just for showing up.( Right now, he has straight F's, but they will give him the credits anyway, and pass him to the next grade) My hands are tied, because I'm not his real parent. I am just really fed up with this entire situation, 13 1/2 years of the same old thing, something must be done, and his parents are not going to do anything about it, they look at it as it's everyone else, not him.

But I definitely agree, he does not behave like a normal 17 year old, and I believe it's only going to get worse, and I don't want to be in the middle of it...I feel so trapped! I don't want to leave my H but I don't want to live this way either...don't know what to do...

Anon2009's picture

I agree with SM1311. DH or BM needs to get this kid evaluated. Once he's been evaluated and he's receiving proper meds and treatments, then things can get better.

StepmomB19's picture

been there, done that - he was on meds for a long time, they had no effect, so he was weaned off them, the behaviors never got any better...I truly feel this is the way he is, some people have annoying, quirky personalities that rub people the wrong way, and my luck, I have a step kid that stomps on every pet peeve I have...go figure LOL

Thanks for your input!

StepmomB19's picture

I understand what you're saying, he is on SSI for a reason, but as I mentioned before, I'm not the BM or BD so my hands are tied, the parents don't see him the way others do, they look though rose colored glasses, and feel that he doesn't have any issues. But everyone else disagrees. Mommy and Daddy attribute these claims as "picking" on him... so I drop the subject, it's useless to even bring it up, I've tried for over a decade, to my H he is a perfect angel, it's everyone else with the problem...sometimes I think his parents are his worst enemies!

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

Make him go play outside. I know he's 17, but does he have a bike? What about a skateboard or something like that? My SS12 used to sit in the house and get on my nerves like that. He had crappy social skills and no friends, and wasn't interested in making any friends. Well, I live on a street clamoring with kids from babies to tweens. So I just started booting him out.

"Oh, what a beautiful day! Time to go outside! Come back in at 12:30 for lunch." A few times he said "I think I'll just stay in and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..." or "I can't go outside because blah blah blah yackity smackity."

To which he got a sharp "That was not a request, young man" or "If you aren't able to find something to do outside, I have a whole list of things for you. The dog run needs to be scooped out, there are some holes that could be filled with dirt, and some new holes that could be dug, and let's not neglect the time honored moving of the woodpile. Have you moved the woodpile lately?"

Yep. I have a whole pile of cut and stacked cordwood for my firepit. You don't want to be the kid that tells me you're bored, because the woodpile frequently needs moved. Not with the wheelbarrow. By hand. One. By. One. And stacked neatly lest you should have to start over. Nothing worse than a sloppy woodpile.

Find the little brat something to do until he learns that if you can see or hear him, you will find something for him to do. Or is he at least THAT smart?

StepmomB19's picture

Good advice, and I have tried that, and it works for the most part, the work aspect of it, that is..and the funny thing is, he seems to enjoy doing it! but as far as going out to hang out with friends, we have told him to do that, and he will but only for 10-15 min tops. For instance, his friend that only lives two doors down plays basketball a lot. he has a hoop in his driveway, and always invites the SS over to play. My SS is pretty tall, so everyone naturally thinks he'd be good at BB. He'll go over there, and lag around, half ass throws the ball (even when H and BS drag him outside to play football, he half asses, and complains) and then runs home. No sooner than I sit down, and sigh, here he comes! :sick: it literally makes me want to cry, puke, scream, tear my hair out, etc...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm cursed, and this is just my lot in life...I sure hope I'm wrong

I'll put your advise to good use, I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Loch Ness's picture

Wow, the issues you have are very similar to mine. Annoying music, mess on kitchen benches and dining table, always at home playing xbox, towels and other mess in bathroom etc. After reading yours and other posts here, I'm starting to think these behaviors are universal and more about them being teenagers than doing it intentionally - which has always been my initial feeling. I'm sure it's natural to feel that way, though, considering we have to clean the crap up if they don't.

Don't wish the kid was popular, though. My SS is and we have a lot of his friends come over and give me the "you must be the wicked step mum" look. It can make being in your own home really uncomfortable, let me tell you.

StepmomB19's picture

I guess some it this could be attributed to teenage behavior, but believe me, he is not a normal 17 year old teenager. I look back to when I was 17, and I was way more mature than him. My mom didn't have to go behind me like that. Also, I guess what also bothers me is he is the only one that can get away with it here. If my son would display some of these behaviors, it would not be okay. There would be major problems around here with my H. I think that is what really gets to me, like the SS is better than everyone around here, which is not true...thanks for the advise!

StepmomB19's picture

I'm sorry for your situation, but glad I'm not alone! I think what really gets to me is I am the only one that this affects. His mother gets annoyed with him, which she has told me, she can't stand him, she'll make him leave, and that's that. If H gets annoyed, (which is hardly ever) he'll baby him, and coddle him, making it worse, and I'm left standing to clean up the mess. But I have to say, I have stopped doing that. For reasons I cannot post here on this forum, I don't even talk to the SS. I really don't even acknowledge his presence. I do this mostly as a coping mechanism, because I just cannot take it anymore, so I've put all the responsibility on daddy. Also, I insist he go to his mothers every weekend, and if he doesn't (believe me, he loves nothing more than to be here all the time, day and night) I raise hell. I deserve my time, with my family, away from him. He hinders that time, and I think my boundaries need to be respected, and if I don't stand up for my rights, that will never happen...

Thanks for your advise, I hope your situation improves!

StepmomB19's picture

Lets hope that isn't true! for my case, it is so far....I think I have a baby Huey on my hands...God help me! :jawdrop:

Jsmom's picture

Sounds like you are going to be stuck with this kid. He won't be leaving for college soon. So what is the plan for him? You need some idea of where he is going to be in a year. If you don't get on your DH about this, this kid will be in his 20's still living at home. Yuck....

oneoffour's picture

I agree! On another forum the SM inherited this socially and emotionally maladjusted child that was on a fast track to prison. He had disgusting habits, some of which I wouldn't even go into here except to say his 'activities' were not conducted in a particularly private manner and he left behind 'evidence' any CSI lab would love. Ewwwwwww!

He went into Jobs Corps and is now preparing for the military. He actually thanked his dreaded SM for directing him this way because he said he would be in prison now if he had been left to his own resources.

However I think he needs some evaluation to determine what his future is. Although I suspect the deliberately leaving shreds of himself around is part of the Cold War routine the 2 of you have - driven by neccessity of course!

StepmomB19's picture

I totally agree, I believe this kid is very capable of committing a serious crime, I tend to think a sex crime, don't know why but he reminds me of a creepy pervert that would hang out around the playground...hate to talk about him like that, but it's true..he gives me the creeps sometimes, he's that weird...I just hope we can come to some kind of solution soon before I jump off a cliff somewhere..

I also agree that he leaves messes around the house just to get under my skin..noone can convince me that he can't help that..you'd have to know him, he is very sneaky, and manipulating, if I do something he doesn't like, (because he is so used to getting his own way) he finds a way to stick it to me, but little does he know he's not hurting me, it may annoy me, but I don't let him see how much..truth is he's only hurting himself in the long run because the minute he is of age, see ya! he can go stay with his mom, and haunt her house for a while, she won't be able to get child support, and she won't be able to force us to take him anymore, so she'll finally get a dose of what I have endured for the last 13 years so my day is coming, and I'm looking forward to it!

StepmomB19's picture

Job Corps is a very real possibility - I have been considering that for a long time, and I do believe that I will explore this option...I do think this is one of the only options I may have...

StepmomB19's picture

I'm taking it day by day, he's at his moms right now, had to blast him out of here, I'm sure he'll be calling very soon, and before I know it, he'll be at my door, like a bad dream that never ends..I hope I have the strength to make it 1 more year! :?