You are here

Hello all, new here

dotherighthing's picture

Hi there,

I'm new to step-parenting... and it's a little more difficult than I expected. I raised a daughter who is now 21, I know that raising a teenager is no walk in the park. Step-parenting is a whole new ball game though.

I thought I would come here so that I can hopefully learn new coping skills. My frustration is turning into anger and I don't want that. I am glad to have found a place where there are other people experiencing the same things I am. I hope I can also be a source of support along the way.

Unfreakingreal's picture

I wouldn't say ST is teeming with anger, I would say that a lot of us step parents are frustrated and we found this site so we may vent w/o being judged or being called BAD people. This site has helped me ALOT, because it is good to know that I am not alone in my struggle.
How old is the step child you are dealing with?

glynne's picture

Welcome,

"Teeming with anger"....I don't think so. Although we do have a few who criticize and judge when others vent their frustration and anger. Venting is one of the reasons for this site. We can vent here, gain perspective and use that objectivity at home.

My suggestion is to write what you feel and read other blogs that apply to you. You can also flag a comment as offensive if you find it so and delete any comment on your blog that you dislike.

I have an adult SD also. I've known her since she was 9 - we are now estranged and it still hurts when I look back on how close we were to where we are now. Sad, very sad.

Again welcome and I hope that you find friends here.

poisonivy's picture

"We can vent here, gain perspective and use that objectivity at home."

Definitely....

dotherighthing's picture

My step son is 14. I can't imagine things are going to get any better with him for a long while so I need to do something. I like what you said poisonivy:

"We can vent here, gain perspective and use that objectivity at home."

That's exactly what I need right now! I feel that I got off to a pretty good start with my step son but I'm starting to get worn down. He's rude, disrespectful... you all know how it is... My husband is a great guy and he's trying so hard to be fair to me. Lately he's been stressed out not only with his son's behavior but my angry mood on top of it all. This is not good for anybody.

I remember when my daughter was a teenager, it was like a hellish roller coaster ride and I desperately wanted off! But there was no getting off!

I'm glad I found this place. I feel better already Smile

clareezine's picture

Hi I'm new here, haven't been SM very long, but boy do i wish I have found this website a bit sooner!
I guess it's never too late to learn.

jojo68's picture

Welcome dotherightthing....you have definately come to the right place to vent. It is not teaming with anger...we are just like you and we listen and give advice when we can and share our stories.