You are here

Frustrated

firefly2405's picture

I am brand new to this group and I need someone to vent too. I have a 14 year old SD. I came into her life 3.5 years ago. She currently resides with her mom full time and only sees her dad and I every second weekend. However, we have noticed a significant change in how she acts. Her dad has been fighting to create a relationship with her for years and nothing happens. He cannot have conversations with her about ANYTHING. Either she gives one word answers, or the conversations make her feel uncomfortable and she cries and goes home to mom. She sleeps till noon all the time. Lives in front of the tv. Grunts and groans when its time to do small chores. Gives attitude when we have to go out somewhere. Does not say please and thank you. (She has to be told, like a 5 year old). She is incapabable of making her own desicions on things, she needs someone to do it for her (Like telling her when to shower and put on deodorant). She has no respect for other people. My parents feel very unwelcomed and ignored by her when they come to visit. Same with my MIL. She does not spend time with her granddaughter for these reasons. She is constantly giving people a smartass attitude. She shows no emotion or says sorry when she is in the wrong.  She has no interest in being a part of this family and it shows. I believe she lies to her dad about certain things or only tells him what he wants to hear so he will stop talking to her.  This has been going on for a few years now and her dad and I are at the point where we are beyond frustrated. I have tried to like his daughter to the best of my ability, and have tried to be there and guide her in the right direction, but there is no mutual respect. I have given up on her. Every time she comes here now, there in tension in our home. I know that her mom is batshit crazy. I have heard stories from people who know her, and I have heard how she talks to my husabnd on the phone. She lays alot of blame on him for things, and I strongly believe that her mom is the cause of all this.  My stress levels rise just thinking about the whole thing, its even worse when my SD comes here. I have tried speaking to my husband about this and tried coming up with solutions, but he does nothing. Or he does say something and then does not stick to it. He is afraid that if he is too hard on her that she will not want to come here anymore.

Normally I love kids, but honestly, this one, I cannot stand. I understand that she is a teenager and going through life. But to act like this, does not sit well with me. I went through a smiliar situation when I was her age. I grew up with a SM and she was horrible to me and lied to my dad about things. I was scared to be near her or tell my dad the truth as she made me out to be a liar. I told myself that if I ever met someone who had kids of their own, that I would learn to love them as my own not not treat them the way I was treated, or be the kind of SM I had. However, my SD has made that extreamely difficult, to the point of me not even wanting her here anymore. My husand (Her dad) and I are happy people all the time when she is not here, we are out enjoying life. But the moment her weekends approch, the atmoshpere changes, we waste our weekends away in front of a TV, there is no conversations. Its literally a waste for my husand and I. I am so fed up with everything. What do I do?

Evil4's picture

" but he does nothing. Or he does say something and then does not stick to it. He is afraid that if he is too hard on her that she will not want to come here anymore."

This is why your SD won't change. She does what she does because she can. There are no consistent consequences. You don't have an SD problem, you have a DH problem. 

firefly2405's picture

oh! I totally agree. And we have tried certain things with her, and she just agrees with it. It doesn't seem to change anything. I do not think growing up she has ever been disciplined or had consequences. We just had this conversation a month ago the last time she was here, because he was frustrated with her attitude. But i consistantly sound like a broken record with him. He says he understands where I am coming from but what would I like him to do about it? I know that last summer he gave her freedom of the house. She can stay up until a certain time and watch her shows, as long as she clean up after herself, and she has to be up at noon hour, unless we are going somewhere then she has to be up earlier. Maybe he thinks by doing the things he does by giving her what she wants will make her be closer to him, when its in fact causing problems.I personally feel like she hasn't given us a reason to deserve that freedom. I feel the strain between my DH and I when she is here. I have tried to lay down some rules but they get tossed. I gave up with things a year ago. Is it best for me to just back off and let him handle the situation? 

ESMOD's picture

She is behaving how she was allowed to behave as she grew up.  some of that is and was your DH's responsibility to work on improving.  If she refuses to participate in the household.. then it's your DH's issue to deal with.. 

firefly2405's picture

That's just it tho. He has tried many times time help her, especially with her not having many life skills. But she shows no interest in learning anything. She would rather sit in front of the tv. I know he has missed a lot of weekends with her because of her mom.  When we do have her, we try to teach her things, but we get nothing.

ESMOD's picture

My parents would have removed the TV.. we would not have been allowed to act that way.  We would have been up.. going for a walk with our parents... they would have taken us out of the house.

He may have "asked" her to do other things.. but she was allowed to do what she wanted.. not do as she was told.  

People give kids way too much latitude on what they do.. as kids we were TOLD... we can do this.. the alternative is "that' and "that" was usually a chore.

Evil4's picture

To echo what ESMOD said, there's requiring a kid to follow through on something rather than just "asking" them.

It is the consistency that's behind "requiring" or "telling" a kid rather than "asking" or just hoping if their request is honoured. Your DH can try everything under the sun but it's all futile attempts and none of it will work no matter how wonderful the strategy is because there's no follow through. His backing down out of fear of losing his DD is what's teaching her that what she does works and is OK. She will never stop. 

BobbyDazzler's picture

"I know that her mom is batshit crazy"...that and the fact that DH isn't stepping in and really talking to her in depth about the attitude has put you directly in the middle of a dysfunctional sandwich.  What if you said to your DH 'she can't come here again until YOU'VE had a talk with her?'  Maybe if his hand was forced he'd be proactive.  What is it with husbands anyway?  Mine has been blind to his oldest son (now 38 yo) from the time I met him 16 years ago and has been the cause of many an argument between us.  It's written off as "you just don't like him" instead of addressing the disrpectful behavior that still continues.  I've disengaged from him, his wife and 2 little girls and it's very freeing.  I pray you find some peace and resolution.